Anonymous
Years ago

36ers Average Crowd Stats

Does anyone know what the season-by-season average 36ers home game attendance stats are? I really want to know what they are.

Topic #17684 | Report this topic

Surmdog  
Years ago

i have no idea about the final figure but i go to every home game i would say 4000-4500

Reply #207724 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

in the last 10 years i would say from 98-2003 we probably had over 6-7000 every game on average but from 2004-08 more like 4-4500.

Reply #207725 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's a reflection of the success of the 36ers in the past. With the performances of the last few years, its not surprising that fans have dropped out. It gets a bit monotonous watching them lose all the time. You've got to spend money to make money. Perhaps someone might like to tell Hemmerling that. I don't know what people's opinion of Hemmerling is but when he bought the team, my immediate thought was that huge improvements were going to happen and he was going to bring them back to their earlier glory days. With his expertise in sporting management he would have made a success of his investment. I am quite surprised at how ineffective he has been since becoming the owner. In fact, I haven't seen any sign of the successful entrepreneur he was during the Adelaide Grand Prix and the Sydney Olympics.

Reply #207737 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Well I thought we were lucky to actually have someone come in and take over. Things were not that healthy if you recall.

Reply #207744 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

EC, Yes you have to spend money to make money but frivilous spending will have you bankrupt in a short time. I think the club is in a good financial position at the moment.
There has been money spent on the Dome so I don't think Mr. Hemmerling has been ineffective.

Reply #207745 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Mr Hemmerling has not brought back the former glory to the club either. We are yet to make playoffs under his ownership. Sure its risky spending money but not spending it stagnates the club.

Reply #207746 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We haven't made the playoffs during his ownership as he had Smyth at his worst. We will make it this season!

Reply #207747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC take a look around the league. The Tigers used to get 15,000 to games in Melbourne. Now they can't even fill a 3,000 seat stadium. And they spend more money on 4 players then the 36ers spend on their whole team.

The sport itself has been on a massive slide since the early to mid 90s when we were averaging big numbers. In fact I think you'll find the slide really started for the 36ers after our 2nd championship, despite the fact we went on to win again the following season. Lack of wins certainly hurts but IMO its the league itself which has had the greatest impact on attendances.

I would rather Mal spend money wisely then take the Bullets route of buying a championship then not existing 2 years later.

Reply #207748 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon - good post. EC seems to glaze over the fact that the NBL is in the worst state it's ever been. If you compare the Sixers crowds to the rest of the league, we have probably faired the best out of the traditionally strong clubs.

Reply #207756 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

What I don't understand is why, if they are only getting small crowds, dont they give a heap of tickets to school kids and things like that. Perhaps Kids get in free with every paying adult. Better numbers = better atmosphere, and a more enjoyable experience for all.

If they give away tickets to people and they get another 1000 people to the games, they will make cash from the $8 cokes,etc. You cant get your money back on empty seats.

Reply #207761 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I recall Isaac making that point, perhaps last season? I think it was comparing some game-day promotions the wildcats had running, different ticket packages etc that basically utilised seats that would have been empty anyway whilst increasing the number of paying customers at the same time.

Has to be looked at seriously - a family ticket where only the adults pay would be a winner IMO. even if you get another 100- 150 families there, that's car park revenue, food and drink etc for another 4-500 people

Reply #207763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skin how would you feel if you bought a season ticket or 4 or 5 of them and then they gave away 1000 free tickets? Giving away free tickets IMO devalues the ticket and just pisses off those that actually purchase tickets.

Reply #207764 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

As a seasons ticket holder, i would have no problem with last minute giveaways. As long as the freebees go to people who genuinely come and watch.

Reply #207768 | Report this post

BabyJ  
Years ago

They should be giving out tickets to a different club every game to get grass roots to the game.

Reply #207779 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Give them out to different junior footy clubs. Possibly poach back some youngsters from Aussie Rules..

Reply #207782 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Anon- I agree with you in that sence, but I know that I would rather go to the dome with a packed house than half packed.

If you are a season ticket holder mabe you should get other perks, like free car parking or something else that makes it a bit different to the freebe ticket holders, Im not saying that this is the solution, because idealy you want a packed dome, with all people paying, but atleast games will feel like the old days

Reply #207789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've shown a bit of interest in the 36ers over the years, & I thought we had 4 titles. (?)
Also, just from a season ticket sales point of view, you might be interested to know that the majority
of them left during our previous management. When surveyed, the major reasons for them dropping out, were lessening of season ticketholder priviledges, being taken for granted, & lack of communication. I'm pretty happy that we have an owner who has been passionate about our team & doing what he responsibly can, during the down-turn in the league.
I'd suggest some here need to grow up & start appreciating what we still have.

Reply #207807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754