jimmy de bas
Years ago

2005 Open State Knockout

I know it is very early, but who do people think are the early favourites to take out this year's crown? Who are some of the darkhorses no-one will be expecting to do well or even win it?
For me, I think the top 5 chances are:
St. Micks- Molitor, heard alot about him, if he lives up to his hype, they should go pretty far. St Micks are known for under-performing.
Faith- Jordan Kies. Who will stop him? Sure to make the semi's.
Unley- A pretty decent Year 10 team last year who should be able to make the transition to Open Basketball.
Cabra- If they have a full team, and decure gets over himself and starts playing school ball, they should do pretty well.
Millicent- Shannon Seebohm has to carry this team, but if he can then they should do alright.

I don't know about the girls comp, Cabra?? SAC??

Topic #1764 | Report this topic

john  
Years ago

yeah, id have to agree with you on those predictions, however, i also think sacred heart are a good chance to win it too. they wont be the tallest team out there, however will be a very fast team and thier transition will be the key to thier game...and success. in saying that, i think they'll do well with a number of young and energetic players coming up the ranks. a good mix of year 12's and year 11's in the team along with one stand out year 10 player.they look quite good.

Reply #20009 | Report this post

abbagail  
Years ago

sacred heart for boys? i think they have a better chance with thier girls team with jess moser in the team again. yes, all those who thought they had seen the last of jess last year are wrong. she is back for another year with the hearts which will give them a very good chance of challenging for the crown

Reply #20012 | Report this post

jinx  
Years ago

You are obviously an insider to apparently know how good both the girls and boys teams are down at Sacred Heart. Are you a friend of a player or what?

Reply #20013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about BASA's Basketball Festival, thats the better tournament. Does anyone know when that will be?

Reply #20044 | Report this post

shifty  
Years ago

nah, the festival isn't better. not all the good teams enter in that competition.dont know when it is either

Reply #20060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i predict sacred heart get knocked out 2nd round - they suck no offence

Reply #20070 | Report this post

pistol pete  
Years ago

Nikita has transferred from SAC to St Michaels

juniors SAC will dominate, several new district kids enrolled - open - not as strong now

very good coaching PE staff at SAC for basketball

Reply #20074 | Report this post

pistol pete  
Years ago

overall the festival has better standard - justin won't entertain scrubbers - at basketball, anyway !

Reply #20075 | Report this post

above the rim  
Years ago

Trinity college have a few boys with some game - Clausen, Collins, Camron. Is shannon hoffman still playing for faith?

Reply #20119 | Report this post

close - no cigar  
Years ago

he is playing with spirit - i hope he is playing with faith as well

Reply #20121 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

ive heard sacred heart will go ok in KO. whoever this anonymous is id like to know how they lack in thier offense...or what lacks in thier offense? i heard they had a reasonable year last year and were a high scoring team. apparently they beat unley during the season with both teams final scores in the high 70's. with that in mind, id say thier offence is pretty good. i didnt see the game, but 70 odd points in any school game is a fair effort.

"they suck - no offense" is what you said. back it up with some facts buddy.

Reply #20131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is so good about them? i heard unley smashed them anyhow...

they have 1 decent player who might score 10 odd points thats all, others will chip in with about 5 maybe!

Reply #20135 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Anonymous, you heard wrong. sacred heart won thier battle late in the season (thier only encounter for the season mind you). if u are so certain about sacred heart being a 'no show' for KO, u must know the team reasonably well. as an outsider, who is thier only 'decent player who might score 10 odd points?'

Reply #20137 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

what are peoples thoughts on cabra for 2005? - the so called 'basketball school'. personally, i think this year will be a tough one for them with a lack of depth - relying too heavily on a couple of players.

Reply #20138 | Report this post

MoG  
Years ago

when was the last time shc won a state title?? who was playing??

Reply #20139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you talking about sh beating unley in saturday morning ball?

Reply #20141 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

thats what i heard. i heard both teams scored i nthe high 70's. was played at unley. shc came away with a close victory.

Reply #20143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you heard wrong... what year level you talking about

Reply #20144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by the way we are talking open knockout here

Reply #20145 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

open. not yr 10. open. i dont know how the years 10's went although i would think unley would have gotten over the line there quite easily. im talking about open a's. tell me who the shc player is who is thier only decent player? and im pretty sure ur the one that heard wrong buddy

Reply #20148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mmm is this saturday morning ball? yeh ur right shc did win opens thats not the open ko team though :P

Reply #20150 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

thier saturday morning team during the summer was thier KO team...sacred heart KO team. who was thier stand out player again?

