Interested
Years ago

Sixers Playing Style this season

I have only seen the Sixers in a pre-season trial game this year, so am asking the question of those that have seen their home games thus far. What are the main differences (if any) between their style this year under Scott compared to previous years?
Is there more structure offensively than the free lance offense used in previous years? If so, do they run more onball screens to get their ballhandlers open? offball screens for shooters? post action for Ballinger/Schenscher? etc
Do the Sixers still play a Match-up zone from previous years or has man defence become the staple of this team?

Topic #17624 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

It's more quicker and a bit up tempo especially with Aaron Bruce @ PG.

Maher slows down too much when playing the PG.

Tyndale can pull off a good move, but dribble and ball handle looks unco or a concern @ times.

Balls looks to shoot more than post up to save his back.

Luke is a bit limited with moves and needs to fire up more.

Reply #206995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look to run a LOT more and play up-tempo.

In the halfcourt they run a lot more turnouts, followed by flare screens for Bruce or Maher. Flare screen usually followed by on-ball or low to high cross screen.

Pretty entertaining to watch - a bit more structure, but still loose enough to let the guys play to their strengths.

Reply #206999 | Report this post

Hoop Fiend  
Years ago

Interested,

are you scouting for anyone in particular?

Reply #207003 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

It's definitely a little more structured than last season. As someone's pointed out, having Bruce really gives options for playmaking, rather than just relying on Maher or Ballinger to become open to shoot.

Not that Maher and Ballinger shooting is a bad thing; but it's always good to be able to change up your tactic, catch the defence napping...Schenscher has a height advantage on most players so I'm hoping they can run more post plays for him as the season progresses.

Defensively, Tyndale has been a standout as he's only 6'4 at best yet he is in there grabbing defensive rebounds. Bruce defends the ballhandler very closely, and I've noticed he's often watching the passing lanes or for a player trying to spin around a defender and be there to tap the ball away.

Reply #207006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they're not scouting, just looking to generate some discussion.

Reply #207008 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Interested, aren't you "interested" in actually seeing it for yourself instead of getting other people's comments? I know I would.

Reply #207025 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Hoop Fiend, thanks for making me feel worthy and that I have a reasonable understanding of the game (possibly good enough to scout for an NBL team!). However, I am not scouting for anyone and have no affiliation with an NBL team.

EC, I would love to go and see it for myself! Unfortunately after work, family commitments, coaching junior basketball and a social life (whats that?) I dont usually have much time left to attend Sixers games, but I am hoping over the summer break to attend a few games with the kids. I am just looking for some discussion and feedback on the team to try to keep as up to date as possible on their progress.

Reply #207055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754