Isaac
Years ago

Rillie: NZ one of best long-range teams ever?

In an article in the Townsville Bulletin, John Rillie wonders if the NZ Breakers might have assembled one of the best ever long-range shooting outfits?

A good solid chunk of media attention in the NBL this season has centred on whether or not the Melbourne Tigers will become one of the greatest teams of all time.

Well, I've got another point for discussion. I am going to go out on a limb and say that our opponents this week, the New Zealand Breakers, may just have assembled one of the best three-point shooting line-ups of all time and, of course, this is exciting for me.
The article isn't online (I don't think) so I'm working from a PDF copy, but Rillie makes his case listing Bruton (49.0%), Penney (35.7%), Forman (50.9%), Jones (47.5%) and Ronaldson (46.4%).

Wonder how many sides have had four key rotation players hitting at 46%+ and a fifth averaging over 28 PPG?

I'm sure there have been some exceptional three-point teams in the past to top or at least rival these numbers, so list away.

Topic #17837 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

How about Adelaide's first championship team had some really good 3 point shooters and I would probably suggest that they had more better shooters.

Sapwell 46%
Brooks 44%
Cattalini 44%
Maher 39%
Mee 33%
Ninnis 31%
Rillie 27% (He was still young not a good year by him)

Reply #209318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth adding that NZ as a team are connecting from outside at 44.6% for top in the league. Second spot goes to the Hawks, almost 8% behind at 36.8%! Surely that sort of margin can't last for an entire season?

Breakers are also top for FT% and FG% as well as assists (lowest in TOs too which would give them a handy APT advantage), but second worst on the boards and long-last in blocks. They're also the most-fouling team which will get them into trouble a few more times before the season is done I bet.

Reply #209319 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

I checked ou the 86 sixers stats as with the guns they had then they had to e hitting at a good %

and they were

Al Green 39%
Darryl Pearce 39%
Mike McKay 45%
Scott Ninnis 100%
David Spear 50%
Ray Wood 38%

So on average the guards hit 51% collectively. I love how you can you stats anyway you choose to make an argument.

I wont go into the 92 team because clearly the stats arent quite right.

Davis 69%
Hays 77%
McKay 80%
Maher 75%
Dennard 64%
Rogers 50%
Bradtke 69%
Kubank 82%
Corkeron 100% even wheels got off at 55% that year!

Reply #209320 | Report this post

%%  
Years ago

Was maths your strongest subject??

Al Green 39%
Darryl Pearce 39%
Mike McKay 45%
Scott Ninnis 100%
David Spear 50%
Ray Wood 38%

So on average the guards hit 51% collectively. I love how you can you stats anyway you choose to make an argument.

How many shots did Ninnis take for his 100%???

Reply #209330 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

The way Oscar was shooting on Saturday night Im surprised his season %age isnt higher!

Reply #209340 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Statman:
"The way Oscar was shooting on Saturday night Im surprised his season %age isnt higher!"

Was Heal on him?

Reesy had a few 100% 3 point shooting games & retired a 36er, why bring up one of our rejects? ; )

Reply #209344 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

%% I am pretty happy that 311 / 6 equals 51.8
How are your maths going?

Reply #209353 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Sorry Fitz ,
Simple equations do not always tell the true story . Think you would need to total up all makes and misses from the six to come up with the proper % .

Reply #209364 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

i agree that is why i made mention of how you can use stats in anyway to back up your story.

Reply #209367 | Report this post

Years ago

I think you'll find for that 92 group they've listed the foul shooting %.

Reply #209369 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Issac, a team with an exceptional shooting % will usually look bad on the offensive boards - there aren't many to be had. Likewise, they will have more assists because more first attempt shots are going in rather than miss, rebound, score.

The lack of blocks is because they don't want to srisk their shooting hands down the other end!

Reply #209371 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Apologies Mr Fitz , i should have read the comments within . I take 51% ownership for that f...up.

Reply #209425 | Report this post

nifty  
Years ago

Rillie wouldn't know

Reply #209428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754