Why
Years ago

Why Gawler for U18 Nationals?

Why Gawler for the U18 national championships in 2009. It's in the middle of nowhere!!

Topic #17708 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because they have the best courts all around, wheras other stadiums only hav 1 or 2 good courts....

Reply #208042 | Report this post

Why  
Years ago

28 teams, nowhere to stay!!

Reply #208043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they have the best courts all round wheras other stadiums have 1 0r 2 good courts and thats it...

Reply #208044 | Report this post

Why  
Years ago

hosting a nationals is more than courts

Reply #208046 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

not when its the only stadium with enough courts other than MV. they will probly put a temp stand up on court 2. therefore only being able to use three courts.

Now if it was at wayville of pas, only two courts could be used.

Reply #208047 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wasn't there a similar thread a couple of months ago?

Starplex has the best courts in the State and there are four in a row. Starplex is just 30 mins from the CBD, hardly the "middle of nowhere".

Why,
If Starplex is so offensive to you, where would you like the see this held?

(I suppose another post will give people another opportunity to vent their prejudices and their sheltered Adelaide attitudes.)

Reply #208050 | Report this post

Pasadena 15  
Years ago

Wayville has hosted nationals before (U-16's in 2003 i think? and U-18's in 2006?), so it can't be 'because of the courts'.

Reply #208051 | Report this post

lion,hear me roar  
Years ago

seems to becoming a regular thing now!!!!so that should tell you something. Well run,superior venue and .....need I say more.

Reply #208058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand everyone's love for the courts at Starplex.

The surface is so hard after a week of basketball knees and ankles certainly feel the pressure. I'd almost rather play at Mt.Barker. They're not even proper basketball courts, they're multi purpose and clearly not of the same quality of the courts at say the Dome or Wayville.

The rings are terrible and so tight you get no roll on them at all.

On the plus side the venue itself is set up really well, no doubts there but even that is not perfect. There still isn't enough room for teams during a championship, the money raised from the Canteen goes outside of the sport and there's not enough seating for spectators.

The only reasons I can come up with that they go back is because in Nationals mode you can use three courts there (although they better not play any SA games on court 3 or 4 next year) and also combining three clubs to run the event means less pressure for volunteers.

Personally I'd rather Forestville/Sturt or even Forestville/Woodville co-host the tournament and run games at Wayville/Pasadena or Wayville/Dome. While using two venues isn't perfect it has been done before (both in SA and interstate) and also means games are played in Adelaide rather then so far away from so many basketball people.

If BSA could get some real support from local councils and the State Government to build some decent basketball venues around the city then I doubt Starplex would be hosting championships. Personally the fact we use Starplex just highlights how antiquated our venues in Adelaide are, even the newer ones like Wayville and Pasadena.

Reply #208062 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Will, with any luck, be looking for accommodation for the week (ideally a house or unit). If anybody has any leads or inside Adelaide info, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Reply #208068 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Totally agree. Adelaide has stuff-all suburban stadiums, and some embarrassing buildings that wouldn't be in use in Melbourne or Sydney get constant use. Some of that $100 million for AAMI (another useless venue) would be better diverted to community sports facilities.

Reply #208069 | Report this post

Why  
Years ago

Wayville would have been a much better choice, due to location. The U16 & U18 championships held there in recent years have been good, whats the problem now???

Reply #208071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First of all I think Pasadena have only one complying court - 2 and 3 the roofs are too low.

Secondly depends where you live in Adelaide to say that Starplex is too far out. I live at Modbury and find it easier to get to Starplex than Wayville and as for Pasadena - no thanks.

U14 nationals have been held there recently and i Believe they went well - certainly in terms of teams and people attending it would be comparable.

Reply #208076 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Starplex really isn't THAT far, you'd swear Nationals were being held in Renmark with the stink some are kicking up.

Reply #208077 | Report this post

The choice of Gawler is poor.
No-one is going to go - which is probably just as well as there is not enough spectator room. Though the organisers are making sure of it by charging a RIDICULOUS entry fee - $15 to see U14 girls?

Two courts at Wayville, one at Pasadena (similar to the Ballarat setup) is by far the best way to go. The atmosphere at Wayville at the 18s there a few years ago was superb - yup, they need a third court, but Pasadena is 5 minutes up the road.

Reply #208078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, Starplex is further out then West Lakes.

I don't think you can have a go at people complaining about the location of a junior basketball tournament when you have so many people complaining about the location of AAMI Stadium and even the Dome.

Also as has been mentioned the majority of people attending the event will be coming from interstate and Gawler simply can't accomidate the numbers of people who require accomidation close by.

I'm curious as to who actually makes the decision about where these events are held. Does anyone know?

Reply #208085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An interesting question! Is it the competitions committee? How many are on that?

