Isaac
Years ago

Black on NewBL: Keep Cairns, only one from Melb

Cairns Taipans coach Alan Black has stepped into the fray over which franchises should ideally stay in the revamped NBL (which I will call NewBL from now on), saying that Cairns are a must, despite their location.

In an article published on Cairns.com.au, he makes the case for the Taipans:

"If your franchise is strong enough, it shouldn't matter where the hell you are," Black said.

"Certainly, it can't just go on geography.

"This is a strong franchise, we have strong owners who are passionate about the sport, good media coverage and a fan base that is constantly increasing.
Loaded with three current NBL teams and a chance for the return of the Brisbane Bullets, Queensland is looking ripe for a trim in the NewBL - we had a thread on this late last week, Boti had an article covering it, John Rillie has said that Cairns should go, Martin Cattalini responded in the media (or by losing to the Crocs?), and now it's Black's turn to defend his employer.

Black also has a view on two teams in Melbourne.
"Should there be two teams in Melbourne? If you look at the A-League model, you'd say no," he said.

"It would be a strong board to say one has to go," Black said.
Realistically, it's going to come down to money. Owners, coaches and players can gibe all they want, but unless owners are going to show-up with the new license fees when it counts, history may not count for much.

Topic #17532 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

Interesting if we only have one team in Melbourne will their name include Melbourne and Tigers and will they continue to play out of the Snack House or will they be made to play at Nosense Arena.

Reply #206057 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I agree with Blacky wholeheartedly.
Geography shouldn't be the whole reason to determine which clubs should stay- some that aren't necessarily doing well financially have some pretty parochial crowds and supporters, so where does that leave them?
And that ties in with Worthington putting in his 2 cents around the League on the 8 team format- how the heck do you justify telling teams that will have to merge or fold that they don't fit Worthington's and other players' preferance for the setup?
Who do the players think they are that it's their duty to tell people what they can and can't be involved in?
I know a lot of people around the traps that are offended by his comments and him using his profile to influence the 8 team decision.
He's paid to play- not tell people what they can and can't open their wallets to!
So for the teams in Melbourne and the players that were in challenging circumstances last year with their then clubs, they could be recreating the same learning curve for themselves all over again and not even realise it until it's happening.

Reply #206065 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

id definately keep cairns and both melbourne teams, wildcats and the sixers. id say theyd be the most financially viable teams in the league?

Reply #206071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clearly financially viable has nothing to do with it.
some clubs that may seem viable are not getting the numbers or making money and the flipside is that some clubs who aren't making money are some of the more popular clubs.

Reply #206080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA - Worthington doesn't have any sway with what he says. He can comment all he likes, but the NewBL won't make decisions based on what him (or anyone) else has said in media.

Worthington has the right to his own opinion, as does every player.

It is THEIR future after all - just like people in the corporate world put in their two bobs worth when mergers and acquisitions happen (doesn't mean the big boss listens).

Reply #206084 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with Worthington having an opinion- everybody is entitled to an opinion.
The part that stinks is he is actively lobbying other players to join him in his push to the top to change things in a way that doesn't involve public consultation.
Goorj is right behind him, so although the two of them probably can't instigate enough change between them, they sure get listened to when they have something to say.
It's the influence he's trying to grow that seems insulting.

Reply #206088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might even work against him if he gets his wish and instead, the Tigers end up being the club they keep on instead.
Anon it really isn't their futures as such as they will still get paid.
That's like saying if I work for a company and I don't like what they're doing, I decided to try to influence the public and the powers that be so that customers can be stuck with a product that they don't like but it's ok because I work for the company so it needs to please me because it's my future????

Reply #206089 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA - haven't seen the article/quotes you're referencing. Can you post them? (Might even be worth their own topic, but up to you.)

Reply #206096 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

This is the only one that I can find at the moment- there was another than had a lot more detail and talked about Worthington lobbying other players and a short interview with him advocating it.
If I can end up finding it I will pop back and post it.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24370432-23769,00.html

Reply #206101 | Report this post

Cusco  
Years ago

havin no team in sydney in first year wouldnt be that bad in my opinion.

Reply #206116 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If we're modelling the new league on what the A league has done then perhaps we should consider scrapping the existing team names as well?

Rather than losing either the Tigers or the Dragons why not shut them both down and start a new Melbourne team without allegiences to either franchise and give them a new name that has no link to previous Melbourne teams. If West Adelaide and Adelaide City fans both got behind the new Adelaide United (despite the ehtnic allegiances that previously made them rivals) then I can't see why Melbournites wouldn't get behind a new, combined basketball team.

This raises the question of whether the other teams in the 8 team comp should also start afresh with new names and potentially new ownership. If it's basically the same teams from the NBL that are now playing in the NewBL (minus a few to cut the numbers back to 8) then how is that different from the current product that has failed? Is simply re-naming the league and culling a handful of teams going to shake things up enough?

Obviously there are some significant drawbacks in terms of lost history and that sort of thing, but surely any genuine basketball fan in Adelaide would get behind our team in the NewBL whether they're called the 36ers or not? And this would certainly make those fans in Melbourne or Queensland or where ever feel far less alienated if we're all in the same boat.

Something to at least consider.

Reply #206152 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Some good points although I don't know how they would get the numbers down to 8 teams and still cover everybody.
Eg- Qld is a big spread out state with previously 4 teams in the comp.
Their fans are not going to drive 400kms or more to support their 'local' state team.

Reply #206163 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Article on FoxSports website today...both Cowan and McPeake have their say on two teams in Melbourne:

http://linky.com.au/vp7ko

Reply #206190 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

""The more it goes on, the more I realise we need an independent board and the people need to trust the board."- McPeake.

Pretty amusing coming from him.
So is he going to be on the Board, or remain the Tigers owner, because he's not gonna be both according to the new rules!

Reply #206196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho is a dickhead and i bet he wishes he'd kept his mouth shut now.
8 teams according to him and 2 of them need to be in melb to avoid backing themselves into a corner and showdown between dragons and tigers for the victorian spot.
then share 6 teams between the rest of the country.
yep sounds like a great idea wortho.... NOT!

Reply #206198 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754