Isaac
Years ago

36ers on the boards

Spotted yesterday that the 36ers have four players averaging eight or more rebounds per game:

Holmes 10.4 RPG
Schenscher 8.4 RPG
Tyndale 8.2 RPG
Ballinger 8.0 RPG

Adelaide's 45.8 RPG is a clear second on the list of team totals.

Now just need to improve the shooting numbers where we're #1 in FT accuracy, but towards the bottom on FG% and 3P%.

Topic #17656 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If discounted the game that Tyndale only played a few minutes in before being injured he is basically returning 18 and 10 a game.

Reply #207414 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Id be more concerned about the amount of offensive rebounds they are giving up than shooting percentages. Good shots come from run and gunning the ball out of Defense.

I think Tyndale's numbers may be a poor indicator of what he is really producing.

Reply #207415 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

One caveat on rebounding numbers Issac... they are as much an indicator of our poor shooting % (creating increased off rebounding opportunities) and our poor turnover ratio, with the opposition averaging nearly 10 shots more than us per game. (obviously creating more def rebound opportunities.)

It was a similar story last season I think, with us being in the top 2 in rebounding, but with a poor, poor shooting % and bad turnover ratio compared to our opposition.

Reply #207421 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Good points Jordan.

In terms of how the team is going, the rebound indicators that the coaches use are defensive rebound percentage and offensive rebound percentage.

I.e. when an opponent takes a shot, what is the statistical likelyhood that we will get that board?
ditto when we miss a shot, what percentage of those misses do we collect?

knowing that though, certain offensive sets are designed to free up offensive rebounders and the nature of a teams sets can release more or less rebounders on the glass. ditto defensive systems.

Reply #207439 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, I have been talking about their 3PM rate for ages. The lowest in the league. Boards aren't their problem, the fact they can't shoot 3s is. We need to either practice, practice, practice, or get your brother back home to lift our rate! (53% accuracy!!)

Reply #207477 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Or perhaps stop taking so many and venture inside the three point line for a change.

There is a rarely used tactic called a drive which 36ers teams abandoned years ago.

Reply #207520 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Interesting that the Crocs, who are second on the ladder are 3rd to bottom on the total boards ave, and last in 3 point %.

The reason of course is that they have a good backcourt who lead the league in fewest turnovers.

Every stat affects ever other stat, the more possessions who have, the more shots you get, the better your shooting % etc etc. Every coach has his style, his defensive rules and set ups and offensive set plays. There are many ways to win a game, its more about how well you execute.

Reply #207524 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Note for Bulldog,
under Phils last two seasons, 36ers were 2nd in the league out of 12 teams in 3PA, whilst this season, we are 8th out of 10 in 3PA.

Personally i prefer to see a player attack the hole with a drive more than a 3 point attempt, especially in transition. So i am liking it.

Reply #207528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754