asif
Years ago

Is the iPhone any good?

someone just bought it for me as a present and i'll be getting it in a mail tomorrow.

is it any good?

i have a few mates who have one, but it seems like its to "touchy touch" for me and it won't be able to replace my 80gig ipod.

Topic #17500 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

I really like my iphone. The one thing that is a bit annoying is how hoops.com.au renders on it :P

Reply #205721 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

iphone is good

Renders hoops fine for me, better than many other sites

Reply #205725 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Doestn have enough gig on it for my liking YET. When my 2yr N95 plan is up, surely the current iphone at the time will be really really great!

Reply #205737 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

How much storage does your N95 have?

Reply #205740 | Report this post

Years ago

It'll be the best, most advanced piece of technology you'll will use to this date.
They're fantasic.

Reply #205758 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Reply #205765 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

exactly liber, gimme my bold anyday

Reply #205767 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

i got one and i like it... perfect cause i travel a bit so music is the main reason i got it and the planner is good too... better than some phones out there

Reply #205778 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Be careful with the security- I've heard it's not so great in that respect.

Reply #205835 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

BOLD rulez!!!!!! with an 8GB sd card, there's nothing an iPhone can do that it can't.

And it's better for a lot of things (business related mainly though).

Reply #205844 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

my n95 8gig is a monster! prefer it to iphone any day!!

Reply #205857 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

DICKO - I think for once you are talking shit.

I cant understand people's love affair with RIM - its almost worse than the love affair people have with apple ;)

Never seen a good blackberry - once you go iphone you wont go back. There is nothing that I need to do that I can do on an iphone - including business related stuff.

Reply #205863 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

hahaha if only i had posted that on my iphone I might even have got the last sentence correct :)

I should have read - There is nothing that I need to do (remotely) that I can't do on an iphone - including business related stuff.

Reply #205864 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Bluey....do you work in IT? Are you an email administrator.

- The idea of syncing information out of my exchange server via Microsoft's worst ever product (Activesync) sucks arse.

- The idea of someone sending a 10MB file via email and then having it download to an iPhone via 3G sucks. ALL blackberry traffic is compressed.....a blackberry could use 5GB in a month, the equivalent for an iphone is about 5 times that.

- The fact that the iPhone is NOWHERE even close to being as secure as BB.

I can do all the cool stuff.....Music (synced with iTunes), Video, Camera, MMS, Facebook, able to send those photos directly to my flickr account, Messenger services PLUS i have seemless access to all of my outlook/exchange information. I have GPS that works great, Wi-Fi, 3G and GPRS fallback.

What exactly more could I want?

I don't have a love affair with RIM, and I see a definite market for iPhones....they just don't interest me since most of my use is still work related and from a user AND an administration standpoint, Blackberry Just work and work well.

Reply #205870 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Mark my words:

Wait for the Samsung Omnia before purchasing a touchscreen multipurpose phone. This thing will kick the living suitcase out of the iphone (sorry to use a sam newman quote). It picks up all the areas where the iphone lacks, while keeping all the good features of it.

Reply #205877 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

dicko, BB releasing a software update to support 16gb micro hdsd cards nxt month

Reply #205886 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

oh yeah and not to mention applies 312mb of phone software updates to fix problems that should have been solved before release

Reply #205887 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

That's for optus, thomo.

I'm a vodafone customer...latest software already on and 16gb supportedm

Optus screwed the pooch a bit there, rteleasing too early.

Reply #205901 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yep but man the amount of pre orders for it, if they didnt release it there would have been a linching,

anyway ive applied the software update, just waiting on my 16gb card to come in tommorow,

you got any interesting apps for it yet mate, if so shoot me the link if you dont mind

Reply #205924 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I love my iPhone, but I can see why people might prefer a Blackberry. I use a lot of public transport so would always have to carry my ipod and phone when I went anywhere but now I don't have to. I would have been happy if that was all it did so the amazing internet surfing capabilities, GPS linked to google maps and all the apps have been a bonus.

All plans here in the UK come with unlimited data usage so I don't need to find a wireless hotspot if I want to watch a youtube clip or download a large file or whatever.

Typing can get a little fiddly, it works out to be about the same speed as writing a text message on my old phone so it's fine for texting and writing short emails. If I was writing longer emails or using it all the time for business then it wouldn't be ideal, but I'm not.

It's also super sexy and great fun to use, I can't see myself going back to anything else any time soon.

Reply #205928 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"I love my iPhone, but I can see why people might prefer a Blackberry"

That's the key.....get what suits you. Preferably without branding someone with a different opinion a "fanboy" or a "hater" or get told you are "talking shit" (eh, Bluey?).

