Anonymous
Years ago

who stays and who goes ?

WHO STAYS AND WHO GOES NEXT YR ??

WILL Mark Nash get an extension and who else will get extension ?

Let us know ur thoughts :)

hopfully this be a nice thread :)

Topic #1766 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

If Mark Nash and J-Will are there next year, the Sixers have rocks in their heads.

Keep Cooper, Rees, Maher, Jacob and Oscar. Brad Hill sounds like a good pick-up.

Imports? Who knows. They might leave. I'd keep Dusty. Consistency is hard to find

Reply #20045 | Report this post

MoG  
Years ago

replace JW and Nash with Krause and Thompson from Norwood...how Thompson isnt in the team ahead of Ng, Gerlach and Hill is amazing to me...he is a solid 3man but could go down and play at the 2 if he had too...he is strong, agile and fast and not to mention 6'7 and ~100kg...sixers have got no idea if they dont get him in there soon..KK shld also get a run i dont think he wld have quite the impact DT would but i think stil they both deserve a go ahead of those young boys and Gower especially

Reply #20049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty before Farley for sure, he is just too damn good.

I agree doc, Willaims & Nash need to go.

Reply #20050 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Williams - can't see him keeping his spot, or ever playing NBL ever again. Hill to take his place.

Nash would have to be on very shaky ground. I'd still consider him, but only after all other options have been explored.

Rees - similar to Nash. I'd do everything to find a replacement. Rees is noticably on the decline and the end is near. If we had someone better than Cooper in the starting spot, Rees could still be an ok backup, playing 10 mins. But Cooper's not much more than a backup himself, which exposes Rees.

That's what I reckon anyway.

Reply #20054 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yep. Dan Thompson for sure. Wasn't he injured earlier this year? Otherwise, you just couldn't take Gower over him!

Reply #20056 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

KEEP : Maher, Farley, Dusty, Jacob, Cooper, Rees, Ng (if he comes cheap)

LET GO : Williams, Nash.

UNSURE : Hill.

Reply #20065 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If anyone remembers Dan T had a knee reconstruction right before taking the Sixers last roster spot at the start of 2003/04 - he'd be an excellent fit, definitely in front of guys like Gower, Hambour.

On the Rees question, are there really any other bigs with the game smarts he has around in SA ball? Should they try to lure Truslove back?

Reply #20068 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

Stiff/Pepper for Rees
Nash to stay but with reduced salary, very handy sixth man if fit.
Williams has to go, replaced by a YOUNG guard, and id have to say Ng is in the same category, is not like he has lit it up at all.
Forman to be the starting three sport, Holmes to play more guard.

Imports are suited to Adelaide, a must keep for both Rychart and Farley.

STARTERS: Maher, Farley, Forman, Rychart, Stiff/Pepper

BENCH: Holmes, Nash, Cooper, Hill, Thompson.

Reply #20071 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

As long as Williams goes I will be happy

Reply #20072 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Everyone needs to keep an eye on Pini (Ryan K) at the A.I.S. this year. Hopefully he tears it up and they push to get him hard, (espically if Maher leaves for Europe).

Rees has another season of doing the intangibles left in him I feel. Certainly no one else is going to come at his price and give the same production. Maybe give Pero a call, see if he has expended his intellect a little. If he has maybe he will play for the right price. Otherwise I don't know where else to look. Truslove is cheap but no where near as good. Rojers to return for little cash? Very doubtful.

Farley and Dusty should be signed now. Holmes should be signed, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves (I have no inside info, just guessing he wants to push for Australian selection and maybe Adelaide isn't the place to do it plus there were some Europe rumours). Maybe Catt will take a pay-cut to come fill that place? Maybe not?

Cooper is good for a back-up spot.

Williams is too injury-prone. His time is over.

Nash may still be of worth, can be used as a last resort to sign but not a pirority.

Reply #20076 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Stayers :

Forman
Rees
Cooper
Maher
Farley ( maybe )
Rychart
Hill
Nash

Out :

J Will : dont let the door hit you on the way out
NG : just not an NBL player...yes hes scores but he is to small to play d and is a bog weakness at the defence end
Gower : Thanks and hope you enjoyed it
Hambour : Make room for some other players
Holmes : go find you shot in Sydney or maybe Tville when Reidy retires.

In:

a capable back up guard 1/2 ( Matt Shannahan, Ben Thompson)
A big capable of playing the 4/5 ( Stiffy/ D Moore I am looking in your direction)

Reply #20086 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Keep Holmes. He is in a shooting slump, that's all.

Reply #20090 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah loose williams for hill, gower, hambour for some others. My real worry is that there has been no tak of anyone even in talks! a while ago it was beat up and things were going to start, now its nothing. Does anyone know what is going on?

Reply #20107 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Considering finals are only 3-4 weeks away, I think you will find contract talks have stopped.

For mine, Williams NBL carer is over, unless thrown a life line by one of the "struggling" clubs, ie Cairns or New Zealand. I have nothing bad to say about him, just his run of injuries has been unfortunate to him.

If Nash feels his body can stand the rigors of an NBL season (and that would have to surely be a big IF), I would like to think the 6ers will sign him again. The fact they have kept him around, rather than just release him altogether shows they have some faith in him.

I really think Holmes will go elsewhere. Remember he actually tested market depth at the start of this season, and only signed back with the 6ers at the last minute. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings or Hawks pounce there.

