kad
Years ago

Basketball QLD planning NBL team for 2009

BQ are crazy. Limited details are available, but ABC radio is reporting the following;

- 'Function' held to tonight to discuss running a team in 2009.
- Previous 'steakholders' present. (mmm, steak).
- Moving away from single-owner structure which is a 'failed model'.
- Bringing team back to grassroots.

So basically, BQ want to start a team and run it, BASA style! YAY~!!!

So yeah, unless BQ have been short on AIG and Lehman Bros, I bet I can guess where the money for this team is coming from! I look forward to paying double the game fees to have refs make horrible calls then refuse to explain them.

Good times ahead for Basketball in QLD!

Topic #17368 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

To clarify, BQ want to run an NBL license next season. Not the greatest post every written, but you get the point.

Reply #204364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the face of it, it may seem like a repeat of BASA but I beleive the BASA model would have been great if basketball was successful and NBL teams were able to be financially run in their own right.

WIth the NBL planned to fold in 2010 I think this model could actually work now. The state based associations expand into asia rather than privately owned NBL teams. This gives the opportunity for juniors to play in the system. It also means the massive profits available in a new market of a couple Billion people would flow back to basketball and not to owners coffers.

Reply #204366 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I just left that meeting.
A lot of things are to change with the new restructure of the NBL- Chuck (spew) was there and confirmed that this season will be the last season of the current unworkable format.
I seriously cannot contain my glee right now.
I'm very tired but I will post more about what was discussed over the last 2 hours tomorrow, and I think ALL FANS of all teams (perhaps other than the cheating Tigers and Dragons) will be pleasantly surprised.

Reply #204372 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Will sydney kings fans be presently surprised?

Reply #204423 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Sydney and Brisbane fans can at least rest easy somewhat knowing that the new hoops clubs will have to jump through, everybody will have to jump through.
They are providing a clean slate; all bets are off and all clubs and potentially resurfacing clubs are not having to adhere to differing and unrealistic criteria.
I was talking to a pretty switched on girl last night and she said that the criteria the NBL used to assess whether the Bullets could survive was so unrealistic that about 90% of current teams would not have been able to meet the criteria to survive- they were treated like a brand new club applying for a brand new licence.
None of the expected capital they were expected to produce on paper were criteria that was realistic to any team, other than the Tigers, Dragons and Crocs who are in the black.
Were they planning on having a League then with 4 teams? As if!
I sourced this info she and I discussed with one of my own contacts this morning now that I am back home, and what she said was right on the money.

Reply #204427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which chick was this?
the one that was asking heaps of questions?
i heard she was hot!!!!!

Reply #204442 | Report this post

dragonman  
Years ago

U guys are only bagging the victorian teams for cheating for one simple reason.

They are better than Adelaide

the truth hurts ladies and gentlemen

Reply #204656 | Report this post

I'm not even from Adelaide and even I think that statement is a total croc and continued side-stepping of the facts.
In case you haven't noticed, the Dragons and Tigers (in particular) are also simultaneously the laughing stocks of the league- it's a double edged sword.

Reply #204867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754