Isaac
Years ago

Boti: 36ers must act on Tyndale

Boti Nagy thinks it's time to make a move on 36ers import Mark Tyndale:

Since his first two games when he scored 16 and 30 and had 14 and 15 boards, the under-sized forward is averaging 11 points at 32 per cent, four rebounds and four assists.

Sorry but that doesn't cut it.

Last year the 36ers waited 18 rounds before Julius Hodge came in for Chappell when it was evident after the eighth game he could no longer get it done.
"Obviously Mark's not playing well," 36ers coach Scott Ninnis said.

"But he's no orphan in that.

"It is important to remember he didn't replace Julius Hodge. We were able to get both him and Aaron Bruce for Julius Hodge."

Hodge by the way has been cut by New Jersey but if he's asking mad money, the 36ers should look elsewhere. The point is it is time to look and bring in someone new.
Full article here

Topic #17805 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

Where is that from, Isaac ? I haven't seen that.

Reply #208925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subtle as a sledgehammer...

Reply #208926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel - added the article link in to the original post.

Reply #208927 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Wow...Boti is out for blood.

What's Willie up to these days? we've got enough defense to cover his lack of it these days =D

Reply #208931 | Report this post

nifty  
Years ago

Tyndale is certainly part of the problem.Yet we were told this is a talented team and defence was going to be a priority so far it the worst we have ever had even the stats show that.
Who is responsible for that not just Tyndale?

Reply #208936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm surprise he has made this bold a statement. i think he just does not want to see this season go down the toilet considering the team we have. How must tyndale be feeling at the moment!

Reply #208937 | Report this post

Years ago

'On any curl cut, he  and Brad Hill for that matter  chase their opponent around, find themselves behind and are so easily scored on as to be embarrassing.'

Careful Boti, this is a legitimate way of defending a curl cut with help from the post 'd'. Going over the top and allowing the flare giving up wide open jumpers is a worse option. As far as you know they were instructed to do this so I would be hesitant to start making comments on the x's and o's of the game.

Reply #208940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1233, he might be referencing how far they fall behind chasing the player? Not sure.

Had Ballinger and Maher played on Saturday, I think that would've been a narrow win. Can't see us falling behind that much early and then not being able to finish them off in the fourth after the big third quarter.

Reply #208948 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Perhaps Isaac but you can look at it the other way also, in that after Perth got a 20 point lead at half time they pretty much switched off. As shown in that 3rd quarter when we outscored them quite considerably. So while we had a really good come back it is hard to put it into context.

We got some really good positives out of that game so I think the team is going forward and the wins will come shortly.

Reply #208953 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Sure, Boti is critical of Tyndale, but the article is more critical of the 36ers front office. I am surprised that Boti has come out so early in the season to criticise people 'not on the floor'.

When you consider the fitness issues of Brett Maher and Davidson that Scotty has been quite open about, and Boti's previous article available on that same linky, 'Sixers hope for Kendell go West' and the parallels that Boti is also making with the Chappell situation, Boti is treading a very gutsy fine line, he is almost biting the hand that feeds.

Reply #208955 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Must say I agree with Boti on this. Tyndale looks lost on the court and seems frightned to take the initiative. However the sixers still don't seem to have many offensive plays options.I was also expecting to see a few more three point shots taken on Sat. particularly in the 4th and especially with Perth shooting them one after another, our offensive answer was to drive in for a two. Our other option was to get it into Schensh and if we could'nt do that (due to him being mugged under the basket) we didn't seem to have another option.
Also seemed like no one wanted to be the one to take a shot.
But Tyndale doesn't seem to realise he's supposed to be the big money player

Reply #208957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one and as a Sixers fan agree with Boti! Although I think Tyndale possesses a lot of potential his inexperience is not what the Sixers require. They need someone that wants to lead, wants to take the game by the balls and wants to be the man when things aren't going well! Tyndale, looks lost at times for scoring options and IMO the Sixers need an import that is going to score more than 10 points a game if we are going to be a force in the comp!

Just my opinion.....but think we need to act sooner rather than later!

