bball.com.au
Years ago

bball.com.au game preview

Saying tonight's game is a 'must win' for the 36ERS sounds a bit rash, given that it is only the second game of the season, but when coaches analyse the year's schedule, beating the Razorbacks - now the Sydney Spirit - at home simply HAS to happen. Yes, these Pigs have lipstick - but they're still the Pigs.

After last week's encouraging season opener, the 36ERS have their tails up. Aaron Bruce was excellent, Mark Tydale . . .blah, blah. No-one knows better than Scott Ninnis that last week's win, while exciting and pleasing, was as much about how awful the Crocs were, as it was about the 36ERS being any good. When Townsville got the Sixers in the half court, Adelaide looked lost. No surprise to the coaching staff there, given the late arrivals of many key players.

The good news tonight is the Spirit are another soft target. Young and talented, but disjointed and soft. Coach Rob Beveridge described their defence as 'simply disgraceful' . . . oops!

The good news for the Spirit . . . NO-ONE expects them to win tonight. They can come in and play loose - something they're good at. They have no chance of stopping the 36ERS in the full court, but half court - that's another story. Adelaide were bumping into and tripping over each other in their half court sets last week, and if not for Brett Maher's shooting, would have REALLY struggled.

No-one on the Spirit team would make the 36ERS starting five, it's pointless even mentioning names. Hell, SYDNEY basketball fans don't even know who they are. But if they can slow the game down, I given them the faintest of sniffs.

Bottom line: Big pressure on the 36ERS tonight. They can't lose to the Spirit at home . . .can they??

Topic #17452 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Ouch a very critical analysis of the game last week! Ever thought that also Adelaide struggled at times as the opponent was very weak? Also I didn't think the half court offence was that bad actually. In fact, it is actually good to see an offence compared with the Smyth Era!

We beat them at home last season with a team that wasn't half as good so I can't so no way that we could lose tonight. They have a decent young team and will pose a challenge for a bit of the game and then they will get killed.

Reply #205241 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hah, the Crocs have a good team that just didn't perform. They're capable of kicking the crap out of anyone just like the sixers were.

Half-court offence was bloody good considering the perimeter shooting.

Big luke was the interesting one for me, his armspan was that big I swear on a few shots he just stood still and flicked the ball into the net with no effort or thought whatsoever.

If Bruce repeats last friday's show, then you're looking at the best PG in the league. Don't think anyone at the 1 spot has the reaction time or reflexes to prevent Bruce' pass attempts and he has a pretty quick release on the outside.

Good points overall bball; however the real test will be against New Zealand in Auckland at this point. Should be a close game.

Reply #205250 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Doesn't Brett Maher write these??

Reply #205251 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

We struggle to win by almost 30? I dont know of any team that has ever struggled to win by that much.

Reply #205252 | Report this post

pulteney 55  
Years ago

cat 15 - I think it is Rupert Sapwell who writes these.

Reply #205253 | Report this post

aerial jump  
Years ago

Geez bball you don't have to take the fun out of a win - let Scott and the Sixers enjoy a positive moment. We don't need another Boti

Reply #205265 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

what a crap review. You make it sound like townsville handed us the game on a platter!

Yes, townsville played poorly, but some of that is cos the sixers played well, wouldn't you say?

Reply #205270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754