LC
Years ago

Guam Youth Tournament

Australia's U17 men have thrased the Republuic of Palau's U19 team 122-135. Link: http://linky.com.au/gewmc

If you thought that was a big win, then how about the Aussie U17 girls! They schooled Fiji 108-8. Yep - they held another country to less than 10 points for an antire international game! Link: http://linky.com.au/wp81s

Official website: http://linky.com.au/s0yl1

Topic #17507 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not sure a tournament like this does anything for anyone and they'd be better playing against better calibre teams in Europe then New Guinea and the like.

Reply #205809 | Report this post

La Paz  
Years ago

Australia shouldnt be in a comp like this purely based on their geographical position.

Reply #205810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest, and I may be wrong that it is more to develop basketball in our region than to develop our athletes. I would like to see the teams play over in Euro U18 Championships or the like though.

Reply #205813 | Report this post

La Paz  
Years ago

What about a combined Oceania team v Australia?

Reply #205828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would they gel, and would they even still be competitive?

Reply #205837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that would be NZ

Reply #205842 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not a real indication of how talented our girls are surely??

Reply #205908 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

You just got to understand what other countries have got to deal with (I know i was a AYAD for OBC in Vanuatu for 10 months),outdoor facilities, not enough funding for tournaments, lack of commitment (Pacific Time) and equipment ( Kids use to turn up to training in thongs). People do not understand what it take for most of these countries to get funding to get valuable experience from these tournaments.
Back in 2002 when i was there Vanuatu only had enough funding to send one side because what you see in holiday brochures is not what the real country is like? But dont get me wrong i wouldnt have swapped the valuable lesson in living in a developing country for anything but here in Australia people earn more in a few hours than most of these people earn in a week.
OBC do a fantastic job with all countries in the Pacific

Reply #205930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, all credit to them.
For Australian juniors it seems a waste of money though. They'd be better off spending the funds to gain experience by competing in Europe.

Reply #206018 | Report this post

guam  
Years ago

Not all bad, they are U17 kids playing in an U19 Comp plus they get to experience international travel. This is a small part of the lead up to the 2011 Worlds.

Reply #206025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, great way to spend govt money!
Australia winning on av by 65 points, winning the GF by 47. None of the other teams ever came closer than 63 pts.
Credit to the Australian boys, but I'm sure BA could use its funds better in preparation for 2011.

Reply #206532 | Report this post

The Moose  
Years ago

The players paid themselves.

Reply #206534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand they are playing the Woodville U12 div 2 team in a best of three!

Reply #206536 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

206532 , not sure who paid for it but the better experience would be in Europe .... at about 10 x the cost

Reply #206544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The States or Europe would give some real idea of how good each girl is and exactly where the team is in development but this tournament was whale against sardines and might make BA feel good but has not helped anyones basketball especially the teams they played. Are we that desperate for a win that we wont take on fair dinkum opposition?

Reply #206555 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

I agree they could have played better teams but sometimes it's about supporting your region and helping their development. Has been going on in the cricket for a long time and has helped some of the smaller countries

Well done Australia and especially the SA kids.

I sure BA will have some stiffer comp for these boys and girls in the future.

Reply #206559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754