Reply #208958 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst I agree and have from 1st game that Tyndale had limited skills for a import I was amazed that Boti wrote such a strong article after only 6-7 games
about Tyndale when he took so long to suggesting Chappell get cut. I agree with the points eavri and others made and surely would only be a financial issue that Sixers would not make decision straight away. Also sometimes hard to admit made a mistake.
Even if replaced as he was a cheap import you would have to analyze his replacement would be of same value

Reply #208962 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Why would Boti need to be diplomatic, when this season is shadowing our worst? Big difference though, is that we've only been down 1 import, for 1 game (through Gastro). Too subtle?
Boti brought up the point of an inexperienced front to office, well it's a carry-over from last year. Too subtle?
Boti biting the hand that feeds him? It's called survival. Boti derives an income from reporting local NBL games. Too subtle?
Our Head Coach kind of stick up for Tinnie, by saying he's no orphan in being below standard. I don't know about you, but that sort of stuff, doesn't make my day.
I know of a few horrendous decisions that have been made by "the inexperienced front office" (too subtle?), but I'll keep a zip on it, for the betterment of the club.

Reply #208968 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Before anyone thinks that I'm being a tool, & cry'n over "not being required" this year (as a volunteer), I'll 'fess that I'm home, working on my 3rd beer, & having the last laugh.
Too subtle? ; )

Reply #208970 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DDFan, your pointed subtleness, overbearing sarcasm, inability to see that not every post is made intentionally to annoy you, double posting and general paranoia never fails to annoy, but that may just be me.

As for whether Boti is biting the hand that feeds, surely it is the other way around. Boti is really the Sixer's only consistent and wide reaching source of information and promotion. It would really be the Sixers biting the hand that feeds it were it to get on the wrong side of Boti.

I don't doubt that the Sixers would be very concerned to head off any negative press from Boti, as he is the person that many casual fans read to see how the team is going. When Hodge joins the team mid last season, who brings in the additional 2,000 people? That would not all be word of mouth, much of it would be from people reading Boti's enthusiastic reports and deciding to go to the game. But there has to be something exciting for Boti to write about.

DDFan, no need for you to reply, I was kinda agreeing with you.

Reply #208975 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I double post, because there's no way on this site to edit/add to, a post. My bad. ; )
I don't wish to annoy, I welcome criticism, but would prefer if it was informed, & assure evryone, that I want the best for our team.
Thanks for your support.

Reply #208982 | Report this post

rookie  
Years ago

i was all for giving Tyndale a go but after saturdays game i felt he looked like he didn't even want to be out there. He doesn't seem to be able to cope with the whole system, many times looking lost and confused. While i believe he could become a good player we haven't got the time to let him develop and need someone like Hodge who will draw a crowd so we go into next season in a strong position to retain a team in the new system.

Reply #209009 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I kinda agree with getting rid of Tyndale, BUT at the same time, isnt it the WHOLE team thats not performing. Is there some underlying problem at the club right now thats unsettling the players, not just Tyndale, but Maher, Bruce, Davidson...all playing below par. Brad Hill is playing as shit as ever but who expected anything else.

I just think its odd that after 2 good games, and showing alot of promise a player can drop so badly, specially when the entire teams performance has dropped. Would hate to loose Tyndale to find out it wasnt him afterall.

Reply #209013 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Scott Ninnis on fiveaa just then.
Hodge wants $800,000 he said.
Maybe Boti will fire up Tyndale.. I think Cornsey said that.. Quiet shy polite guy..

( No Maher on Sunday calf injury )

Reply #209018 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I'm surprised at the number of people calling out Boti here. Look at the stats - Tinnie is averaging around 15ppg as an import - that simply doesn't cut it.

We took a risk bringing in a guy fresh out of college, and it hasn't paid off.

Some people might think that 15ppg is acceptable and that we have other scoring options. I'm not so sure ... Ballinger 20ppg, yes. Schenscher 15-20ppg, yes. But who else? Jacob's been over-performing so far, yet that hasn't made up for the poor performances from Tinnie, Bruce and Brett of late. We're averaging 96ppg as a supposedly offensive-minded ballclub, and conceding 104 ppg. Those extra 5ppg from our 2nd import, along with increased productivity from other sources, would be very valuable.

Now, of course, I'm not suggesting that they go out tomorrow and tell Tinnie to get stuffed, but as a paying member, I would expect them to be exploring possible options, including having serious discussions with Hodge. Anything less is irresponsible - which I think is the whole point that Boti is trying to make.

