me3
Years ago

Junior summer season

I have heard that the summer season is going to be shorter.
It will only run until the end of school this year.

That will make it an 8 week season with two weeks of finals unless they play games on sundays as well in the finals.

However there is no information on sporting pulse about summer yet can any one confirm this?

Topic #17541 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

dude thats hell bad if they do that, the sumemr season is short enough as it is.

Reply #206133 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

9 games with no finals, start 2nd or 3rd week back next year in term 1.

Reply #206135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems sensible to me to finish up before Xmas rather than have a long break then a couple of games. No finals is a great initiative but would like evryone to play everyone once which might mean a couple of Sunday games for grades/divisions with more than 10 teams

Reply #206146 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

9 week season starting around October the 17th...Finishes up before end of year (mid to late December I believe, around the 19th of December).

Reply #206148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do the seasons normally go in metro?

I live country so have no idea, our season is just summer with no winter at all...

Reply #206154 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

Grades with more than 10 will be split into 2 groups. With cross overs.

Reply #206178 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Just got my invoice from my son's club.... that works out to $20/game! Plus $15.00/week admission for me, the missus and him every week. Which means it will cost more per game for him to play than it would cost for me and the boy to get Gold tickets to watch the Sixers!!!!

Reply #206183 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I wonder if this has any impact on the movement through age groups ? I understood that as the summer season previously carried over into the new calendar year this meant top age players moved into the next age group.

Reply #206185 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mantis - perhaps you are new to basketball but your fees are mainly for the cost to your club of hiring training venues and other overheads associated with runnng a club - I am assuming your son trains twice per week. And, BSA get the money at the door at games not your club.

Some clubs set a fee for the year and expect it to be paid upfront, before the season commences. So if your son changed clubs at then end of summer you would have forked out for the whole amount. Consider yourself lucky that your club doesn't do that.

Reply #206188 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interested - interesting point, but the summer season will be used to grade teams and rotate kids for the upcoming winter season - so even though what you are suggesting would be justifiable, it then defeats the purpose of having a summer season.

Reply #206189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately basketball is not a very cheap sport Mantis. Its played in big tin sheds called stadiums that cost $millions and $millions to build. Football is cheap but clubs generate huge amounts of money to pay their admin staff and senior players - your child would get little direct benefit from you buck spent - where as in basketball most of your costs go back into providing benefits directly to your child - facilities (this is the bulk of the cost in basketball), coaching directors, umpires, training costs etc.

Reply #206191 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Yes, good point and makes sense. My inability to think laterally caused me to make my initial post !!

Reply #206192 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I'm not new to basketball or the associated expenses, and I am aware of the costs of playing other sports as my son has also played soccer, I'm just suffering sticker shock now I've done the maths, which to be honest I've never done before, although I'm confident that $20/game is a new high.

In response to Anon, club expenses will actually be reduced by the shorter season - there will be less trainings due to the shorter season, for example. Shouldn't fees move proportionately?

As for #191 and $1M stadiums, I'm not sure they even had "dollars" back when the club's stadium was built, let alone 1M of them ;).

Reply #206202 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

Trainings won't decrease, unless your club trains through January.

Currently, trainings finish the last week of games, which will be the same.

Trainings for my club begin after the long weekend. Games will start 1 or 2 weeks later giving some flexibility to the schedule. Therefore I would expect trainings to begin back the same time.

Therefore no decrease in costs for the club.

Reply #206207 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Last year we restarted trainings when we came back in February, so yes, there is a decrease in trainings over the season.

Reply #206210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would there be a decrease Mantis? Frog has it nailed IMO.

I'd expect most clubs would want to get at least 4-6 trainings in before the "real"/winter season starts - last year this was also "supplemented" by two games as well. Now there just won't be the games, but you'd still start training at the same time - or else you can expect to come out of the gates slowly in winter season.

Reply #206213 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Because the season is a month shorter? I don't really understand why you think there isn't a reduction, although from your post you seem to be including training toward "next season" as part of "this season", where I woudl include that in "next season".

Hmmm, there's a thought - if the Summer season ends before Xmas, when does the next "Winter" season start - February? March? April? And how long will it last?

Reply #206215 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is not $20.00 a game - it is $20 for 2 training sessions, overhead costs, JDO, admin costs etc.

Clubs can charge the whole years fees at the beginning to the summer season - eg now. When your kids sign up they are signing up for the whole season (summer and winter) and clubs should charge players that move on for the whole year. (less then would perhpas jump ship) I am assuming your fee was for the summer season only. It may not be a true proportionate figure due to the fact that you would get a gigantic bill in winter if it was a true proportionate figure. But either way you will pay a yearly figure, which wouldnt be too much different thatn what you paid last season.

Reply #206218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simple really .... those kids who only play winter are benefitting financially because they don't play summer.

Reply #206229 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Winter season will commence in February

Reply #206294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

229 - exactly correct - sit out a few games and save a lot.

Winter starting in February - that's one way of beating the water shortage

Reply #206301 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Somehow I dont think your childs spot will be held for him/her, if you are willing to risk them not getting a spot in the div they are in at present or being dropped or worse still being told there are no spots left - go ahead - I wish you people would stop your winging and moaning - you knew how expensive district basketball was when you joined your kid up - if you dont like it leave

Reply #206303 | Report this post

Joe Tex  
Years ago

A good analogy....

Now everyone is used to paying over $1.50 for petrol notice how there is no complaint about dropping the litre price now the barrel price has decreased quite remarkably over the last few weeks...

Reply #206369 | Report this post

Endinburgh 23  
Years ago

Joe Tex,

Your fee's go towards TRAININGS, not games. If you train the same amount, you pay the same amount.

But you will save on 2-3 weeks worth of door fees.

Reply #206382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754