Isaac
Years ago

Derwin: Gold Coast safe bet for NewBL

Basketball is set to finally have a long-term presence on the Gold Coast with the Blaze a 'safe bet' to be included in next year's revamped national league.
"(Blaze owner) Owen (Tomlinson) indicated to me ... that he will certainly be putting in an application for the new league and he wants to be a part of it," he said.

"I will be very surprised if he doesn't put in a strong application ... and if I was a betting man I would think they will be there next year."
He might want to work a competitive team into his future budget though...

Full article from GoldCoast.com.au - Blaze to take hold for long term

Topic #17587 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac, is it really appropriate or professional in your opinion that Derwin make speculative comments to the media like this?
As it is, according to some sources, they are looking to 8 teams initially and the Bullets are putting in a strong effort to get something up and running amongst all the other Qld teams.
Amongst that, there are already Melb teams that both believe they have more of a right to be in the comp next season than eachother.
It just seems that for the next few months, instead of them concentrating on the current season, that everyone is going to end up in a new competition to see who can meet the criteria to get into the new league.
It is going to cause a certain amount of distraction, unrest and not so great publicity for some.

Reply #206656 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, I wonder why eight ? If there are 12 good tenders @ $1.5m each year. Wouldn't that be better ?

Reply #206660 | Report this post

as always camel you make good sense - the problem is getting 12 good tenders - or maybe the process associated with the sorting of tenders to determine those best suited to own basketball - look in own back yard there are plenty of issues with local clubs needing revamp / over haul management and on its goes -

Reply #206662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA, funny you should mention that as I was actually going to lead into the discussion at the bottom of the topic post with a comment about his speculation. Maybe it reassures existing fans, but does it frighten those of other teams (e.g., Wollongong)? Does it lead to disappointment if Gold Coast don't make a strong application?

I wonder if BA/NBL would be best served by avoiding comments on specific teams, at the very least. And, on top of that, steering conversation to the current season where possible? Franchises still need crowds and sponsors now to help set them up for the NewBL.

That said, does BA have an interest in this current season at all, or would they really only have a focus/interest in what's to come next?

Reply #206669 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac I agree with you 100%.
I think with the amount of issues that the DSEG Review highlighted, that Derwin would realise they have bigger fish to fry to get acceptable solutions underway, rather than being childish enough to speculate on what sort of applications clubs will put together between now and December.
As it is they won't know if they are successful until February next year, so that's a long time away to be sitting on your hands and engaging in one-upmanship and trying to allign yourself with Derwin which is what I think some clubs' 'people' will try to do. (to prevent any negative publicity about them NOT being printed in the papers with Derwin saying they have a chance)
I see this starting a game of tit for tat to put their fans and sponsors worries at ease and get their club mentioned by Derwin as a strong contender for next year, and I don't think it's the right way to go about it.
I wouldn't be surprised if BA are uninterested in this season as you say- might explain why those poor buggers in Sydney are having fans and players join forces to do their own marketing for their team- just attrocious and negligent in my opinion and I don't even really like Sydney all that much but still feel bad for them!

Reply #206676 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I forgot to add that Derwin's comments about being surprised if the Blaze are not in the comp next year, remind me of Chuck's repeated foot in mouth disease where he often reported to the media in the weeks leading up to 30 June for the Bullets, that he was (and I quote) "Quietly confident that the Bullets will not face extinction and will part of the comp this season."
Well Chuck, we all know how that turned out, as well as how utterly gutted their fans were wwhen lulled into a false sense of security.
You'd think that Derwin had learnt from Chuck's mistakes but the nonsense just continues.....

Reply #206677 | Report this post

Cusco  
Years ago

2 words - Brisbane Blaze

Reply #206726 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

one word: wishful!

Reply #206750 | Report this post

HEHE  
Years ago

HAHA, completely agree with you about Derwins foot in mouth problem.

Might be a pre-req to work in basketball?

Reply #206936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754