Reply #209019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the whole team is underperforming then shouldn't the coach be held accountable.............

And Hodge asking for $800,00 - just shows he really is the self-centred, not team oriented person after all.

Reply #209020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bretts the man, with Chappell there was a question about his recovery from injury that gave him some lenience. It's not quite the same situation with Tyndale - he played 40 minutes on Saturday night.

Reply #209035 | Report this post

Bort  
Years ago

If Tyndale is a bust, who takes responsible for recruiting him in the first place?

Reply #209038 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Scotty seems to still be well, we got Bruce and Tyndale for Hodge . While his form is not good all he can do is work hard on it.. but he's no Hodge, /..
and we got Bruce.. ( not his actual words, but something like that) And, the owner would have to pay Hodge the salary cap, and the rest of the team, play for free.. was his comment also.

Reply #209040 | Report this post

nifty  
Years ago

Fair point Scott recruited these guys so he has to take some responsibility most of it unless the management let him down.

Reply #209045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel - exactly. It was clear from the start that it was a choice of import or Bruce plus cheaper import. With Maher set to retire, I think the latter decision was the correct one. It just isn't looking quite its best given that both players are not at the top of their games right now.

Tyndale is averaging 14.4/7.0/4.4, and Bruce 13.7/2.5/4.8. Given that both have room to improve on those stats, maybe it's a matter of expectations, or the wrong cheap import?

If we had a single SG import instead of those two, right now we'd be forced to start Davidson and run Kersten for a bunch of minutes. And if we had Dusty, I have no idea what we'd be forced to start on Sunday without Maher or Winitana - probably Hill with Burdon backing him up?

Reply #209049 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes. So Bruce plus a reasonable import forward seemed good, didn't it. What I can't understand is how good Bruce was early games, and Tyndale 30points in his second game.. now they both are terrible.

Reply #209053 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't know why Hodge would bother with asking for $800K when surely he knows that it is the extent of the salary cap. What does he expect? That he will be the only paid player in the team? If that is his asking price, then obviously bargaining with him is a waste of valuable time, time that is quickly ticking away towards the end of the season. I just get so angry at reading things like that because its either untrue or grossly ridiculous. The only good that will come out of it is if Melbourne get him. Then surely there is an argument of adhering to the salary cap when its known what Hodge's asking price was.

Reply #209062 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It seems it comes back to the offence or their lack of offence. Bruce didn't seem right to me on Saturday night and my guess is he was crook. He kept going to the changeroom everytime he got subbed out and was drinking Poweraide from a bottle which to me suggests he was sick.
Things haven't gone all our way so far, but I still think we have the potential to be a great team with what we got. Right now it's a confidence thing. With the shit draw to start 2 games at home and then 4 on the road, we were always going to be succeptable to lose a few early. My guess is when they lost that first road game to a team they beat only days before it put a big dent in the confidence and since then the next 3 loses has compunded this.
They need a win to get them back on the roght path and you will see with time that they will "gel" (insert Phil) together. My call is a late surge to mthe finals but unfortunately lose in the semi or prelim...to New Zealand.

Reply #209063 | Report this post

nifty  
Years ago

Panther didn't you bag Phil when he said the gel word and they had a worse draw than this season maybe we are seeing what really is going on.Boti touched on it today

Reply #209067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, right now AU$800k is around US$500k. Not long ago when the rates were closer, AU$500k wouldn't have been absolutely ridiculous for a team like Melbourne or Brisbane to consider. I'd say there are and have been players getting around $400k.

He's not going to care about the cap or expect a job here. If teams are making an enquiry and his agent is stating a price, where's the drama?

Reply #209068 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, how much is unemployment benefit in USA?

Reply #209076 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"Panther didn't you bag Phil when he said the gel word and they had a worse draw than this season maybe we are seeing what really is going on.Boti touched on it today"
Could of, but don't remember doing so. Would you not agree in saying though that this team has a lot more potential than last year's?
Considering most of these guys are going around again together (bar Maher) it would be wiser to give them more opportunity to come together as a team.
Have a look at Melbourne, they have supposedly the best team ever and they have lost 3 games already.

Reply #209086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, if you think Hodge will be unemployed you are kidding yourself. He will/is getting plenty of offers from Europe.
There is about 20 leagues in the world that pay better than the NBL.
Stop thinking that Adelaide is the centre of the basketball universe, because its not even close.

