Quagmire
Years ago

Grizzlies get burned.

I thought i would post this, no real news here, just a writers opinion, but it is a great burn.

And chances are there are no Griz fans in Australia that will take offence!

"Flat out, the Grizzlies will be pushing to have one of the worst records of all time. Their veterans are the worst sort of dregs: Greg Buckner, Antoine Walker, and Marko Jaric. Useless, Cancer, Slacker. Their frontcourt is horribly weak. Marc Gasol -- if he makes a successful transition to the U.S. -- is a good Oberto-like backup big, but other than Marc, there's no one to rebound or play in the paint. Darko has finally developed ... into a foul- and injury-prone stiff. Hakim Warrick and Darrell Arthur provide no post presence and combined weigh as much as Marc Gasol, and the new Iranian import Haddadi is both raw and twenty-three, a bad combination. The Memphis guards aren't going to be tremendously better. O.J. Mayo was simply not that good in college, and I already have doubts he'll ever be a top tier shooting guard in the league, much less be one in his rookie season. Mike Conley showed last year he was injury prone and merely okay when he wasn't hurt, Kyle Lowry showed he was fierce but limited, and Javaris Crittenton showed ... well not a lot because he played so little -- which is its own indictment. That leaves Rudy Gay. He's a good scorer, but he's not all-around good, and he's probably not even a franchise player. Put him on the Hornets, and I'd rank him as only the fourth best player behind Paul, West and Chandler. And that's my entire problem with these Grizzlies. They have one player who could start for most of the teams of the league(Gay), four players that would be in a nine-man rotation because they are young and show promise(Conley, Lowry, Mayo, Gasol) and that's it. If they break 15 wins this season, I'll be impressed."

Topic #17357 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"O.J. Mayo was simply not that good in college, and I already have doubts he'll ever be a top tier shooting guard in the league"

BS

Reply #204219 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I really rate Conley, I think he will be in the top 5 point guards either this season (doubtful this season) or the season after. So I'm expecting him to have a good season.

Arthur has heaps of potential and Mayo was a star in college.

Rudy Gay will continue to get better and Gasol could be a surprise this season.

Unfortunately they are in a very tough Western Conference. I think they will improve on last seasons 20 wins but not by much more. However, the future does look good for them.

Reply #204222 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

ooooh.

Sick burn.

This is just an example of one of the NBA's problems however...trying to cover as many markets and have as many teams in different cities as possible, they've spread the talent base way too thin.

Reply #204223 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

Memphis' biggest mistake was trading K-Love for another guard, even if that guard is OJ Mayo. I think a Conely-Gay-Love (that sounds wrong in itself) would have been a nice team to build around. The have the cheapest payroll in the NBA, with Darko, Jaric and Walker chewing up most of it so I think it will be a few yrs before they make much progress, particularly since they have no inside presence. Not sure what to make of Marc Gasol... but OJ Mayo can flat out play.

Reply #204226 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If they were based in San Francisco there is no way they would have broken up the Gay-Love combo!!!!

Marketing gold ;)

I half agree with the original rant.

They have no proven winners on the team and no Walker doesn't count.

The team is a bunch of IF statements.....

If Gasol is ready for the NBA...
If Darko gets his act together...
If Gay continues to improve to All-Star level..
If one of their PG develops into starter quality..
If Mayo is worthy of being a starting SG....

They could finish anywhere from 6-30 wins.

Reply #204231 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Gay - 20ppg + 6 rpg + 1 bpg in year 2. He is a legit all star quality player.

I think the Grizz may acquire another player yet, they have the cap to do it. They put an offer sheet to Josh Smith. If Atlanta had not matched it and they had picked him up, the Grizz would have been the most exciting team in the NBA to watch.... with speed and athleticism.... would have been like watching a running college team with Gay, Smith, Mayo and Conley.

Reply #204245 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

People seem keen to call Mayo a shooting guard, i think he could be a Billups type player, end of the day, just give him the ball because he is going to make something happen...

Will the Griz take a punt on a player like Livingston, a taller point man that can bring the ball up and get it to Mayo / Gay while defending the oppositions shooting guard and covering for Mayo?

They have the money- offer him a couple of years and see what happens?

Reply #204277 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

Looks like Livingston might go to Blazers. I cant work this out - they already have so many guards i just dont see him being part of the rotation.

Reply #204288 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Grizzlies CEO: Can I help you?
Big Marty: I'd like to introduce you to Tim Johnston.

Grizzlies CEO: Hey Tim.

Tim: Would you be interested in having me as a major sponsor of your team with a life time supply of "Fuel Enhancers"?

Grizzlies CEO: I would be interested... VEEERRY Interested!

Reply #204293 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

This just in: David Stiff to join Grizzlies and Kevin Love demands trade back there to join the gay team - make of it what you will. Stiff/gay/love aim for grizzly ring would be my favourite headline.

By the way (jokes aside) i was in san francisco this year and the gay population there is so visible it's unbelievable, without exaggerating 2 out of 5 guys youd come across would be gay, nothing wrong with that mind you.

Reply #204295 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

curtley sounds like you were hanging out in the wrong parts of the city :P

Reply #204335 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"without exaggerating 2 out of 5 guys youd come across would be gay, nothing wrong with that mind you."

Were those other 3 pissed off that you were coming across them Curtley? I would have thought so.

Reply #204388 | Report this post

oooh  
Years ago

most guys have homosexual tendencies this comes as early as 10 years to teenage years, even if they don't want to admit it especially the hot macho guys and probably most of guys here at one stage

Reply #204393 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754