David
Years ago

Dragons vs Blaze

Dragons beat the blaze by 17 kind of expected blaze arent that good a team but what was worrying for me as a dragons fan is the amount of 3point shots the dragons took is 40 to many for one game while only taking 72 shots this seems a bit ridiclious as i would like to see the dragons set more pick and rolls and post ups to get more midrange inside shots

Topic #17561 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Dragons were not overly impressive but really didnt have to do a great deal. They never got out of 2nd gear as the Blaze (after half time) were inept.

Reply #206337 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

I ended up putting a bet on the dragons line being greater then 3.5 points so it was a good night! Thanks Isaac for the tip!

Reply #206338 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Speaking of betting, what the odds David writes novels under the pen name Peter Carey? You know, with his views on punctuation and all.

Reply #206351 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

A few notables from the box score:

Adam Gibson starting instead of Cortez and only putting up 3pts, 2rbs, 1ast on 1/8 shooting in 34mins game time. -bring back that 'most overrated player' thread and he'd be up there.

Mika Vukona- 10 boards in half a game.

Burston splitting the minutes at C evenly with Horvath and doing far better (16pts, 9rbs, 22mins).

Pero Cameron's statistics were full of donuts but then he ate them. -9mins game time. reaching the end?

SOJ (D.Joyce) going 0/3 for ZERO points in 26mins. TERRIBLE!!!

Reply #206355 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Cortez has been coming off the bench all season, no real surprise there.

Burston and Horvath will both share those minutes pretty equally and can only really see one of them firing on any given night. Neither of them are over dominant players but each can have 'their' night.

Reply #206357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Whitehead was back, and everyone else played, that many minutes for Joyce is crazy.

Reply #206359 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You'd think with a stat line like that, it would have taken far less than 26 minutes to realise his time on court was not productive. But then again, we are talking about his father having to make those changes. To me it sounds like a clear case of nepotism because the amount of court time given to his son is not to benefit the team but to benefit his personal development.

Reply #206361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze were terrible. D Joyce is not even ABA standard.

The players are getting really pissed off. Scott McGregor copped an absolute earful from B Joyce.

Reply #206362 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Isaac - Whitehead was back but IMO shouldnt have been. He was clearly hampered by his ankle and by half time was limping badly. He also missed a couple of easy layups and I think he only got 10 mins.

The one for me was Pero - Sure he aint the fittest guy on the squad but he needs to be playing 25 - 35 mins a game - his work on the low post demands a double team most times and then he is an excellent passer. This woudl allow Frank to slash to the hoop and in turn open up Harvey and Heal outside. Last night Pero didnt even get 10 mins on court and for 2 long we had 3 guards on court + Hawkins making us totally reliant on outside shooting. We ahve supposedly got an overload of bigs and Vanderjaagt as +11 if only we would start using them!

Reply #206363 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Oh and in regard to Cortez not starting - it seemed to work well with the team balance. He came off the bench and was clearly into the game with a lot of chest bumping and attitude. At one stage in the 3rd he got the hot hand - and in a flash the lead was almost 20.
Ingles was quiet and seemed frustrated as his shot just wasnt dropping - he even missed a break away dunk! He will definately have some games this year where he puts up huge numbers - very very talented indeed!
Worthington I think top scored for them and really knows how to get to the hoop. He is definately a player that every team would want and the one that every opposition player (and fans) hate. He loves to niggle/push and stretch the boundaries just to get the job done. He and Macgregor had a bit of a push and shove at one stage - ended up with Wortho dunking on him - emphatic way to get your point accross

Reply #206364 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I think what gibbo brings to the dragons is his defence more than anything. But yes he did have a ordinary game.

Reply #206375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get real Xztatik.

Gibbo provides hustle, floor leadership and toughness that Goorjian loves. He isnt required to score. NOt when he is surrounded by Ingles, Cortez, Darden, Wortho, Burston and Horvath!

Reply #206392 | Report this post

goldie  
Years ago

what is it going to take for Joyce to realise his son is not up to the standard (at all). Blaze have some impressive talent, wasting and rotting on the bench, young Demos CAN play, given the opportunity?!

We saw snippets in pre season this year and last year and nothing since. Is Joyce worried Demos will show up, out shine and simply out play his son? Well Joyce that is not even a challenge. Demos is all over SOJ, bite the bullet, swallow your enourmous pride and give the bloody kid a go!

It is apparent after 4 straight loses, that something needs to change.... get your son off the court and play some quality, powerful and enthusiastic players.

Surely the board/owners can influence change?

Reply #206400 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

anon, obviously I didnt see the game but there is not much in basketball other than defense that doesnt come up in the box score these days.

Just the ONE assist from such a 'great floor leader' is nowhere near enough if he is taking minutes away from Tez who is just as good a playmaker and a far more dangerous scoring threat.

Oh and if he's not required to score then maybe he should put up a few less shots (1/8).

I know it's just one game and that Cortez can be effective off the bench but Gibson should not be getting 34mins on such a stacked team.

Reply #206409 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

And just about Pero, to me it hasnt looked like he's been using his body to great effect in the last few years. I agree with Statman in that he CAN be an imposing presence in that low post. When you have someone carrying that kind of weight you kinda want him IN the low post rather than on the perimetre looking for cheap outside jumpers.

Reply #206410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about giving Gibbo a fair run....one off game does not an overrated player make.
Check his stats from the last couple of games and you will see a marked difference from the match v Blaze.

Reply #206430 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

ok, 2.25 assists and 1.75 turnovers in 33 minutes a game as starting PG so far this year.

Reply #206433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has definitely been an inconsistent season so far but it is very early days. Some games have been far above this!
I can see it smoothing off to significantly higher stats very soon.
And as someone mentioned above, no stats for the hussling defence he brings to the floor.

Reply #206437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754