Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ERS snare Tigers in Adelaide

In the absence of injured Brett Maher today at the Dome, Willie Farley led a near-motley crew to victory over the league's deepest team, the Melbourne Tigers, prevailing 121 - 107.

It was a game with a bit of everything -- the team scoring machine Farley finally notching his 40-point game for the season, the consistent blue-collar import Dusty Rychart picking up a quiet double-double, the huge debut performance from third-gamer Brad Hill, and future forces Jacob Holmes and Oscar Forman bolstering the Adelaide scoreline.

The Melbourne Tigers threw their full spread at Adelaide as they have in every previous meeting with six visiting players scoring in double figures, and three Tigers passing 10 boards on the way.

And with the Sixers ravaged by injury, the home crowd knew that it would take an exceptional combination of individual and team performances to overcome the fast-rising Melbourne team.

Coach Phil Smyth would have surprised most in attendance with his early injection of young rookie Brad Hill and, even more so, development player Todd Gower. Melbourne were up by 10 points and had secured a strong start to the game. Both players responded comfortably, Hill with an exciting 17 points at 67% in under 25 minutes, looking every bit the player needed for the 36ERS future. Gower played a largely defensive role in his 11 minutes on court, picking up scrappy rebounds, snatching a vital steal and hitting his only shot for the game.

The switch in line-up was enough to energise the rest of the team and even though the Tigers took the quarter 25-31, the situation reversed in the second period.

After the short break, Farley continued the efforts that would see him finish with 41 points (17 of 36, 47%), 9 rebounds and 7 assists, scoring 8 points in the quarter, and was joined by Holmes (8 points) and Hill (8 points). It was a Farley two point basket that first gave the lead to Adelaide at 46-45.

The 36ERS did not let up after the main break either, Farley and Forman scoring 8 each for the quarter as part of superb team basketball before the Tigers ran rampant for a 0-10 scare. With Adelaide leading by only a couple of points, Farley hit a long two before Hill slammed a dunk home and then picked up an And One for 15 personal points and a cap to a 7-0 home run.

The final quarter flew with Farley featuring. His 14 points in the term included a huge throw down from a Rychart alley-oop pass, another dunk, and three three point baskets, including one in the face of Mark Bradtke.

There was a lot to like about the result -- Adelaide knocking off a quality team without Maher, Hill shining in his home debut, and Holmes having his best game for many weeks (17 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists; included selective drives to the basket and 7 of 8 from the charity stripe).

The win strengthens Adelaide's third position on the Philips Championship ladder and puts the 36ERS one win behind the Hawks and Kings. Adelaide will again be tested when the leading Hawks visit the Dome this Saturday evening.

36ERS 121: Farley 41, Rychart 22, Holmes 17, Hill 17, Forman 15
Tigers 107: Gaze 22, Thomas 18, Hoare 12, Stiff 12, Copeland 12, Corletto 10

FG: 47% - 45%
3P: 39% - 32%

Rebounds: 45-57 (Holmes 12, Rychart 10, Farley 9)
Assists: 25-25 (Farley 7, Holmes 7)
Turnovers: 7-17

Boxscore

Topic #1783 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

General thoughts on the game:

Farley took an absolutely huge number of shots, shouldering Maher's load on top of his own. Can anyone with an NBL Media Guide tell me what the records are for most shot attempts? Did he make the top ten for Adelaide?

He went through patches of missing a few, but finished very well. I think I've predicted him getting 40 for the last three games and he got it done. Put in the effort for tough boards against Melbourne's towers (Stiff, Mottram, Bradtke, Hoare) and was rewarded to finish with 9. Had some great assists.

Rychart was used sparingly early but still got 22 and 10 -- amazing.

Holmes -- the boxscore says 5 of 18 (28%) but the trademark silly shot attempts were rare and he was generally very selective with his opportunities. Gives up height under the basket to a team like Melbourne and got hammered, but drew fouls and converted from the free throw line (7 of 8). Has coped playing PG well before, but seemed to do better in this game. 7 assists and 12 boards -- very rounded performance.

Hill -- it's easier to forget Newley when you see a young kid play a game like this for your team! 19 years old. Confident, able (6 of 9 from the field, 4 of 6 FT), very agile with a good handle (great crossover in the second half), etc. Hopefully he's signed for 2005/06 ASAP. His dunk was very carefully executed but he handled the nerves very well.

Forman -- not much luck on the boards (same with Rees), but hit his shots outside (3 of 6) and inside the arc (3 of 3).

Cooper and Rees -- played their role frustrating opponents. Bradtke only had 8 points at 30% and he is normally our biggest problem in Adelaide vs Melbourne games.

Gower -- cops a lot of crap on here, but you don't notice the lack of left hand if he doesn't dribble! ;) I think he's a valuable ABL player as an aggressive defender who can pick up steals. This was his first real opportunity that I've seen in the NBL and even though it wasn't a "give him a contract!" performance, he certainly didn't embarrass himself. Nailed the one shot he took. Harassed his opponent at every opportunity and even when he ended up on the ground surrounded by Tigers, he still managed to get the ball to a teammate (great assist to Oscar for the three in the third quarter).

Smyth experimented with the line-up a lot today (Cooper and Rees on court together a few times, Gower coming on early to replace Rychart who has been at the top of his game recently, etc).

