johnny sack
Years ago

Josh Howard - Oh Dear...

http://linky.com.au/cc4yx

Yep - you are black... and REALLY dumb!

This guy has gone from one of the upcoming young stars in the L to a PR disaster in 1-2 short years...

Is this symptomatic of the Mavs future as a whole?

Topic #17361 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

It's only dumb from a perspective that if he doesn't actually want to be American, he should just GTFO. Just because he was born there, doesn't mean he has to accept their values; he's free to move somewhere else. The fact that he doesn't, and he continues to earn a million dollar plus paycheck from playing in the NBA, is what makes him a dickhead.

I don't have any problem with people wanting to defect from the coutnry they live in, if it's not for them and they don't agree with its values. But continuing to play there and earn money but not show respect to their national anthem? sheeeeiiiiiiit. Even internationals can respect another country's anthem when they play there, so it shouldn't be any different for Howard.

Perhaps he should petition to have the anthem changed to something he can relate to....like the latest "crunk" effort from Lil'Jon.

Reply #204255 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

My issue was with the justification - "I`m black...". I have no problem with the not liking the national anthem (not a big fan of Advance Australia Fair), the dumb part was the justification for not liking it... If he feels so strongly about it - he can go and play back in the `homeland`... What Abdul Rauf did was completely different...

Sad part is Isaiah has gone from NY - clearly they would be like peas in a pod...

Reply #204265 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Correct me if i'm wrong- but isn't America the land of the free? Freedom to express your views?

If Howard has a beef who are we to say its not legit?and WHO THE HELL ARE WE to tell him he should GET OUT if he doesn't like it?

Maybe instead of bagging this guy, the country and its people need to take a look at WHY a young man with so much to be thankful for, still resents his country's anthem?

It surprises me more Indigenous people don't turn their backs when our athem is played...

Reply #204281 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Let's face it, the whole country over there is in one big mess. Thanks George, thanks for everything!

Reply #204283 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Quagmire, you're right about everything. Unfortunately for Josh, American Patriotism blankets freedom of speech with their usual up-them-selves banter.

Remember, if you don't know the American National Anthem; you're a communist.

Reply #204292 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Land of the free no doubt - i don`t disagree... Unfortunately he`s grown up in the era of affirmative action - which has seen the pendulum swing a bit too far in the opposite direction... Thats why guys feel they have the right to say stuff like this - and the Rodman quote - "If Larry Bird was black he`d just be another good player" (OWTTE) - to journos!!!... And then Isaiah chimes in to the same journos that he agrees???... And the irony of him (Howard) saying that as ($$$) athlete feeding off the system is just priceless... On the plus side Chris Mullin must glad his player`s (potential) stupidity has been knocked off the top of the NBA news totem...

What`s good for the goose guys...

Reply #204299 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"WHO THE HELL ARE WE to tell him he should GET OUT if he doesn't like it?"

Everyone that has suggested that has a very valid and fair point. If he doesn't like the country he can give up all the assets he has acquired there (fame and fortune) and go to another country. Same as people that have come from over seas to here and I have seen burn the Australian flag, those people can go back to there own country then if they dont like it here. They aren't welcome here.

"Maybe instead of bagging this guy, the country and its people need to take a look at WHY a young man with so much to be thankful for, still resents his country's anthem?"

Because he is arrogant, Ignorant and the final ingredient unintelligent.

"It surprises me more Indigenous people don't turn their backs when our athem is played..."

Why, what more can we do? We provide money, support, housing, said sorry, Sacrificed University positions and jobs for them.

Reply #204301 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

"Why, what more can we do? We provide money, support, housing, said sorry, Sacrificed University positions and jobs for them. "

The problem doesn't come from us not doing anything for them *now* - the problem comes from the fact that around 220 years ago, English people came here and claimed it as their own, they declared it "Terra Nullus" which means no one lived here.

Brits plonked themselves down and have expected Aboriginal people to fit in with their way of living. Aboriginal culture is thousands of years old and Europeans had the arrogance to slot themselves in here, take all the decent hospitable/farmable land and expect them to live like we do. How can you change a culture of people who've had their own way of life for thousands of years into suddenly working 9 to 5 jobs and spending the weekend drinking beer and watching football?

Basically when Brits landed here, declaring that no one actually lived here (they disregarded Aboriginal culture) basically meant that there was no culture to assimilate into British culture, which has led to the problems we now have. Saying sorry was a symbolic gesture at best, considering that in the grand scheme of things, the real problem comes from Aboriginals being disregarded as human beings back when the settlers/convicts first came here.

Brits came here and decided Aboriginals had no society and therefore the land was uninhabited. Why should we then expect Aboriginals to recognise Advance Australia Fair?

Reply #204306 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That is a good post Black Dracula and I respect your points. However, my point is that, that happened over 200 years ago, generations upon generations upon generations ago. Since then we have done basically as much as possible to help them out in society including favouritism. There is also still an abundance of land where they can go live in peace and practise their culture for as long as they want. So I don't think they should turn their backs on the national anthem and I haven't seen them do so either. I can't see what it would prove either, we all know we did them wrong and we are moving forward. Majority of Aboriginal people would be proud to be called Australian I would imagine.

Reply #204314 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Howard is a Moron and Dalls are finished for the forseeable future. My Tip...... Dirk will realise this and look for a trade next season.