I agree Dusty and Willie should be signed ASAP, as well as Maher, Cooper, Rees. As for the others...well I think it's more wait and see who becomes available.

Reply #20140 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't know how people form an opinion on Nick Hambour. We've hardly seen him on the court in the Sixers uniform. He is an excellent ABL player, but unless he is given the time on court, you can't judge. I say give him another year with some extra court time, then decide.

Reply #20161 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Even if it is the only change for the team - Williams has... just has to go! Im sure sturt has an under 10 2's team that needs a coach... and if were lucky take hambour with u.....

just imagine that.. :D

Reply #20164 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can't believe all the negative talk here. I would agree Jason will probably leave, but credit where credit is due - he's given a lot to the club and hopefully he'll enjoy his time with us down at Mount Gambier, the home of the next NBL franchise (though we'll have to put an extra 20 seats on court 2 to meet NBL guidelines!).

As for Nashy, the hot tip is he'll walk away himself if his body isn't right. He has other aspirations in life besides basketball and this may be the time to pursue them. The club is desperate to keep him.

Reesy? For the price they pay, he is gold.

New players? Hill would be great, but is his AIS time up?

Otherwise, Stiffy, Moore, Pero would be great, but it's a $ thing. Maybe we need to ask Sydney and Melbourne how they afford all those darn players!!

Reply #20207 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why do we talk about keeping players because of the price they pay. That attitude does not win championships. Every NBL team is on the same salary cap. Isn't there questions that need to be raised as to why Melbourne can boast a bench of Stiff, Mottram, D-Mac, Tucker & Corletto, when we have Rees, Hill, Ng, Gower & Hambour. I can't see Melbourne's star studded line up fit into the salary cap but this has always been an argument. Anyone of Melbourne's players who are not still contracted to the team can be snapped up by any other team for a better salary. What does Melbourne offer them that keeps them there (within NBL rules that is)?

Reply #20218 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Well said EC! Hambour needs more court time as a Sixer before people diss him and say get rid of him

Reply #20219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Go for Maher first. Then Dusty. Keep Cooper, Forman and Holmes. And get Hill. That's 6.

If Maher stays, get Farley. If Maher goes and no AU PG emerges, we might be forced to use an import spot on that position? Either way, that's 7.

If Nashy wants to go, let him go. Otherwise, bench forward.

Look for a new option at centre, but if no options arise, go for Rees again (he's not going to get any slower!). So, new centre or Rees makes 8.

So far, 2 centres, 3 forwards, 2 or 3 guards.

Not sure what Ng's situation is. Isn't out of his depth in the NBL, but I just can't see what he could be offered that would compete with his "other career". If not Darren, get the next good PG to come out of the AIS or get Brad Robbins or someone like that.

Put Dan Thompson on the bench (haven't seen him play in a couple of years, but haven't heard anything negative since).

Maher/Ng
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Thompson
Cooper/Rees

The bench looks inexperienced, but if Hill develops quickly and Thompson is already solid, I don't think it's too shabby.

Reply #20220 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sure Hambour hasn't been given a chance. But, if he had been making enough of an impression in training, Phil would try and rotate him through.

Gerlach has done enough to gain a few minutes here and there, and Hill has come straight in and got quite a few minutes.

Maybe (and it's only a maybe) Hambour hasn't done enough to grab his oppurtunity's with both hands. It's not like we couldn't do with a third big body some games (today will be one of them)

Reply #20222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Gerlach and Hill are getting opportunities because we're short on guards.

Reply #20231 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

When discussing Melbourne, remember Gaze and his cronies play for next-to-nothing. Gives them a fair headstart.

Reply #20232 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why do they play for next to nothing? Don't they have bills to pay? Gaze has a family, 3 or 4 kids (not sure). How does he support them?

Reply #20236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze's kids go to school with my cousins but thats beside the point, he probably earns a nice living of endorsments and clinics/ appearances.

Reply #20237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could sell his Phillips Wide screen if he fell on hard times.

Reply #20238 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC - Gaze has his own shoe available for sale, features in ads on national TV, has his own website, would've picked up some handy cash from his NBA stint, etc.

I don't think Gaze would need a $175k contract to support his children. Many people do it comfortably on far less.

They play for next to nothing because they don't need/want maximum contracts. If it helps out the team and gives them a successful and positive workplace, why wouldn't they?

Because Tucker was cut by the Wildcats, he could play for minimum while still getting the balance paid to him by Perth. Easy. Melbourne would've pitched to him the prime opportunity to make a run at the championship and maybe join the roster as a starter when Copeland retires.

Reply #20242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stiff unlikey to come to adelaide as still has next year to go on his contract, unless melbourne drop him for someone, unlikely however as Gaze SR likes his unorthodox technique and maturity. Will have more chance of aquiring him however if Gaze Sr retires.

Reply #20245 | Report this post

Lt. Bookman  
Years ago

Wheres the big Hairy Man Sapwell these days?
Is there a spot for him?

Reply #20349 | Report this post

Zooper Dooper  
Years ago

Sapwell has his eye on a seat on the bench - the one Phil sits in.

Reply #20353 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

The reason that the tigers have so many good players is because when a player plays for over 10 years i think for a club his salary is only counted 50% on the cap - Bradtke-Gaze-Copeland are all getting more than what is stated in the cap

Reply #20559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754