Quagmire
Years ago

NBA Rookie Watch - ROTY

I know there is a prediction thread, but i figure to get down to specifics.

Watched some highlights and have made my decision.

Derrick Rose will be Rookie of the year.

Watched him play and was very impressed with his ability to take over games. He plays at a high speed, but seems to have forever to make the decisions he makes- and he usually makes the right ones.

Most NBA players play at high speeds, but its the ones who maintain control at high speed that become great- Rose has that in spades.

Topic #17765 | Report this topic

tmagz03  
Years ago

Rose posted 14 points and 6 assists in the last quarter alone to beat the dallas mavericks...he is the most explosive guard in the NBA and after watching that game i believe he is a shoe in for ROTY also.

Reply #208587 | Report this post

Billy!!!  
Years ago

I think Rose will be a good player as a rookie but I dont feel he will be consistant enough to become R.O.Y.

Mainly because if he isn't playing well, Hinrich a pretty good PG will take his minutes, I guess if Hughes is out for a while then we may see more of him on the court....but other Rookies wont have that problem...OJ Mayo and Beasley haven't got players that will truly cut into there minutes...I think one of those two will be able to get the shots and minutes to become R.O.Y.

Never know another one may step up and go crazy and become an all-star straight away basicly EG. Chris Pauls Rookie Season

Reply #208589 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You watch him in one game game and you make your call on that!! That is silly as! Dallas aren't a team known for their defence also.

Isn't Oden considered a Rookie this year? I would say Oden or Beasley will get it. Beasley has done well in limited minutes while Oden is just a beast!

Reply #208591 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oden or Rose IMO.

Oden may not play a full season though. Even though I am a parochial Bulls fan, Rose does seem to be "NBA ready" more so than Beasley. Having said that, PG is the toughest position to play, especially as a rookie...

Reply #208594 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Seen more than one game KingJames.

Oden will be the better player over a career, but for this year i see him used sparingly because of his injury concerns. In blow out wins, he won't play the fourth. Same for big losses. He may still be lucky to play over 65-70 games.

If i'm wrong and he stays healthy, plays good minutes, i think Oden will probably win.

I just find it more likely that the media will fall in love with home town Rose and Oden will be hurt for long stretches.

Rose also has a bit of Tony Parker about him when he gets close to the hoop. Finishing on the left is not a prob- he actually seems to prefer it.

Reply #208602 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Only thing im worried about with Rose is his Jumpshot. I haven't seen him comfortable or accurate when shooting that outside jumper. There a smart, intelligent guards in the NBA. I think they will just play him into his weaknesses i.e I think smart defenders can force him into the outside j.

Reply #208608 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I WILL BET MY LIFE GREG ODEN WILL BE THE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

ALL ROOKIE FIRST TEAM

BEASLEY
ODEN
LOPEZ
OJ MAYO
ROSE

WATCH OUT FOR CDR CHRIS DOUGLAS ROBERTS HE CAN FILL IT UP AND FOR THE NETS TO GET HIM 42ND PIK IN THE SECOND ROUND WAS ABSOLOUTE GOLD. LIKE A MANU GINOBILI OR NICK VAN EXCEL. COULD BE A FUTURE ALL STAR FROM 2ND ROUND.

Reply #208609 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

It is a problem, i just don't see it as a major problem.

Rose is like Tony Parker in that he can still hit open looks, and like TP, he can get in the lane and finish or create jumpers for other players.

Kidd and Hill had poor jumpers, but when your the player creating scores; taking the ball at the defence creates more opportunities for teammates than hitting pull ups.

That is why i think Hill to the suns was such a terrible move. He needs to be the guy creating, feeding shooters when breaking down the D, instead it is nash's job and hill can't finish the open looks nash provides.

Side tracked, sorry.

Point is, if your the creator of the offence, an awesome jumper is not essential. A good jumper is still needed and i think Rose has that.

Reply #208610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was watching the highlights of the bulls-mavs game on nba.com/video and there is a clip where Rose blows by his defender by driving baseline but his speed and acceleration is unbelievable. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Anyone else see that?

Reply #208615 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I still don't understand why everyone looks past Beasley he is barely being even mentioned here when he was clearly the most dominate player in College BBall. His stats are even better then Durants was when he was in College and he came out and had a 20 points per game season. Durant is a Small forward while Beasley is a Power forward and some feel he wont be able to make the adjustment with bigger players in the league. However, I think he will have a decent season with 18-22ppg and 10 rpg which in most season's would be enough to win ROTY

Reply #208619 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Durant was the only guy with a green light to shoot in last year's class. Beasley has to contend with ball hog Marion, and D.Wade taking shots.

Beaslety will be a 'tweener in the NBA, not a PF.

Reply #208624 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

What about Fernandez? - don`t go to sleep on him. If he was on a weaker team he would be right up there, question is how much time he will get on a stacked team like the Blazers.

Reply #208625 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I think Kevin Love is a chance to make the all rookie team also.

He has enough basketball IQ to overcome his apparant lack of physical attributes.

Reply #208629 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Johnny Sack- I like Fernandez ALOT. watched him play in the gold medal game for spain and he seemed to possess all the qualities to become a solid NBA player. Has good height at 6"6(i think), can get to the rim and finish(he posterized one of the USA team members--cant remeber though). He also has a good outside jumper.

Also, those people talking about Oden being used sparingly because of the injury---Nate McMillan, Blazers coach, said he aimed to use Oden for around 30 minutes a game. Wouldn't call that sparingly.

Reply #208643 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yep skux - There were a few stretches in that game where he was the best player on the court (from either team) - and he single-handedly kept Spain in the game when the US looked like blowing it open. The dunk was on Dwight Howard BTW - NICE!

Reply #208652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oden. No question.

Reply #208701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754