It totally depends on what you use it for and what is right for you.

We'll see how they stack up when the Blackberry Storm comes out too (full touch screen version, a la iPhone)

Reply #205944 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isn't that the Blackberry Bold?

Reply #205946 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Whoops disregard that

Reply #205949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone else running an original/unlocked iPhone upgraded to 2.0 and re-pwned? Mine behaves like a slug accessing basic things (contact list, SMSs, etc). If there weren't a couple of good things from the App Store, I'd probably revert to 1.1.1.

Do the new Blackberries handle websites like the iPhone (small view that can then zoom)? My partner has a Palm/BB for work and the way it handles the web is awful - terrible interface.

Reply #205967 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Yeah...the new one (Bold) does websites really well and zooms, proper java support, etc.

It also does all the full html email that it never used to.

They've cleaned it up a hell of a lot from a user experience perspective.

They'll be taking that to the next level (full size touch screen) in the next couple of months.

Reply #205971 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

DICKO I just stated my opinion about you talking shit, obviously the bold is good for you. And I do take that back - I have liked you and your vibe since sixerslounge days so please don't hate me.

I administer a lotus domino environment of about 200 users and the half dozen users who use the iphone love them, most are currently on the lowest telstra plan $10 per month data (150MB) and the most a user has used is 200MB in a month, so not sure why you would think blackberry is so much more superior on the compression side of things. We have tried the blackberry devices, and no one liked them and the directors disliked the idea of all the email having to pass through the RIM servers - I think that has actually changed now, but users will never forget the old clunkers that blackberry were

Reply #205983 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Understand Bluey, it's cool but what you're saying about "old clunkers" is kind of funny.

Blackberry ruled the roost only a few years ago and when they were "old clunkers" there was still nothing better about. iMate/o2 tried and failed, mainly beacuse they were relying on a completely crap windows mobile product. iPhones were unheard of, and palm pilots were still around.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Notes/Domino, I think the last time I had anything to do with notes it was still version 4.5 or so, and I've certainly never administered remote access to it on anything less than a laptop. But as far as exchange goes, there's just no contest. ANY device I've ever had to touch does not come close to blackberry for simplicity and simply doing what it says its going to do. Unlike just about every other device, it doesn't "sync" (God, I hate that word) but it just acts like another outlook client, a direct link to the email server.

Again, it's just each to their own, but I brought 2 of our US guys OFF iPhones and onto BB (when I brought their email domain into my environment here in Melbourne).....Both of them have thanked me for doing so. They didn't need the fancy stuff and the email is so much simpler, according to them.

BTW....If you're not seeing a difference in compression, then you're probably not thrashing them the way some of my guys are (in fact if you're on 200MB plans, you are DEFINITELY not thrashing them like our guys).

And for security....did they realise that even RIM can't read those emails? They're encrypted in a way that the real content is completely unavailable to be seen. They still do it the same way, but mate, if the CIA, FBI and NSA (All massive BB customers) are OK with it, pretty sure it will be OK for your 200 strong company :-)

Reply #205984 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Would appreciate you guys thoughts.

I have had an ipaq 6515 for a few years..been very happy unitl it just sh*t itself. (i was quite happy with active sync..but then im not a huge techie)

only use it a little as far as email/online etc. Used mainly as a phone/diary/gps etc.

So which way should i go...n95? iphone?..any thoughts

Reply #206002 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I fully understand the stupidity of their views on the security of it, it was just something they were very wary of and I can understand it in some ways. Prior to having our own internal mail server the company who provided it offered the world - the problem was they delivered the third world and it was down more often than the sixers last year - and I think that is what scared them off having someone else in the loop.

As for Windows Mobile I am trying to get rid of the devices off our network we have about 10 users with them, and if you breathe on them wrong they stop working. Unfortunately I think our directors and management team specifically develop plans to keep me in my job - but I like that. And lets not even begin talking about activesync - the only thing active is the support queries, once we get rid of the WM devices I might be forced to retire.

Exchange and iphone I think they talk together through MobileMe - but I dont use exchange so I never bother to look into it.

I am happy your happy, lets skip into the sun set holding hands - well maybe thats a little too far.

Its actually interesting most of our management are going away from mobile email because all they want is the smallest phone on the market now. They actually dont like being contactable via email 24hrs a day. They all have laptops or pcs at home and if needed they can get their mail on them.

Each to their own, look at both devices and decide from there.

Reply #206008 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

My MD has gone the otehr way and has replaced his notebook with a desktop. Only travels with his BLackberry now.

Reply #206024 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Sorry, I had to bring this one back up....I thought this was a classic.

http://linky.com.au/7t7z7

Reply #207430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754