Isaac
Years ago

Tigers vs Wildcats, Oct 8

The Melbourne Tigers host the Perth Wildcats tonight to tip off Round 4 of the NBL 2008/09 season.

Perth coach Conner Henry thinks there's no question that his team will have a tough opponent ahead of them.

"There won't be any motivation problems for this game because they are the No.1 team and reigning champions. Arguably, they have an NBA-like line-up by adding Ebi Ere and Sam MacKinnon to the fold and they are definitely an intimidating side," Henry said.
Pre-game comments from Henry on NBL.com.au

Does anyone think that the Cats can realistically win this game, on the road? In Perth, perhaps, but I think it will be the Tigers by 15+ tonight.

Topic #17598 | Report this topic

Kingjames  
Years ago

It would be great to watch if the game was on foxtel! I think Perth are a much better team then the won that lost to Townsville the other night however with that sort of form they wont win.

They will contest it for a bit and will probably lose it by 10+

Reply #206777 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not over, yet.. but, Boti might have some fun again.

Reply #206787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"they have an NBA-like line-up"

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Most rediculous thing I've heard all year! This henry guy clearly has no idea about the quality of the NBA! Boti's gonna love that comment!

Reply #206790 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, will be an interesting read.

Reply #206792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another thing Boti gonna be all over. The so called greatest team of all time have lost their second game, already!!!!!!! Sweet! Wildcats win 105-101 !!!

(according to live stats anyway)

Reply #206794 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Wildcats almost managed to throw away a excellent executed game in the 4th. But saved by a block by Victor on Grizzard in the last minute and sealed by redhage on the free throw line.

Great win for the Wildcats even though that last quarter has to be a bit of a worry. Looks like the Tigers are having a bit more trouble finding that grove, maybe we will see better odds for the championship soon ;-)

Down side to all this is that they will come out firing on Sat against the Sixers. Get a copy of the Wildcats game tape and study that hard boys!

Reply #206795 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

Cats beat the tigers. half the cats players were either limping due to injuries. cats just proved why they were touted as the 2nd or at the very worst 3rd team in the pre-season. to beat the tigers on there court is no easy feat. bravo to the cats.

Reply #206796 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

If the basketball was played at 3 quarters, this cats team would be champions. they had the dragons on the canvas . they were leading by 17 in that game and still managed to lose. they had the crocs on the ropes and they fell away in the 4th. once they get the choking sorted out and rogers and robbins return, they'll be mighty tough to stop

Reply #206798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a result I didn't expect. I know the Cats will be a good side this year, but expected them to mostly get it done over in Perth. Impressive win.

Perhaps this Tigers side is a little reminiscent of the star-studded Bullets team that couldn't go the whole way?

Doubt 5/28 3P helped.

Reply #206799 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

The tigers only have one loss mate. its not like there down in the dumps. there still the team to beat. the season is only young.

Reply #206800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lost two now. breakers beat them in NZ

Reply #206802 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

very good result. Cats are an underrated team i think. They are very, very deep, and with the exception of Redhage, don't really have any star players. I think that bodes well for them as you know that they are gonna come out hard every night and work their buts off. Would have been a good game to watch, but oh well, and I can't really complain about Foxtel's decision to show the Reds game!

Reply #206812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowd: 2074.
Sure, it was a Wednesday night game, but 2,074! In Melbourne, and against decent opposition.

Reply #206817 | Report this post

Herka  
Years ago

yeeeewww !! very excited about this result but means nothing if perth doesnt back up againest the "gong" and the spirit on the weekend

Reply #206819 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I know it sounds crazy and its still only early days but imo Melbourne should cut one of their SG/SF imports and add a playmaking PG immediatley. They wont find a player better than Grizzard or Ebi but they certainly could find a player more suited to that team. -Not sure that Barlow is all that comfortable playing the point, they had to give Crosswell 31mins tonight.

Reply #206821 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, wouldve been 2075, but i had a GF @ MSAC...lol

Go the Cats

Reply #206823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, definitely agree. IMO, Grizzard is surplus. Mackinnon and Hoare more than cover PF and has overlap that can cover when Anstey's out. On top of that, they have Sturt to back-up Anstey for 5-10 MPG if desperate.

At SG and SF, you have Barlow and Ere, plus Corletto and Greer. A PG import would fit well and mean that they only needed Crosswell for 20 MPG tops. Wayne Turner (just signed in the US though), EJ Rowland, Ed Scott and so on are all examples of adequate import PGs that don't need to score to contribute. Even Darren Brook (ex-Cat import - was that his name?) wouldn't hurt them.

Anyone else notice that, going by the box score, Perth appear to have started Dowdell and Victor tonight, while bringing Redhage and Knight off the bench? Is that correct?

Reply #206828 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah I was a fan of Darren Brooks and even Rashad Phillips would be okay if he's improved his fitness a bit.

I noticed Dowdell and Victor starting also. Thought it was a bit wierd when Dowdell ended up only playing about 10mins lol.

Reply #206830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754