Who Will Win
Years ago

Boys Grand Final Predictions

Predictions for boys Grand Finals this weekend.
Under 12 - Sturt to beat Eastern
Under 14 - Southern to upset Sturt
Under 16 - Eastern to beat Sturt
Under 18 - Sturt to beat Forestville

Topic #17370 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Forrestvile to beat Sturt easy.

Reply #204369 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sturt should make a clean sweep of it IMO.

As another poster pointed out earlier this week:

"the Sturt style of play is to intimidate and pressure the opponents in defence to make them crack. Teams without structure and discipline do crack and this is the competitive advantage that Sturt uses."

For those teams to beat Sturt, the game plan should be to give it back to them and serve it with some extra chilli. Sturt do tend to foul heavily and that is their weakness.

"they were probably playing their typical game plan which was to pressure the ball carrier with 2 guards trying to reach in and get the steal (and then the fast break layup) and if the ball carrier was laying up, then foul them on the layup to make them earn the points."

Sturt are not unbeatable, but whether the fouls are called will be the decider.

Reply #204374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about 20s,
Norwood vs Sturt

I still can't believe sturt have a div one boys team in each grand final ...

Reply #204379 | Report this post

Ostrich 97  
Years ago

It's a sad day when you think that the only people who can beat Sturt are the ref's.

But considering the standard of ref's going around right now, you might have a chance in one or two finals.

Reply #204399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys Div 1

Under 10 - Sturt / West 50/50
Under 12 - Sturt / Eastern Sturt
Under 14 - Sturt / Tigers Sturt
Under 16 - Sturt / Easrtern 50/50
Under 18 - Sturt / Forestville Sturt
Under 20 - Sturt / Norwood 50/50

I agree, one Club in every final, how long since that has happened?

Reply #204401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say Sturt would be the underdog in the U/20 GF?

Reply #204455 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ostrich97, I think Sturt are very easy to beat without the help of the refs.

As noted by others, Sturt's competitive advantage is how they pressure the opposing team and force them to make mistakes.

Basketball is a game where you have to prevent your opponent from scoring goals and then make the most of your opportunities. Sturt have a very good defensive structure, but how they do this is using team guarding to force errors by the ball carrier to get turnovers, reaching in to get steals and using the sideline to their advantage. Straight out of the Coaching Manual.

However, reaching in for steals is a high risk defence strategy as 9 times out of 10, an arm foul or blocking foul results.

As a consequence, their fouls are consistent with their aggression at the ball, while some players foul due to skill error.

To control aggressive players, let them reach in for the foul. They only need to get to 3 fouls before they slow down. Any guard should know how to draw a foul.

Reply #204459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im taking notes here Jack - How do I draw a foul?

Reply #204490 | Report this post

Ostrich 97  
Years ago

Not sure I understand correctly.

If Sturt are so easy to beat without the ref's help. then why where they top in U10 - U18.

With the U12/14's having not lost a game. And the U18's having only lost 1 game. Including State Champs that would be a combined 110 - 1 this year.

That doesn't seem very easy at all.

Reply #204495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754