Boy from Aus
Years ago

36ers Starting 5

Was at the game, and was very happy to finally have a winning roster again! Feels like forever. But I was pretty dumfounded as to why we had Luke Schenscher coming off the bench!? He has played well in the preseason games, and clearly has no issues with those knees. He has had THAT many hyped up stories done on him in the paper, and I know a alot of people that came especially to see him perform, as he offers such an imposing style that SA fans have never seen, Paul Rodgers included haha But seriously, Scotty Ninnis, start Big Luke, doesnt look right with him coming off the bench. He is good enough for the NBA as a fringe player yes, but cant start in the NBL, first time a '10'player has come off the bench in recent memory. But before people get nasty at me, I totally understand the starting 5 of the first game of a long season isnt in concrete and they are working with different rototations yady yada

Curious to see what happens when the 'Spirit of the NBL come to town'

Id like to see:
5 Schenscher
4 Ballinger
3 Tyndale
2 Maher
1 Bruce

Topic #17394 | Report this topic

ExWhy  
Years ago

Early in the season tho, they still have time to mess with the starting 5.
Always good to lose nothing when you make that sub!

Reply #204595 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Schens aint a strater, i prefer holmes easily.

5 Ballinger
4 Holmes
3 Tyndale
2 Maher
1 Bruce

Hopefully stays that way

Reply #204596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher and Ballinger not good defenders so cant start together.

Setting a tempo defensively is important and jacob is better defensively.

Reply #204603 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Schenscher is not a good defender??? What the hell!?! Lets see you try scoring over him! When he was on, Ellis struggled to get effective shots off, as did anyone driving the lanes.

Holmes played probably more then anyone in that first half and didn't do much I thought.

Reply #204606 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Holmes was huge on boards and played excellent D. other then brett our bets player in first half IMO.

Reply #204613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I prefer Holmes if going to start over Schenscher to start at the C position as opposed to Balls lining up in that posi. Schensch is a good defender, you have to remember is playing on smaller quicker centers so on occassion they will get around him but having said that with his massive reach he can make up some of that ground and still make it a tough shot for his opponent! My thoughts on last night were we were better defensively with Schensch on the court, his height and reach were phenomenal and had Ellis and co pondering how the hell they were going to score with him in there?! I think in the second half tyndale was awesme defensively too on Homicide, eventually having homicide benched as he tried to beat Tyndale and forgot about his team mates! Bruce, Maher, Holmes and Balls were all good defensively too.....I think they still have a ways to go both defensively and offensively but the signs are good!!

Reply #204618 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd start Schenscher. (Ballinger, Maher, Bruce, Tyndale).. based on what I saw, last nite.

Reply #204619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talking about positional one on one defender Kingjames u dickbrain.

Reply #204634 | Report this post

Skink  
Years ago

holmes is one of the better defenders in the league and is a ball magnet when it comes to rebounds.And so is our new import he was everywhere last night. ninnis has got some tough decisions to make about starters.Holmes offence is sometimes suspect, but so is the big fellas as well.I liked our starting 5 last night, and will be interesting when davison gets back to full health as well.

Reply #204637 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

there is no tough decision. holmes needs to go to the pine.

Reply #204639 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Schenscher and Ballinger are not good defenders" lol u idiot!
Schensch would've had 4 blocks last night if it wasn't for captain baldy (had 2 anyway). Ellis did not want to put a shot up in the post against him.

Reply #204648 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'll put this here, as there's been some mentions about Brett Maher retiring and starting etc. He was just on radio, talking to Phil, and said he won't make any decision until the end of this season, to see how is legs are. Pulled up good, 25mins is about right, for MOST games, he said.

Reply #204649 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And, he said Schensch got man handled a lot, hopes they don't let that go in too many more games.

Reply #204652 | Report this post

salty  
Years ago

Holmes wasnt our best ANYTHING in the first half! Was very quiet by even his standards. Clearly in games against the Tigers etc, you couldnt possibly NOT start Luke. Thing is, as good a start as we had, what impact did Jacob have on it, that Luke couldnt have? Id like to have seen more of Maher and Schensch on the floor togther, as ive always liked how Maher utilises big men. But when you win by 27, cant go asking for everything in just the first game of the season.

Reply #204661 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Camel Luke did get man-handled but I thought they officiated that well. Egan was getting frustrated for a bit.

Reply #204692 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

so luke matches up on Anesty well? tigers would be an outside oriented team IMO schensh starts anesty drags him away from the bucket, and opens the key? or drives past him? or beats him on a fancy move that leaves big luke flailing. Start Holmes... gives us run, and we don't lose anything on boards

Reply #204693 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I like what we had last night.

I like Holmes as a starter. Remember he's not there for his offensive ability - and thank god for that! As such, he shouldn't be taking more than 7 or 8 shots a game, unless he's actually on a real tear (which is unlikely to ever happen.) But he's one of our best defenders, arguably the best rebounder pound-for-pound in the league, and a very underrated passer. Plus he has the versatility to guard anything from the 3-5 positions.

When ur starting Ballinger, who will obviously average around 20 ppg, and Brett, Bruce & Tinny, who should all average around 15-20 ppg each as well, there is absolutely no need for the 5th starter to be a regular scorer.

Plus that way Big Luke can be a scoring punch off the bench, cos the rest of the bench (Davo, Wini, Hill, Coops) although they all play their roles, aren't huge scoring threats.

Reply #204732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan,

I think you are wrong about Davo. In the right set up he has a lot of scoring potential.

Reply #204740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754