Reply #209090 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

A lot of people are forgetting he was injured (eye) for almost an entire game in round 2. If you take that game out of his numbers he is averaging 15.5/7.8/5.2. Pretty respectible numbers, especially considering his D has been as good as anyone else's on the team imo. Get Maher, Bruce and Balls back to fitness and that's just about all we need from Tyndale.

As someone has already said, Tyndale is terrible at creating his shot. He relies on a good PG to feed him the ball on cuts and fast breaks to score. (which probably then helps his confidence levels resulting in more rbs/asts himself)

Looking at the stats, there is a clear correlation between Bruce's assists and Tyndale's points. Ever since Bruce has been struggling with injury/form Tyndale has been struggling to score.

Round 1: Bruce-10ast Tyndale-16pts
2: Bruce-8ast Tyndale-30pts
4: Bruce-3ast Tyndale-9pts
5: Bruce-0ast Tyndale-18pts
6: Bruce-1ast Tyndale-10pts

Obviously it is not ideal having an import who relies so heavily on others but maybe we will see his productivity increase once Brucie returns to form.

If not... Isaac, what's Josh Pace up to these days?

Reply #209092 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Dont think I thought Boti was wrong I applaud him for doing it and good to see him writing some good articles again and leaving the comedy for comedians.
Hope he looks with some insight in his around the NBL this week on what is a really tight NBL.
With Tyndale the key issue is not only the points he is not getting. He has no defence and he doesnt know what to do but wave the ball around confusing only himself and his team mates. what good imports do in a new team create space drop the shot or pass off or drive hard at the basket. A 6ft 3 guard -fwd has to be able to shoot at the least a open shot.
Forget Hodge moved on time for us to move on and we cant afford to pay out a plyr and pay big money for another. Good point xstatic where is Josh Pace as he was able to put up big points in a similar Comp. I was hoping he might have been our import this year

Reply #209096 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'd guess the "asking price", may be what he's been offered *** coughs *** elsewhere. Negotiations go through managers, & they play interested teams again each other, to max their own cut.

The other thing is as Isaac mentioned, imports negotiate in $US, which at this moment, kills our $AU.

I have to say, I saw what appeared to be disinterest from Tinnie, but there may be issues that we aren't privvy to, nor should be.

As for our draw, Perth would've snapped it up in heartbeat, given a chance. No excuses there.

Isaac makes another valid point with Mike's injury status last season, in that there was no set date for his full recovery, making it difficult to act on a replacement. Anyway, I know where I'd be pointing the finger for the embarrassing situation, but most of you guys've got your minds set on the scapegoat. Happy to discuss, outside of any forum.

Reply #209098 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#209090 I ruled out Europe because he said he did not want to play in Europe. The way I look at it is he failed in the NBA, he won't go to Europe, he won't accept less than $800K here, so what's left?

Reply #209102 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

umm it's called D-League.

Reply #209106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the money is in Europe, he'll play there I'm sure.

Isaac, how much is unemployment benefit in USA?
Who cares? His worst case, if healthy, is D-League or CBA. In between, he can play in countless international leagues including Australia (if he accepts less money but wants a reasonable lifestyle), China (if he wants money and isn't scared of trying to talk to Chinese people), the Middle East, fringe Euro leagues, main Euro league, etc.

No idea what Pace is up to, but I think he was interested in coming over last season if the opportunity was there. Bit of a risk though going from one player to another similar (undersized, lacks range?) player.

Reply #209129 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I still think a Bruce, Tyndale, Holmes, Ballinger and Luke starting 5 could match it with anyone WHEN FULLY FIT.

The only prob would be teams collapsing into the paint due to our lack of outside threats.

The upside is that we look to have good size at the defensive end along with a good rebounding outfit.

The half court offence would have some good options with a Bruce Ballinger pick n pop and obviously Luke is starting to assert himself on that end also.

The main issue is that our best player has a bad back which will always limit our chances of becoming an elite team.

Reply #209157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listening to the Scott Ninnis interview, my take was the 800K amount related to the size of offers he was receiving and not necessarily how much he was demanding. Scott mentioned that we couldn't match offers like that unless (as mentioned above).

Reply #209432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754