Reply #208091 | Report this post

knowl  
Years ago

I have forgotten more than they know about basketball

Reply #208094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The recent U14 nationals proved that Starplex is an ideal spot for the competition. Not only with the courts but other facilities available. The competitions committee did a great job of organising the event and it still ran smoothly during a couple hour blackout.
The committee has a number of hard workers from Centrals,Woodville and North Adelaide and sorry "knowl" you could live to 200 and you'll never have the basketball knowledge of those people

Reply #208097 | Report this post

Smash  
Years ago

FFS is it Adelaide as a state hosting the championships or is it Gawler being so far out or is the real reason that Centrals are the host club and clubs like Forestville and Sturt have missed the fuck out.
FFS this anti central propaganda sucks some of you douchebags need to grow up.

Reply #208100 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

Smash, no one mentioned Centrals you Douche, they are discussing the pros and cons of the stadium.

Reply #208103 | Report this post

Smash  
Years ago

Because they have nothing to bag central about in this instance so they do through the cons of being so far away from anywhere. If Starplex was anywhere else, it wouldn't be an issue but because it centrals....problem alert we must fine one.

Reply #208106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starplex is used because of not just the bball venue but also the services available on site eg. Physio, Pool, Surgery and changerooms. Name me another stadium with four courts and all of those services in Adelaide??

Also How many of these tournaments are held in the CAPITAL city of a State, normally held in the larger country cities eg. Geelong, Newcastle and Albury. Accomodation is an issue with many teams from the U14 nationals staying in Salisbury and Elizabeth area as well as Gawler, I understand that its not the idea location but the facilities are second to none with anything else in Adelaide matching up.

Reply #208130 | Report this post

Fire Fox  
Years ago

3 out of the 5 people who decide where the Tournament is played are from North, Centrals and Woodville.

Absolute nepotism.

Reply #208133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smash relax champ

Issue are with the location being Gawler, no one has mentioned Centrals until you did. No need to be so defensive.

Reply #208135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FireFox - if that is true it is an absolute disgrace!

Reply #208137 | Report this post

Starplex is used because of not just the bball venue but also the services available on site eg. Physio, Pool, Surgery and changerooms

These are dumb reasons to select a venue to host a national championship bar changeroom availability (plus court numbers and quality). A lot of the teams - Vic, NSW, I think even SA Metro last year - take their own physio. Nearly every team ensures their accomodation has a pool for recovery. Changerooms? Rubbish - they don't have enough of them (or at least didn't at 14 boys a few years ago). It should be about exposing as many people as possible to the event - and this will NOT happen at Gawler. It should be held in a venue near town - whether that be the Dome, Wayville, Pasadena or (most likley as the need for 3 courts and 4-6 changerooms) a combination of them.

Reply #208140 | Report this post

in the nose  
Years ago

I have an idea why dont you ask the Eagles who lost the tender process, thats right you tender for the event and someone alittle higher up than 3 people at North decide where to hold the event.

Let me run you through what may have helped the tender and trust me courts are definately the start.

Car parking, for buses etc.
Catering for spectators
Room for referee debriefs
video facilities for coaches.
enough courts to allow teams to practice and play
decent enough facility to hold opening and closing ceremony. eg Starplex Aud.
GYM
Pools for recovery, no need to book a hotel with a pool if one is in the complex.
lighting
enough change rooms

all of this is promoted in the tender pitch, I think you will find the Centrals, Woodville and North bid was better than the others coming from this state. end of story.

get used to these events heading north of Adelaide someone at Basketball Australia must also like the quality venue.

Reply #208162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A combinatoion of stadiums would be stupid, i mean scouting is a huge thing at these events and by making teams travel to different venues makes this harder. North Woodies and Centrals all pitched for this event and Basketball Australia obviously thinks its the best venue for the event.

Use the dome for example: It has change rooms and 3 courts. Umpires rooms i guess u can stick them in a random room under the stands, Pool (well i dont think there is one anywhere near the stadium), Coaching on the middle court (Every team in S.A hates playing there because you coach from the BASELINE), Where would you hold the opening Ceremony (On the courts, very professional, the Apollo Room isnt big enough).

STARplex gives Basketball Australia a very good deal on the event, giving them use of the Crache for oganising comittee, Pool access for players, The pec Deck cafe gives teams 30% meals if ordered 1.5 hours before pick up, not to mention the sheer size of the whole complex. With a reception and cafe area the size of STARplex no one feels crowded and has plenty of room to move.

Lets be honest its one thing Sturt and Forestville dont get their way and they kick up a huge fuss. Get over it Basketball Australia like the Venue and from all reports from the U14 Girls club nationals all the teams said the facilities were great, the convinence of all that on site stuff really made it easier for teams and managers to organise the trip.

Reply #208166 | Report this post

Frog 45  
Years ago

OK, let's go! Let's see of these criteria which is better out of Starplex or Wayville/Pasadena.

Car parking, for buses etc.
Both very adequate

Catering for spectators
Again both very adequate

Room for referee debriefs
Starplex, I guess!

video facilities for coaches.
I think you mean video areas, both OK

enough courts to allow teams to practice and play
Wayville/Pasadena by a mile. This is one of the problems with the Starplex for an 18's that doesn't come up with a 14's

decent enough facility to hold opening and closing ceremony.
Starplex but Wayville is fine.

