Isaac
Years ago

The Age mentions possible names for new NBL

The Age has an article today about the NBL revamp and is the first mainstream source outside of Boti's jokes where I've seen possible names mentioned:

It suggests the showcase competition be branded to push its Australian  and probably New Zealand  breadth, listing names such as Premier Basketball, The Basketball League and Big League.
Anyone like any of these or got better ideas?

They could head to a thesaurus for ideas as there might be reasonable alternatives to "league" - series, federation, championship, division, association, conference, union - Australian Championship, Australian Basketball Conference, National Basketball Federation, etc. I don't envy their task as it's likely be a tough one coming up with something decent.

The soccer made a good choice with "A-League" I think.

Read the full article

The other interesting point from the piece concerns the proposed rules about ownership:
In 2006-07, the 13 clubs lost a combined $7 million, but Brisbane and Sydney collapsed after the 2007-08 season because owners Eddy Groves (ABC Learning Centres) and Tim Johnston (Firepower) had outside financial woes. To avoid this, the report says no new owner can have more than 40%, which means there must be at least three shareholders.
I wonder whether this will appeal to those who have the money to own a team but want full control without having to share decisions with others?

Topic #17499 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I don't like any of those names...there are so many possible combinations. I really liked the A-League name too but now that it is taken...where to?
I can't believe they would even seriously consider tabling "Big League" - that is plain stupid.

Here are some other suggestions to get it started:
- Australian Basketball League (ABL)
- Southern Basketball League (SBA)
- Southern Cross Assocation (SCA)
- Pacific Basketball League (PBL - sponsorship potential???)

I tell you what though, Cowan would be scratching his read right now. Whilst I think two teams in Melbourne is the way to go, the Dragons would be worries right now and getting ready to lobby.

Reply #205719 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

So people got paid to come up with this stuff? I know they are just suggestions, but apart from 'Premier Basketball', which I suppose you could turn into the 'Australian Premier Basketball League' or something, those names are terrible.

I know it's been said before, but I really hope they don't make any decisions on number of teams just for the hell of it. If they can get ten teams involved that all have a sound plan and have committed people running it, but want 8 only, what are they going to do? Base it solely on who gets in first? 'Sorry, you miss out because we reviewed your bid last'?

Reply #205723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Big League" sounds like some intermediary nappy for toddlers. Southern Cross Association is probably already a name of a retirement village consortium.

Maybe Oceanic. Or Elite. Australian Elite Series.

Can see them working in a new-age "+" (e.g., "BL+"), or something like XBL years after OS X, XP, etc.

Reply #205727 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Whats so wrong with calling it the NBL?

Its not the name hats the problems its the clowns running (make that trying to run) the show

Reply #205730 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Following on from Statman.... the Australian Circus??

Reply #205735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about "Basketball Australia League Limited" or BALL

Reply #205742 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

How about "Basketball Association National League" or "BANAL"

Reply #205745 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

oops

i mean:

How about "Basketball Association National Australian League" or "BANAL"

Reply #205747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's an idea, a league first - get rid of the "basketball" part. Give people an acronym to remember Ando.

Actually... nah :P

Reply #205750 | Report this post

dirty dee  
Years ago

League Formerly run by Chimps or LFC

Reply #205751 | Report this post

Years ago

What about Australian National Associated League - ANAL?

Reply #205760 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

hahaha... i think we should call the current league ANAL lol

could always call it... white guys shooting a lot of threes with the occasional black guy dunking it league...

WGSALOTWTOBGDIL

has a ring to it...

or... the really boring league...

TRBL

Reply #205779 | Report this post

La Paz  
Years ago

ESBTB - everthing sucks but the basketball, something i've always believed strongly.

But seriously nev - call it the Australiasian Premier League or something involving Australiasia - Think big you chimpanzees running the league now -

By the way can i put down my 1 vote for Chuck Harmison having nothing to do with the new league, unless it involves a half time show and he stands on the court with everyone in the crowd having a full sized basketball and whoever inflicts the biggest injury gets a prize.

Reply #205805 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

New sport = Chuckball!!!

Description: a new sport originating in Australia in 2008. Lowly admininistrator of Australian basketball who oversaw the demise of the local national league inadvertantly helped create a new sport to recognise his incompetence. Involves the mass launching of basketballs with the direct aim to hit a live human target as many times as possible in as short as time as possible.

Reply #205806 | Report this post

s30  
Years ago

I'd flirt around with "Premier Basketball" but what to do with it is out of my experties.

Also, I think the whole thing with league, association etc. is actually quite important as I think they stands for different meanings

To be an association, you need conferences eg. "Australian Basketball Association", obviously NBA, "Chinese Basketball Association" where in the finals top teams from each conference comes together and plays against each other.

On the other hand a league, would be just a dozen or so of teams playing against each other
eg. current NBL, Super Basketball League (in Taiwan, at the time they wanted to call themselves an association but couldn't because of this reason)

So it really depends on the format of the competition than going purely for the name. Personally I've always liked National Basketball League probably because it makes you think about NBA and internationally I can assure you the name NBL is lot more apealing than any other names that may come up; however obviously not the case in Australia.

PS those suggestions above are hilarious!

Reply #205807 | Report this post

dragnz  
Years ago

if they make Melbourne 1 team they should keep the dragons because they have higher crowds than the tigers and better support.they either make a new name but keep hisense arena or keep the dragons.

State Netball and Hockey Centre, 20/9/2008. Crowd: 2497

Hisense Arena 17/9/08. Crowd: 3202

even though the tigers are better there will be new teams next season

Reply #205833 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Good work!

Reply #205834 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

My suggestion:

Australasian Basketball Conference (Subsidiary of the NBA)

With the winner of this conference to play in the NBA finals.

Rediculous Silly Suggestion?..... or Not?

Ok, may not be competitive initially, but it would definitely assist with the league's financial woes and it fits with David Stern's agenda of expanding the NBA internationally...... and.... I'd love to see Mahersy square off with the likes of a D-Wade occasionally.

Reply #205850 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think Stern's international vision is for continents with more than 25 million people.

Reply #205926 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754