Isaac
Years ago

Joyce fires up after game over Heal article

After the Gold Coast Blaze lost in Perth to the Wildcats the other night, Brendan Joyce fired up at the press conference, demanding that Perth journalist Ross Lewis leave the room.

The request came after a Lewis article suggesting that the recruitment of Shane Heal would work against the development of the Blaze's younger players.

Cats owner exec Nick Marvin noted that he decided who would stay in or leave the room and that Lewis would remain.

(Joyce) confronted Lewis after the press conference to air some more grievances, telling the reporter: "I won't let you interview us if you write that shit."

The Age has more coverage while here's video footage.

Obviously Joyce is feeling pressure after a tough start to the season, is prone to firing up already, and is likely overprotective of the shorter end of his roster after a few years of criticism directed at his son, but is Lewis' suggestion that outrageous?

Unless the article is being misrepresented (I can't find it online - post a link if you find it), I'd say that it's even being a little too fair to Joyce. After all, the general criticism is not that the recruitment of Heal will stifle the development of Joyce junior (along with Tyson Demos and, err, what other prospects do they have?), but that picking up a 38 year old, shot-happy point guard likely to miss a few games through injury would conveniently force more opportunities for Son-of-Joyce.

Perhaps Joyce Snr would've been better off simply ignoring the article or addressing any related questions at the press conference by noting that he stands by his choice in Heal (hardly poor timing given Heal's 28 points in that game) and leave it at that?

On a related topic, after the Spirit showed more potential and sank the 36ers, I am tipping the Gold Coast to be favourites for the spoon this season. I think I'm far from the first to predict that either.

Topic #17498 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Why he even mentioned the article is beyond me - as you said just ignore it and if he gets quizzed on it at a press conference just answer it and move on.

The Blaze at the moment have major issues on the offensive end. Harvey is unfit due to pre season ankle issues and Whitehead is injured. They are the 2 players in the team that can create their own shot. Heal will battle away but he cant do it all. Players like Frank, Melmeth, Mcgregor and Pero cant create off the dribble and rely on others so at his stage we are stuffed. So far this season the only positive I can see if Vanderjagt...and he isnt even in the 10!

This Thursday against the Spirit will really be a test and if things go the way I think they will then rumblings at the Blaze wont take long to surface.

Reply #205729 | Report this post

Years ago

Any press is good press...

Reply #205761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps not if it draws attention to his son.

Reply #205790 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Minipulation of the Press is what he wants

Reply #205793 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

i think its brilliant, fire up joyce, thank god its not another article about the demise of the nbl during the off season. There is nothing wrong with a coach defending his players and telling journo's that they should write fact rather than crap, go joyce! Good to see some passion. Do you all watch footy classified, this is great when the players and the coaches can hit back at journo's.

Reply #205797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754