Clem Scott
Years ago

New FIBA rules

With the introduction of the new FIBA rules has anyone noticed their usage or are they being utilised only at some stadiums.
I watched 7 games at Marion on the weekend and FIBA does not seem to have contacted them concerning the changes.
Watched another two games at Forestville and the half way cross over rule was the only one used.
Have not seen an unsportmanlike fastbreak called south of the CBD in the two weeks.

Topic #17800 | Report this topic

Pugsley  
Years ago

Saw the unsportsmanlike fast break foul called in a Div 3 Mens game a couple of weeks back at Wayville

Reply #208868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know of or can give me (and probably others) a quick summary of what these changes are?

Reply #208883 | Report this post

Weapon X  
Years ago

A lot of the changes just won't happen as players will play to the old rules.

Reply #208884 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

The new rules are set out on this link.

www.basketballsa.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Admin_Documents/Note_on_2008_Rule_Changes__complete_.pdf

Reply #208898 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

I thought the frst two weeks after the rule changes came in a warning had to be given to the player. Especially for the automatic unsportmanlike for fouling when the ball is not in play and for fouling on a fast break if it is not front on

Reply #208905 | Report this post

MBTM  
Years ago

the new unsportsmanlike foul is terrible. i can understand the concept of it, trying to create an even standard across all games etc. however, by the definition of the word 'unsportsmanlike' the conduct of the foul must be somewhat malicious - and against the general nature of the game. for that reason, i feel it should remain to be at the discretion of the umpire regardless of how contreversial it could be. the entire situation of the game should be taken into account. ie. winning margin, context of that basket etc.

Reply #208908 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I asked this in the 36ers vs. Wildcats game thread but got no replies:

RULE CLARIFICATION: When a player gets fould during a put-back dunk/layup.
-I know in the NBA it is not a shooting foul because the player is in the act of rebounding, not shooting. However, after it happened to Al Loughton and I called the ref a prick for getting it wrong, a guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said the NBL/FIBA rule is different. Is that right?

Anyone?

Reply #208911 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

i had the unsportsmanlike rule called on me 2 months ago, is bullshit

Reply #208918 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

XztatiK not sure where you get your NBA ruling from but any putback/dunk is a shot so therefore if you are fouled in the act of a put back then yes it is a shooting foul.

Same should be the case in the NBA but I haven't actually checked the NBA rule book yet.

Reply #208923 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Have seen the half way cross over rule applied a few times, usually resulting in a no call with complaints from the sidelines. This change is an improvement, particularly in junior games as the old rule often did more to interrupt the game than enhance it.

Have seen the unsportsmanlike fast break foul applied in senior games, and a few situations where it should have been applied in junior games but wasn't. I don't like the rule, but now it's in the book it should be applied consistently & the ref has no discretion.

Reply #208928 | Report this post

Camel Toe  
Years ago

Ricey,

Your mere presence at a game of basketball is "unsportsman like."

Reply #208933 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

MTMB,

Thats where the unsportsmanlike comes in. The new rule on fouling while the ball is not in play being unsportsmanlike more applies to Europe which from what ive heard in the last few seconds where teams are in foul trouble were fouling to put the other team to the line with out any time being lost, which should be considered unsportsmanlike because any attempt to deliberately foul will have some sort of malace involved.

As for the fast break rule again if you are not infront of the player than to stop the fast break you must foul. This would be a deliberate foul and therefore have some kind of Malace involved, even if they are just trying to stop a fast break they are still intentially hitting the player, which means there is malace involved

Reply #209000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754