:knowledge
Years ago

Why no interest in the Rollers?

anyone got any EXCITING news. everything is a bit boring on here at the moment!
surprised there were no comments re the aussie rollers winning a gold medal. doesn't anyone care???
these guys give 100% in more trying cicumstances than the "Boomers" yet hardly get any accolades.

Topic #17351 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

You can't force people to be interested in a topic. Just keep talking about it and if anyone is interested, they'll join you.

In the future, can you think of a better topic title than 'news'? Thanks.

Reply #204194 | Report this post

Years ago

well, no, Isaac, guess it was the wrong topic title, because there was actually no news.
understand what you mean though.
think I have been reprimanded!

Reply #204200 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

U got a little ball for a thread with no comments u should be happy lol.

Reply #204204 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Gold Coast Rollers folded years ago

Reply #204207 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Wheelchair basketball is a bit like women's basketball for me. The parts of basketball (apart from the heart and soul of the game itself) that appeal to me are in particular the athleticism and agility in which the men can move and the size of the men that do it. Take that away and I'm not particularly interested in it anymore. Just me

Reply #204212 | Report this post

Years ago

are you saying that women basketballers are not athletic and agile?
shame on you!

Reply #204254 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Paralympic events aren't widely followed because of the same reason the NBL isn't a leading sport in the country... no advertising.

You advertise the sport and you get a hook like the AFL's "I'd like to see that" or the A-League's "90 minutes, 90 emotions" and you'll get an audience.

Unfortunately my likeness to the sport is on similar wavelengths to lockstock. I prefer fast-paced sports with no downtime and unfortunately Wheelchair basketball isn't up there yet. (not until jet powered hoverchairs are invented)

Reply #204296 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Not compared to the men

Reply #204354 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Surely you can't help being amazed at what they can achieve against all odds. Not only in basketball but all the events. They are the true heroes of sport.

Reply #204361 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"the A-League's 90 minutes, 90 emotions'"

1. Boredom
2. Anger
3. Sickness
4. Regret
5. Depresion
6... what else is there???

Reply #204365 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

EC - I agree (apart from maybe the true heroes of sport part because there are plenty of them non-wheelchair bound too (eg Lance Armstrong, Sean Elliot, Alonzo Mourning, Yinka Dare, Dikembe Mutombo and any athlete (and there are many) who goes out of their way to make other people's lives better or inspire others)). But having said that I am sure many of the wheelchair athletes have defied some pretty crazy odds to be playing the game they love.

My comment was purely related to the fact that I don't get a hell of a lot of excitement or enjoyment watching wheelchair basketball.

Reply #204387 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My true heroes comment came from the fact that before they can even reach the great heights they have in sport, they've had a huge hurdle to overcome in their disability. Lockstock you are right however that its not as entertaining to watch. If you separate the entertainment factor from the skill factor, you would have to agree they are pretty amazing.

Reply #204389 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754