Pools for recovery, no need to book a hotel with a pool if one is in the complex.
Recovery is done at team accomodation not at the stadium. So Wayville gets this one as the total lack of quality accomodation near the Starplex ensures that people are struggling to find enough beds.

lighting
Starplex

enough change rooms
Wayville

Now add 2 big ones
Accomodation for teams
Wayville by an absolute city mile

Spectator numbers
Wayville. A central venue ensures everyone across Adelaide will be able to attend. The Starplex cuts down the likely number of spectators by a half.

Wayville/Pasadena wins hands down!

Reply #208167 | Report this post

cruella  
Years ago

Firefox, the decision was made by the South Australian Basketball Commission and NOT the Competitions Committee.
The Commission's recommendation then had to go to Basketball Australia.
Before you make any accusations about nepotism, may I suggest you check your facts.

Reply #208178 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

Get over it you soft cocks - fantastic venue for a championship. Wayville is for girls. Pasadena too small. Only downside is hopefully your car is still there after the game in the car park. Best venue in Adelaide as a complex goes. Blame your state government and the clowns that built the dome.

Reply #208192 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

ok Frog 45... how about we try again with out being bias!

Car Parking: Starplex by a mile (where the hell are you going to park a bus at pas?)

Catering: Starplex by a mile, neither of the other stadiums have any more than a small canteen let alone a discounted price for real meals.

Rooms for reffs: Starplex, although you could probably use the bar at wayville and pas for that... we will call that even.

Video facilities again we will call a tie

Courts: for games obviously starplex, although the wo courts and pas that would be unusable for games would be good for practise. But also having only one court used for games in an entire stadium would leave it with NO atmosphere and would be just plain dumb. So im giving this to starplex, although i can see arguments for both.

facilities ceremonies: even

Recovery facilities: Starplex hands down... saying that reconery is done at the teams hotels is baised on teams not having access to any of those facilities any where else. Having them at the complex is ideal and gives the teams more options for accomidation.

Lighting: Starplex

Change rooms: Wayville/Pas

Accomidation: well yes wayville, but tbh I dont see it as a issue at starplex because with one game a day by driving 25/30mins you can have access to the cities accommidation.

Spectators: well wayville

starplex wins hands down

Reply #208217 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

nutter,

1/ You can cordon of the dirt area for buses only at Pas.

2/ You bring in catering. Just like Forestville have done for previous championships.

3/ Where exactly are teams going to train at Gawler? The starplex facility will not be able to have any trainings as it will be in use for games from 9am to 9pm every day.

4/ No team will do recovery at Starplex. You need to have you meals, evalution and recovery based around games and training times and include sleep. Not to mention that you will be traveling to and from accomodation due to there being no accomodatin close to the Starplex stadium. = Not relevent.

Reply #208223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can argue here about the merits of where best to hold this championship and I am sure there is no certain right or wrong answer.

But what is certain is that the group pitching the starplex solution obviously did this much better than anyone considering Wayville/Pasadena as they had the support of BA (not BSA). It is nice to have good facilities but it is the management of the championships which is equally as important.

Dare I say it but perhaps there are some things which Forestville/Sturt may not be the best at.

Reply #208229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that the Centrals, North and Woodville people have surged on here to spread the propoganda - perhaps they could try to justify charging $15 to go to the 14 girls!! Disgraceful!

Reply #208230 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Don't see anywhere that it say's about Forestville/Sturt.

It's about Starplex not being as suitable as Wayville/Pasadena to run the championship.

Mainly due to no accomodation and a lack of availablility to spectators due to it being 1 hour away from a large proportion of the people who will come to watch. Then having a $15 per day entry fee. And no training facilities for teams.

Reply #208244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville/Sturt, as far as I'm aware, weren't beaten by North/Woodville/Centrals because they didn't combine to make a bid. So it has NOTHING to do with them - or any of the clubs - but to do with how can this tournament be best promoted and attended.

Reply #208251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry me a river!

Reply #208258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this championship played in winter or summer. Just need to know so I can determine if I need to bring my flippers or a portable cooler if it ever was played at Wayville.

Reply #208382 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

seriously wayville great spot for dog shows i believe

Reply #209577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so country folk don't have as far to travel

Reply #209968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well will the spence be there again

Reply #210041 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wayville stadium needs to have air conditioning to be to the same standard as Starplex.

Reply #210044 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Starplex also has a large quiet and separate theatre/auditorium which is good for ceremonies, presentations etc. This has big screen video and sound system and can also be opened up next to court 4 if necessary.

Good feedback from participants at previous Australian U14 girls and around 3 years ago the U14 boys championships run by the same 3 clubs at the venue would also have been taken into consideration.

Reply #231888 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Starplex also has a large quiet and separate theatre/auditorium which is good for ceremonies, presentations etc. This has big screen video and sound system and can also be opened up next to court 4 if necessary.

Good feedback from participants at previous Australian U14 girls and around 3 years ago the U14 boys championships run by the same 3 clubs at the venue would also have been taken into consideration.

Reply #231889 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754