Of the two games this round, I thought we'd get destroyed by the Tigers unless everything fell our way, but manage to knock off the Hawks. After today, if Rychart pulls up OK and Maher comes back, I think the Hawks are in trouble.

Reply #20256 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I might be wrong, but I think the previous highest number of shots taken by a player was 35 by Reg Biddings? I haven't got the stats handy.

He shot a lot, but man he was great today. 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 41 points and 36 shot attempts...proof he was everywhere and everything for the Sixers.

Can we please keep Hill?! Man, was he impressive. He had great stats, but what impressed me was when ever he got his hands on the ball he was off like a rocket to push the offense in the open court. In the half court he was always aggresive and looking to create something and made very smart descions out there. How old is this kid???

Here's hopeing he is the real deal, because he certainly looked like it tonight.

Reply #20263 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

told you the tigers were peaking too early - it's all timing

go you 36ers - bad ass !

Reply #20264 | Report this post

britney spears  
Years ago

brad hill is not 19 hes 18

Reply #20266 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

This from the NBL Media Guide;

Record for Field Goal Attempts
36 Willie Farley 26/01/05 vs Tigers
34 Wayne McDaniel 04/06/83
33 Mark Davis 04/05/90
32 Willie Farley 08/12/01
31 David Winslow 26/03/83
31 Wayne McDaniel 27/05/83
31 David Winslow 29/05/83
31 David Winslow 18/06/83
31 Al Green 20/07/85

Reply #20268 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I was sure I read somewhere that Biddings had 35. Ah well, I'm sure the NBL is more reliable than my memory.

Reply #20273 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jasmine: Biddings holds the NBL record with 50 I think.

Reply #20284 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Correct Isaac

Reply #20285 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Can anyone else say 'I told you so' ? :D lol

Reply #20292 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

How many shots did Al Green take when he dropped 72 for West?

Reply #20306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did people think of Stiff's last quarter? It was like when he was playing with Adelaide. Blocked shots, Offensive Boards, Short Jumpers. One of the blocks he had on Willie against the backboard was awesome.

Reply #20329 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Isaac...that must be what I am getting confused with. Cheers.

Reply #20330 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

NBL Individual Records
Field Attempts

50 Red Biddings 12/04/81 - playing for Forrestville
48 Benny Lewis 19/05/84 - Coburg
45 Al Green 19/05/84 - West Adelaide

Al Green's 71 points was on the 25/05/84 shooting 25/41 for West Adelaide.

Reply #20363 | Report this post

Reality Bites  
Years ago

Yeh I thought Stiffy's last quarter was like a trip down memory lane.

No offence to all the other great players, but he was the Sixer I most of all enjoyed watching play.

I miss his play in Adelaide

Reply #20388 | Report this post

Reality Bites  
Years ago

Who remembers when the NBL went to the 48 minute/4 quarter format?

Reply #20390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

RB - Stiff has another year to come with Melbourne on his contract and from what I hear is quite enjoying being there.

His last quarter was very good, but he's generally quite foul prone.

I like Cooper with Adelaide, if only because he's not scared to dribble the ball out of a tangle or go for the two handed dunk inside.

Reply #20394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Completely forgot until yesterday -- how funny was Farley vs Corletto? Did everyone see that look Willie gave him? Absolutely classic -- summed up in that one glare was "I just dribbled around a bit and knocked a three in your face and you couldn't do anything about it. Todd Gower got 4 rebounds and we're going to win this game."

Nice.

Reply #20439 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

Hello,

I am a historic sports researcher looking into records around the world for single game high score basketball players. See list here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/basketball/WomenPioneers.htm

Today I discovered Tricia Bader 67 points for Latrobe Demons (NWBU) in 1997, and Al Green 71 points (NBL) 5/25/1984

Does anyone have details on these or any other such games for any league or person, any level including grade school.

For the men, ideally, I list the records' progression (The person Al Green surpassed, the one that person bettered, etc.), as well as anybody scoring over 90 in a game ever. for the female basketball players I list everyone I find who scored 49 or more points in one game.....

If anyone has additions to the list, or extra details about the games in question, that would be very appreciated.
(You will also note in my "Field Goals of 60 yards or better" that I have some Australian football entries, any additions there also will be accepted eagerly)
Thank you,
Paul Luchter
Amazing Sports Lists
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/amazingsportslists.htm

Reply #32494 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

I must addend my last message, since I forgot to include the URL for the mens list:
http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/basketball/100pts.htm

Reply #32495 | Report this post

Paul Luchter  
Years ago

I am trying to research the single-game high scoring records for Australian basketball.

I see Al Green 71 poiints...can you give me more details of this game and what the record was that he broke, if it were a record. If not what is the record?

Thank you,
Paul Luchter
The mens' list: http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/basketball/100pts.htm The womens' list: http://www.mindspring.com/~luckyshow/basketball/WomenPioneers.htm

Reply #33026 | Report this post

Mott The Hoople  
Years ago

Paul, I remember when I was in high school hearing about a guy called Michael Spratt for Marion High School (now defunct) hitting 100+ points in one game. He was ably assisted by Phil and Dave Smyth.

I think that must have been around 1974, if anyone can help from that team??

Reply #33027 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Ron Nunnelly 85 on debue for the Warriors....i think Kevin Catron(?) has the SEABL record of 87 though....Ron sat for the last 2 minutes of that game too.

Brad Davis once scored of 60 points in high school....on an out door court.

Reply #33028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:55 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754