leter
Years ago

36ers future - too much change

how can the 36ers put a title winning team on the court when they bring in 5 or 6 new players every season which results in the first 15 games of the season being written off cause the team isn't gelling,there has been countless times last year to now when the 5 players on court for adelaide did not play with adelaide in the previous season,it's going to happen next year to,schensh and bruce will chase NBA and european deals and tyndale will be chasing the NBA and maher will more than likely retire which means another 4 or more faces next year,where's the stability,sign a core group of players that can stick around for 3 or more years,maybe sign an older import who wants to give a club more than 1 year and has no NBA aspirations?
c

Topic #17646 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahhaha the nature of the nbl is no one knows whats going to happen

Reply #207292 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

seriously?
What a lot of drivle.

Who said that Bruce and Luke will be chasing big dollar deals? Isnt that what every employed person does, go to the place that pays the most for their skill set?

Your logic is bemusing.

You would rather sign a group of b grade players that will be here for 5 years because they aren't good enough to play anywhere else over the top of signing up the best available who have a legit shot of winning a title.

Reply #207293 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I think the player turnover in all teams is what is wrong with the nbl. There is little loyalty to teams from players, so the fans loose interest.

I agree that players should be able to get what they are worth, but for the betterment of the NBL, I think, there needs to be some restrictions on player movement.

Reply #207296 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

perhaps lose is spelt with one o

Reply #207297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tyndale might want to show a bit more in the NBL before he dreams of the NBA. Luke's still looking to get himself a starting spot let alone more. And as for Bruce, he could be encouraged to stay by way of the funds released by Maher's retirement.

While they may have started the season unsteadily, I'd say that the roster is quite suited to be built on from here.

Reply #207299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the clubs need to show some loyalty to the players to keep them around longer also - it's not all one-sided.

The 36ers need to find an import willing to stick around - real shame that Chappell didn't work out as he had the right attitude about wanting to make Adelaide his home.

As for Luke and Bruce - I don't think they'll be getting to the NBA anytime soon.

Reply #207305 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Isn't most of the 2008-09 roster signed up for 1009-10?

I know Maher will be retiring and Tyndale may not return, but other than that, the team will be the same.

Reply #207307 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Skin I agree.
You can't build cohesion and support in a sport, let alone a local following if players leave every second year.
It is just yet another turn off to a League that gives little more than turn offs.

Reply #207312 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

He writes like a 4th grader but he has a (slight) point in that teams that have been together for a few years perform better - that's obvious, just look at the Breakers from last year to now.

The thing you need to realise, leter, is that you have to build a quality team in the first place. Last off-season was one of the best in the club's history, they signed young stars who will hopefully stay around for a long time.

Oh, and if there is an import who DOESN'T have NBA aspirations... chances are he's not good enough.

Reply #207322 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

when we signed kevin brooks, darnell mee and made phil s coach, the team didnt struggle. i think its too early to write the 6ers off yet, but some of the boys need to start stepping up. if were still struggling after the midway point of the season with a fully healthy team, then we should start asking questions.

Reply #207325 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

I have always said that Liam Rush is a perfect player to get as he probably wont be good enough to play over seas, however here he is an exciting star in the making.

Reply #207335 | Report this post

Boxing Out  
Years ago

Bruce overrated. Davidson needs to retire with Maher. Hill and Kersten averages. New guards next year !

Reply #207336 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I'm suprised that everyone is laying down the criticism on the players and nothing across the coach.

While 50% of the issue is players not communicating to teammates, or playing half-arsed, or basically lacking fundamentals in parts of their game; the other half is the coach not matching up his players, not rotating players to match the on-court situation appropriately, and not giving his team enough of a bollocking when they lose.

The Sixers have a title contender team and a have a deep bench. Last time I saw a decent Sixers team like this was back in 05-06 when Dusty and Big Willy were still playing, and you had players like Forman and Holmes off the bench. The whole excuse of a team not "Gel-ing" (jellying, jel-ing... whatever) dies in the arse as of the Hawks away game. Considering all teams do is Train and play, you have no excuse for not working together, especially with the talent we have this year.

Reply #207359 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

I think we will see major changes to every team list for the 2009/10 season. With the reinvention of the NBL, some clubs will not be around and with larger salary caps and marquee player falling outside of the cap those teams in the league will look for a different range of players.

Reply #207372 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Big Marty, can't blame the new coach all and sundry were touting as the 'saviour'.

Reply #207389 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Dana Dana thought you were out looking for another easy job for your mate Phil. Least if he gets on radio he will have 1 person listening.
We never said he was going to be a super coach in first season especially as he had to assemble a new team to replace the relics and no hopers etc from year before. And we wanted someone to actually recruit , coach and at least make a effort and on game day do something with some purpose and passion.
We gave Phil 5 or so years at the least you can do is to give Scotty five Bl--dy games

Reply #207428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find Bruce is signed for 2 years.
Dana, if a female can be labelled a tool, then you certainly qualify.

Reply #207437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A tooless i think is the term..

Reply #207452 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tyndale arrived , calling everyone 'Sir' and not understanding a lot of they way aussies talk.

( Davo and Bruce played with their problems- Boti )

Reply #207468 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Err.... Did you read something different?
Quote.."Can't blame the new coach!!!"
I'm not blaming him. Just pointing out that things don't necessarily work out the way people would like in spite of a new coach and new players.
As I have always said...I will support the team win, lose or draw (no matter who is coaching.)
So no need to over react.;)

Reply #207472 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Realistically the only game we have lost that we should not have is Spirit away.

And even then you could argue that they are stronger than what they have been given credit for.

I dont see what the big worry is when we are so early into the season.

Reply #207474 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kent, the sour taste of the last 2 years stays in your mouth for a long time. That's what the worry is about. There's also the worry that the last 3 road games, the 36ers showed nothing positive of what's to come as the season progresses. I wouldn't even make excuses for losing to better teams on the road because the preseason indicated that the 36ers were championship contenders, let alone making excuses that Sydney were stronger than expected. By your reasoning, which teams do you think the 36ers can beat? I can bet there's not many by what they have shown us to date. That must mean a 3rd year in a row where they don't even make the playoffs. Very little gained for the release of the previous coach. I think Ninnis is out of his league here. As an assistant, yes but not a head coach. You and others may be happy to give him time to prove himself, but myself and I am sure others as well are looking at Ninnis as the instant answer to the previous 2 year's problems.

Reply #207492 | Report this post

Years ago

Previous 2 years problems????
EC, you really are a joke and thats why people ridicule your ridiculous comments.
Try the last 5 years, anyone that even has an inkling of basketball realises that change was long overdue.
Whether Ninnis is the answer or not will be proved over time, not 5 games.
There has been significant effort put into recruitment and trying to get the club put back on track after years of blaming others and becoming a retirement village for players who saw a program that you could cruise through without raising a sweat.
Have you been and watched the team train and seen the effort or lack thereof put in?
If no, its hard to believe you can make sweeping comments on games you obviously havent seen or seen the day to day goings on.
Not sure exactly that the preseason indicated that the 36ers were championship contenders either.
Hey, Im as shitty as anyone with the results and there is definate cause for concern but good lord, assess it in time and take your blinkers off PLEASE!

Reply #207498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754