phoenix
Years ago

Is Steve Nash the only MVP ever to....

Is he the only MVP ever to be the 4th leading scorer on his team in the mvp season?

http://linky.com.au/e8dzd

Stoudemire averaged 26
Marion averaged 19.4
Joe Johnson averaged 17.1
Nash averaged 15.5

Topic #17581 | Report this topic

Kingjames  
Years ago

Is he the first MVP to lead the league in assist? I'm sure I am probably wrong there

Reply #206554 | Report this post

asif  
Years ago

both his MVPs were undeserved.

definitely more deserving players ala Tim Duncan, Shaq, or Kobe.

Reply #206561 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Ha, sure they weren't 'asif'

Reply #206568 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

People need to get past the fact that an MVP may not necessarily lead his team or the league in scoring. In many instances the most valuable player on a team is the toughest defender or the most vocal leader. What Steve Nash gives the Suns is a smart point guard who knows how to create plays and dictate to the defence. Just because he isn't out there scoring 30 a night doesn't mean that he aint valuable...

No one can dispute that Nash deserves his two MVP's. He was a relatively unknown guard in his College days and only through sheer willpower and determination did he become the player that he is today. He didn't posess any of the athletic abilities that players like LeBron and Wade have, and yet he still has become one of the most potent offensive machines in the NBA today, even in his old age! Thats what i call a true underdog story, so STOP HATIN' ON NASH!

Reply #206579 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Nash deserved to win the MVP. Look beyond the fact that he led the league in assists.
He shot some crazy percentages:

His FT % was 90+
His FG % Was 45+
His 3PFG % was 40+

Reply #206591 | Report this post

asif  
Years ago

actually im worng, Nash did deserve the MVP in 04-05.

In the 05-06 season TD lead the Spurs to 63-19 which at the time was the 3rd best ever record, which farts all over Nash's Suns.

Tim Duncan had 18/11 whilst averaging 50% FG. Kobe Bryant averaged 35 ppg (the highest since MJ and AI), and individually he was more deserving than NAsh. Not to mention that he also made the All-First defensive team and was top 3 in the DPOY voting.

realistically the top 3 in MVP should've been:
1. Tim Duncan
2. Dirk Nowitzki
3. Kobe Bryant/Steve Nash.

Reply #206614 | Report this post

spurs_suck  
Years ago

just just get a clue asif

Reply #206632 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"In many instances the most valuable player on a team is the toughest defender or the most vocal leader. What Steve Nash gives the Suns is a smart point guard who knows how to create plays and dictate to the defence." --

Lol you clown, Nash is possibly the worst defender at the Suns. He's terrible!

His two MVPs were won because assists were the 'hot statistic' in those two years and the voters jumped on the old bandwagon. There were many players more deserving including KB81. But I'm not whinging, he's got his now.

Reply #206638 | Report this post

Frog  
Years ago

XztatiK,

Did you even read the post.

"What Steve Nash gives the Suns is a smart point guard who knows how to create plays and dictate to the defence."

Nothing said about his defence.

Reply #206641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Larry Bird was once quoted following a huge scoring game -"It's not the scorer that counts but it's the the guy who gets the ball to the scorer" or along those lines

Reply #206643 | Report this post

Caochscout  
Years ago

PS.

Magic probably led the league in assists during a MVP season.

Reply #206645 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

With each MVP award given people needs to think about the class of people you're placing that person into...You're talking about past MVPs such as MJ, Mailman etc. Does Steve really fits into that class of greatness? Especially looking at his 2 consecutive MVP, only one other man has achieved such feat as a guard, that man's MJ. So that really is a big statement to be making when you're talking about other greats like Kidd also. Personally I'd take Kidd, almost a walking triple double before the trade (also note don't think Nash's played in the Finals before).

Oscar Robertson probably led in assist also

Reply #206664 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Frog, yes mate I did read the post. He said:

"In many instances the most valuable player on a team is the toughest defender"

And I didn't say he couldn't create plays offensively but explain to me how someone can legitimately "dictate to the defence" without being able to keep a man in front of HIMSELF defensively.

Nash has very little defensive awarness at all.

Reply #206697 | Report this post

Id say he has very good defensive awareness, he just doesnt have the athletic ability to keep in front of guys like Paul, Parker, etc.

And whats with the taking kidd over nash thing. I thought this was settled when kidd made dallas worse. I mean what do you want, a bit better defense, or a whole lot better shooting, and a nicer personality.

Reply #206699 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

notice I said (before the trade) for the last decade he's "the" point guard

Reply #206705 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Nate tiny archibald led the NBA in scoring and assists

oh yeah...in the same season

Reply #206717 | Report this post

phoenix  
Years ago

So we can all agree that Nash is better than Kidd

Reply #206775 | Report this post

Cusco  
Years ago

He got it cos he was white. By the way didnt shaq imply something like that at the time of one of nash's mvps? No i'm kidding (sort of) but i do believe Nash was the most valuable player to his team and his team had a winning percentage. As for Duncan rebounds are about 2/3rds as valuable as assists in MVP voting i'd say. You'd need 15 rebounds a game to equal the quality of 10 assists a game in my book.

Reply #206781 | Report this post

Cusco  
Years ago

He got it cos he was white. By the way didnt shaq imply something like that at the time of one of nash's mvps? No i'm kidding (sort of) but i do believe Nash was the most valuable player to his team and his team had a winning percentage. As for Duncan rebounds are about 2/3rds as valuable as assists in MVP voting i'd say. You'd need 15 rebounds a game to equal the quality of 10 assists a game in my book.

Reply #206783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754