Isaac
Years ago

Slingers get 5k+ to a game at SIS

The Singapore Slingers hosted a Filipino team last night and had a crowd that appears to be over the 5,000 mark (Red Sports reports 6,000 or more).

Darren Ng has some photos on his blog and there are video highlights at Red Sports.

The Slingers won the game 92-84, led by Ng's 23 points.

Incidentally, anyone know how big the crowds are at PBA games? I saw on Wikipedia that they had 22,000 to a Finals game! Is anything over 10,000 at all common during their regular season?

Topic #17549 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

"Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants"

major LULZ.

Reply #206200 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

"A bottle of water was thrown in his direction and hit a poor lady in the box."

Huh?

Reply #206204 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

The game was fast, athletic and aggressive. Slingers have certainly added toughness and team cohesiveness to their game since last season and the game this Sunday against Spirit will be an interesting one.

Reply #206206 | Report this post

SL#25  
Years ago

Highlight Videos... damn, that shit looked horrible!

Reply #206253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know someone who went to the game and they said well over half the spectators were Filipino so the HOME team got booeed a lot!. Thats sort of takes the shine of the "big crowd" news because it doesn't really represent the Slingers fan base. Apparently there was nearly a punch up and the scoreboard was terrible.

Reply #206296 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

You have to remember that there is a huge Filipino community within Singapore and of course with big name players they are going to come and watch... also Sunday is Filipino maid's day off.The crowd was very pro Purefoods for sure and they certainly know how to intimidate an opposition team. Just not the way it is polite to do so! Coin and drink bottle throwing is not attractive and players egging on the crowd to fight is not either. More visible security may be needed.
It sure is entertaining and fast paced against the teams the Slingers have been playing and it is much more athletic than an NBL game for sure.

Reply #206304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out some of the comments on Darren's blog

"But Slingers moved faster as some pts were registered when their advancement couldn't be followed by Purefoods."???

Reply #206306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which player were encouraging the crowd to fight? and how were they doing it?

Reply #206313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they say 5000+ but it was more like 6000-7000 to me, have never seen the stadium that filled up, the roar was deafening

but almost 90 percent of the supporters were filipino fans so it was more like an 'away' game for the slingers.

since all the games so far have been against filipino teams, the crowd attendance has been pretty good. will have to see what sort of a crowd turns up against the spirit to really guage how well the series is coming along

Reply #206322 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bring Ng back to Adelaide. There is half a dozen Sixers at the moment that I would gladly swap for him.

Reply #206330 | Report this post

Ace of Spades  
Years ago

although i don't fully agree with you EC, i would love to see Darren back here, he was one of my fav. players over the past few years and it would be great to see him back, although i cant see there's five or six players i would swap him for, atleast not this early in the season

Reply #206331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754