Reply #20151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

d/w

Reply #20155 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Anonymous... u said 'i predict sacred heart get knocked out 2nd round - they suck no offence'.

i then told u that i heard that had a win against unley where both teams scored in the high 70's. i then went on to say that considering that FACT, thier offense must be pretty good. and i think most people would agree that scoring 70 points in a school game doesnt happen week in week out against quality opposition like unley.

you then said "what is so good about them? i heard unley smashed them anyhow...

they have 1 decent player who might score 10 odd points thats all, others will chip in with about 5 maybe!"

so after that, firstly, sacred heart DID beat them, and secondly, u still havent told me, or anyone else for that matter, who their 'one decent player who might score 10 odd points' is.

so, a bit of advice, i wouldnt say something that u are unsure of. obviously u dont know the team, and ill be the first to say that i dont know the team, but i wasnt the one that said they have one decent player who might score 10 odd points. who is the player then?? who is in thier team even?

dont say stuff that isnt true and dont talk about things u dont have any idea about. (i dont mean that in a bad way). im sure u have a good knowledge of basketball but at least give some evidence to ur points/arguments made.

Reply #20158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thought you were talking about the year 9s for some reason not opens

Reply #20165 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

the name of this thread will give u the answer as to what age group mate ;)

Reply #20167 | Report this post

eleanor  
Years ago

sacred heart last won the KO title in 99 with a team stacked with talent. best school team ever, without a doubt.

matt clarke, dylan hicks, luke frost, andrew schar, justin schueller, steve jones, chris archer, travis moulesdale, dave elliot, john harris. every player except for harris played div 1, and he could have easily played div 1, but never gave district ball a shot, but he started on this team im pretty sure. damian scanlon was also in this age group but was playing footy in year 12.

not a bad looking line-up.

Reply #20178 | Report this post

Street & Smith's  
Years ago

Yes elanor thats a great KO team and they knocked me out if I remember correctly but you're getting carried away most of those guys were South players in a fairly average South team don't forget.
I've played with and against all those guys and I'll say again that's agreat team but best ever without a doubt is a bit naive.

IMO the best KO team ever didn't actually win. I know that sounds stupid.

Reply #20198 | Report this post

Rosefield71  
Years ago

A few years later the Marion High School team of which Phil was a member was also doing devistating things on the court and it was hardly surprising because seven of the school team were also members of the South Australian Under-16 State team. Such was the ease of winning that the players used to take turns at scoring in a particular game and when Phil Smyth's turn came around he helped himself to 137 points.
That was in 1975....

The General
Phil Smyth
As told by Gary Scholes

Reply #20200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That 99 Sacred Heart team lost 1 game that year by a point, and had an average winning margin of 39 points. They probably would have taken out the national title if matt Clarke hadn't done his knee in the lead up to the championship

Reply #20211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is St Mick going to start completing in All the knock outs etc. 10's: BASA Carnival etc. Thought is was the school policy not too.

Reply #20249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of the colleges such as st. micks play in KO every year. instead of playing their games during the week they play in the saturday morning comp. i think the group last year was st micks, cbc and maybe st peters.

Reply #20334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Street and Smith's, I think that "fairly average" south team lost the winter season final in under 20's by only a couple of points...

Reply #20343 | Report this post

Street & Smith's  
Years ago

Anon,

Clarke and Hicks I rate
Both were good players
AT THE TIME U18's

By 20's Matt Illman grew and developed his game I would think he would have been a bigger part in that glorious seccond placing than most of those SHC guys.

You missed the point

To say best team ever without a doubt is very narrow minded.
Espescially when Hicks(18's) was the only one of them to play State.

I stand by my statement in u18/year 12 that south group was average.

Reply #20377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know when oscar was a year 10 at UHS he was in a pretty good open team. they won the state champs and have a lot of abl players. i cant really remember who was in the team though. can anyone remember?

Reply #20919 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Dont forget the other public schools, remember in yr 8 boys in 2001 and year 10 in 2002 who played the finals? Wirreanda will always be a strong show. They, along with Cabra were the dominating open teams through 2000-2002

Reply #20930 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

st Mics only have the one guy molitor, but does anyone think he can go with clausen from trinity inside and have good enough team mates to stop their perimiter game that includes collins and cameron?

Reply #22380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754