Poor form
Years ago

B Nagy article on Officiating (Advertiser)

My question to everyone who was at the game is as follows:

Is Boti being too critical particuarly of a Rookie Ref?

Is this a typical way for Boti to blame the umpiring for the 36ers poor form?

He mentioned a call 4 minutes in to the game being wrong!!!

These days the league call less anyway so maybe it is time the 36ers adjust like South Dragons obviously do

Topic #17813 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

That call was very very wrong.

Phil Haines had it as a charge and let the rookie over rule him.

Paora had great position and was set well in advance, got hit in the middle of the chest and still got called for a block.

Reply #208994 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

+1 to kent, but senior umpire should have over ruled the rookie and not leave the rookie to the wolves (posters)

Reply #208997 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

It was a bad game refereeing all round, and the call 4 mins in set the tone for the night.

Being too critical - yeah probably a bit critical on a rookie, but he didn't say anything wrong (for a change)

Blaming the refs for the loss - you obviously missed the other article, he wasnt blaming the refs for the way the 36ers play

Reply #208998 | Report this post

So Far  
Years ago

Umpiring so far this season has been quite good imo

Boti does obiously not agree and he has the pen and paper so to speak

Reply #209005 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Boti is on fire the last couple of days! Well written and opinionated stuff

Reply #209006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im assuming the rookie ref your reffering to is Ben Mcdonald? Other then the one call that everyone is talking about, how did he do?

Reply #209007 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

Maybe Boti telling the truth might be a good wake up that while you can be a top ref in SA district and treated like a god, there is still work for everyone to do. Nice hint to pull your head in as that is the only way to improve.

Reply #209011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He singled out a few calls - Winitana getting knocked down, a shot-clock violation that was missed and a lack of call against Henry for delay of game when he slammed his water bottle into the ground - and I agree with his verdict on each of those.

Fans on OzHoops representing other teams have been critical of the refs too. The Breakers, I think I read on there, got sick of their local referees and were looking at flying in Australian refs to do their games.

Reply #209016 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

There were some crap decisions on the weekend and it wasn't enough to blame the 36ers for there loss.

However the points that Boti has pointed out, I agree with.

Winitana was clearly set to take the charge and it should have been the call.

I'm still gob smacked @ how the thrown water bottle didn't cause 'delay of game' from the ref.

Reply #209041 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I only saw the bottle roll onto the floor. I didn't see it being slammed. If that was the case, nothing short of a Tech would have been appropriate. The no call was disgusting. Yes its true the 36ers played badly and are to blame for their loss, but accurate calling by the refs is a must and cannot be allowed to compromise the game.

Reply #209055 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Definitely was a charge but I thought the game wasn't umpired badly. They missed a few calls but in the context of the game they weren't of huge impact. The charge call stood out because it was early in the game and all spectators were involved in the game at that point.
I also noticed one play that it took the sixers about 9 seconds to bring the ball up but nothing was called.

Reply #209065 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Agreed panther. Their performance had no bearing on the result and I have seen far worse that that display. If the sixers had made the same number of mistakes, then they would have won!

Reply #209072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, was that the one where Bruce was bringing up the ball and crossed half-way opposite the scorebench (in front of the Flourentzou boys)? Clock appeared to get to 15 to me and I thought we were lucky to escape.

Reply #209131 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Connor Henry definitely threw the water bottle in frustration (at a clear foul on Schench mind you). However, the refs were watching the game and missed Henry's outburst. Should have got a delay of game warning, and if they had seen it, a bench tech.

The charge was a charge, no doubt. Bad call. Should have been overruled.

I also thought it was a shot clock violation, but it was close. Lucky it wasn't a last second game winner (I am looking at you Dusty).

However, I agree that these calls, whilst bad, in the circumstances of the game were mainly irrelevant. I have seen much worse officiating before.

Reply #209174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754