cLaRkY
Years ago

Monta Ellis gets disciplined

The Golden State Warriors have finally come to terms with the Monta Ellis situation, and come up with some punishment for him...

Warriors president Robert Rowell suspended Ellis for 30 games without pay Saturday for violating his lucrative new contract, a decision that apparently went against the wishes of top basketball executive Chris Mullin and coach Don Nelson.

This suspension takes the 4 pre-season games into account, which means that Ellis can't return until December 17th (the game against Indiana).

Ellis, who recently underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament, was unlikely to be healthy enough to return before mid-December anyway, but the suspension means the guard won't be paid during his absence.

This suspension is likely to cost Ellis as much as $3million of pay.

What are peoples thoughts on this decision by the Warriors?
Was it the right decision to make, given the circumstances around the injury as well as the focus on Ellis to lead the Warriors?

Read the full article here

Topic #17641 | Report this topic

I think its fair. plus it sets an example

Reply #207189 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Very lucky boy... Only fessed up cause the medical staff realised the story and the injuries didn't add up - tantamount to attempted fraud if you really want to look at it hard. So if they hadn't busted him would he have fessed up??? Especially if he's materially affected as a player going forward???

I wonder what happens if he ends up an injury-prone bench ornament or scurrying around the court all crablike, like good ol' Phil Handy???

Surely they still have the voiding route available should he not come back to a reasonably high level...

He might still be ####ing bricks for a while yet.

Reply #207191 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I thinks it's fair and just.

I'm wondering much like you Johnny, as Monta broke stipulations in his contract, should he not return to a suitable level after his recovery, could he then have his contract terminated? Or should it have been done straight away?

Reply #207195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what'd he do?

Reply #207196 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

You can add extra incentives to contracts for performance but surely you cannot take them away. This is his punishment surely they can't then punish him further down the road for poor play or reoccurring injuries. I think this will be the final resolution.

Reply #207201 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I agree with you Dizzle - but that sets up Monta/the Warriors/Fans for a potential disaster. The Warriors signed the contract under the impression on an as is basis - now numbnuts hops on a moped (i mean FFS - A MOPED!!!) and puts all of the expected skills being paid for under the contract at risk...

I asked the question out loud cause i think by making this compromise they may have deprived themselves of taking the void later on. I really hope this is worst case stuff - and doesn't come to pass (for everyone's sake). Ideal case he comes back 100% - but if he doesn't - (and let's be honest, only time will tell) it could be very ugly...

Reply #207203 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Im not too sure this could (legally) be the whole punishment. I'm pretty sure the 'double jeopardy' rule doesn't work here. My money is that the GSW will say that the suspension is for breaking the contract, whilst (if it happens) the voiding of the contract will be as a result of the injury. I think the suspension will be the final punishment.

Quite a smart move by the Warriors as it looks like Monta was out until January anyway so this means that Cohen doesn't have to pay him to rehab and will only start paying him when he can play.

What I found strange was Monta's agent taking to so easily. I mean, what agents wants to see his client lose 4 million dollars when a legally binding contract is already in place saying that his player will be payed this amount. There has to be deal somewhere to earn that 4 million back or something.

The chances the contract being voided is highly unlikely. If the W's tried to void Monta before rehab, his agent would almost certainly file a grievance as they can't prove that the injury as caused Monta some issues. This one is going to play out for a while....

Reply #207205 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad... it was 3 million, not 4 million...

Reply #207206 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I'm sure he's not gonna become broke from the $3 million being taken from him. That's almost bum change for him, and he'll probably make that up somewhere in endorsements. The 30 game suspension is a good suspension because i'm sure it says in his contract that he's not allowed to go biking (or something along those lines). Its all pointless anyway cause he won't be healed by the time he's allowed back. Bottom line: its really on;y himself robbing him of playing time.

Reply #207217 | Report this post

I hate when people say that.

"I'm sure he's not gonna become broke from the $3 million being taken from him"

so you get a speeding fine. $300 or whatever. it still hurts, big time. when you only have a 12-15 year gap to earn money, and the amount of money those guys spend, you'd be stupid to think he just blows off 3 million.

Reply #207229 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Apparently (according to some guys on RealGM)this kid has spent everything he has earned in his career (and then some - like most players in his situation...) - so in the short-term the lack of cashflow should hurt him a bit...

Reply #207230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754