Reply #204323 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

throughout history someone has been taking from someone. The Egyptians took land from the Jews, the Romans from the Gauls(now France) and Britons (now england) and populated those areas. The Spanish and Portugese took Mexico and most of South America etc etc. Should everybody be blaming everybody now ?

Should we still be hating and reliving the injustices that happend in the past forever. just like the Jews and Palenstinians 2000 years later?

that's history ..that's human nature. You think we own a piece of land by right. Wrong we all our lives to own a piece of land (in mortages)

things change, things get assimilated. to cry about something like Howard is doing when you're reaping millions of benefits has all trapping of hyprocy

Reply #204331 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

After reading the last few posts, I thought the title said
John Howard - Oh Dear.....

Reply #204338 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

At one of the Baseball stadiums (cant recall off hand), they play the National Anthem before the 7th innings (for some reason!) and if you move/leave your seat/dont stand for the anthem, you are tossed out of the stadium ... freedom of speech indeed !!!

Reply #204362 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Clearly some people here have no idea what it is like to live in a minority group, let alone a minority group that is so demeaned by our stereotyping.

Your not there when Josh Howard gets pulled over all the time coz he's young, black and drives a nice car...

If your in the majority, its very rare that you realise the benefits and privilages you receive.

I got a job in a bottle shop once just by walking in and having a chat with the manager. Now your kidding yourself if you think i could of pulled that off being Indigenous.

Just try and think about the things you have, your place in society right now, and ask yourself- if i was an Indigenous Australian would i be right where i am now? Truth is you wouldn't.

By the way- rappers that wear band-aids aren't trying to be cool, they are trying to show you that 'skin colour' band-aids ain't skin colour for everyone.

Realise your in a majority, and realise you are just dumb lucky to be in it.

KingJames- i'm trying hard to have understanding for your attitude because clearly you have happily eaten every piece of crap that has ever come your way...

Please take the time to do some research on a matter before confirming your ignorance in a post.

Reply #204395 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

No I don't need to do any research to reply to your babble.

"Your not there when Josh Howard gets pulled over all the time coz he's young, black and drives a nice car..."

Where is your evidence to support he gets pulled over ALL the time? I think you have been watching too much Boy'z n tha Hood! Sh*T, no wonder there is so much crime in America the Police are too busy pulling over the thousands of black American athletes "all the time"! I'm surprised this epidemic hasn't been reported as it is so evident that this is happening. Lucky Jordan isn't young anymore and so therefore he wont get pulled over all the time now (according to your rant) and will then have more free time on his hands.

"I got a job in a bottle shop once just by walking in and having a chat with the manager. Now your kidding yourself if you think i could of pulled that off being Indigenous."

That comment just bleeds racism. Why wouldn't an Indigenous person get a job if they were dressed appropriately, had the right attitude and had the right communication skills? Do you feel that they wouldn't get the job because they would end up drinking the alcohol or steal the owner's money? We do have discrimination laws you know and in which case the Indigenous person would be allowed to sue. In fact, the government will actually pay an employer $4000+ to employee an indigenous person per year!

"Just try and think about the things you have, your place in society right now, and ask yourself- if i was an Indigenous Australian would i be right where i am now? Truth is you wouldn't."

Actually the truth is I would. Let me see, I would have cheaper housing, I would get into university even if my TER wasn't above the cut off score or not higher then others applying for the same course, I would have to pay no HECS, I would be offered a job even if someone else applying for the job was better for the job. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I can accept under privileged people getting benefits to help them out but I don't accept that there is other non indigenous people in Australia that are also under privileged that don't receive the same benefits! I also don't accept idiots like your self trying to say they are unfairly treated when they obviously receive more advantages and benefits then all other Australians. Yet you fail to acknowledge that and then you say I am the ignorant one that is funny.

Reply #204425 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

KingJames - you have no idea. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you are completely ignorant if you think that money and housing fixes deep social fabric issues caused by generations of neglect and discrimination.

Two telling facts - Aboriginal suicides make up 10% of all suicides in Australia, whilst Aborigines make up approx 2.5% of population. That's scary

Aboriginals in Australia have a life expectancy (and general health) worse than many third world and developing countries. Why?

The fact is, statistically, if you were born an indigeonous Australian, it is almost certain you would not be in the position you are in today. Unless of course, you have been in prison, abused and have a drug and/or alcohol issue, and did not finish high school (or get a trade etc).

You cannot compare your situation with ANY aboriginal person and say they are lucky because they got cheap housing and a free education. By saying that you are basically saying all of the above problems are caused by their own inability to take advantage of the govt assistance. That is an appalling and ignorant view, IMO.

Reply #204429 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

People are all born the same yeah?
(I'll assume your not a racist and agree with me)

All born the same, we are then shaped by our experiences...

Then why are so many Indigenous people suffering?

Why don't they live the high life on all the benefits?

Why don't i see them walking down the street with a nice suit, a gold tooth and a 'I just f!@ed the prom queen' smile?

I'll give you a hint- a lifetime, correction, several lifetimes, of constant abuse- mental, physical- you name it.

Its really hard for some people to comprehend this but if you lived their lives from birth til now- no way you would be the same, it would take amazing mental fortitude to rise above it and from what i've read so far- Kingjames- you ain't got it.

So don't tell me we do too much for these people, that is just evil.

Reply #204436 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #204480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754