Anonymous
Years ago

BSA & SAC - Where to?

When BSA was formed its charter was to be the overriding body for basketball in this state yet on the surface it appears that SAC takes a lot more than it contributes and has scant regard for any centralized basketball body.

Has the process started by BSA been derailed by SAC's apparent disinterest and if so, what ramifications for basketball in this state are there if we don't have a centralized body controlling our sport?

Topic #17840 | Report this topic

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"It appears that SAC takes a lot more than it contributes and has scant regard for any centralized basketball body."

What is the evidence that SAC takes more than it contributes? In which instances has this occurred?
Furthermore, who have you spoken to within SAC that have said that they have scant regard for the new basketball body?

What about SA Church and all of the other Rec Centres that come under the BSA banner? Do they too contribute less than what they take? What is their regard for the centralized basketball body?

Reply #209331 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

SAC, Church and Rec centres all pay no money for the services provided by BSA, other than court hire. It is the junior and social competitions that provide all the wages for BSA.

BSA should deny affiliation to any body that doesn't pay affiliation fee's for all their members. SAC should not be provided stadiums for their tournaments or BA affiliation for Nationals Champs. And all players and referee's who participate in SAC competitions should be baned from the BSA competitions. Also, funding from BSA for development officers in the country reigon should be put back to members that are paying for them through affiliation.

Church should be denied stadium hire on Saturday afternoons, and this time should go towards domestic competitions.

Neither should be allowed to have the insurance that BSA provides, even if it is poor.

Reply #209349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#17840 and #209349 = lame posts by lame people with nothing better to do than to whinge.

Reply #209355 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

How do you suppose BSA opperates when the clubs don't play for 1 term? And BSA goes broke! Again.

Reply #209357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why dont you actually look at the facts instead of the lies that youve written Cow 07. SAC dont actually need any of the BSA stadiums if they blocked there would be many country stadiums that could do the job quite adequately.
Truth is BSA are only interested in getting SAC money and membership of all the country associations. Why would SAC who have a decent financial position get involved with an organisation that bitches, is riduled with politics, as well as broke until recent times and would only truelly have priority for anything with in the metro area. SAC will never join BSA, its affliated members would never allow it.

BSA have made many promises in the past and they have amounted to nothing, ................., but maybe a con.

The biggest mistake Country made was not buying the Dome when it was on the market at a peanuts price.

Now to the initial poster, who probably sits behind a desk in the BSA office. Get some intelligence, stop being a snipe and do some work so the adelaide clubs get some value for their affliated money.

Reply #209358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further more SAC development officers are truely committed and work incrediable hours. They have an on going committment to developing their knowledge on a professional level and werent just hired on a traineeship program.

My prediction is that SAC continue to improve at an expotential rate, and DNSP and HP programs now established will replace SASI for country atheletes.

Then god forbid, our players wont be limited to playing basketball alone. Be given the opportunity to continue with football and netball, and not burnt out and quit as 17 year olds, just because they were forced to play 11 months of the year to keep BSA financial.

Who would want to live in Adelaide?

And guess what? If the player is good enough they will still get to the AIS, be sure of that.

Reply #209362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further more I think Adelaide players are forced to play 11 months of the year just to keep BSA financial. Pity the poor kids who want to play Football or Netball.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO........keep BSA away from us.

Country are getting the mix correct and improving at an amazing rate. Look for DNSP and HP to replace SASI for country atheletes in the near future.

And guess what? If they are good enough they will still get to the AIS. Be sure of that.

But maybe country wont have as many burnt out 17 year olds.

BSA=MONEY SAC=PEOPLE

Reply #209363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 posts saying the exact same thing?

Reply #209366 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

It does appear that the original post comes from someone in the BSA office (sadly).
Having personally spoken to representatives from Country and Church Associations it would appear that the problem actually lies in the BSA Office with unilateral decisions being made without reference to any associations. Committees were implemented but have not been consulted with regards to decisions e.g. State Coaching appointments. Certain people in the front office have a great sense of their own self importance and believe that they actually are running basketball in SA and can make decisions. The GM does not appear to want to stop this problem, or possibly doesn't know how to stop the problem. These same people are closely associated with a particular club/s and are unable to differentiate between what is good for basketball and what they want for their club (?conflict of interests). The problem unfortunately extends to the Board with some, not all, members more interested in being "seen" at events (for free of course) and don't not seem to care that they are supposedly responsible to "basketball" in SA. BSA doesn't really own any stadiums outright and if the other stakeholders were to withdraw (which is a possibility) then where would basketball be in SA. BSA doesn't even have a headquarters, they are tenants in the Dome and if a new owner didn't want them there then where would they go?

Reply #209368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the facts! Was BSA set up to run basketball in this state for EVERYBODY or not?

Reply #209377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #362
Under the present set up, some might suggest you have got more than your fair share into the AIS already.

Reply #209378 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Cow 07 - "Also, funding from BSA for development officers in the country reigon should be put back to members that are paying for them through affiliation."

Did you know that SAC is looking at employing a Referee Development Officer (who will work in the SAC Admin side of things in a shared role)? Did you also know that it was put at the AGM that the Country associations increase registration (or door prices) by $2 in order to pay for this position? Thus, the funding for the development officer for the country region IS put back to members that are paying for them through affiliation!

Cow 07 - "How do you suppose BSA opperates when the clubs don't play for 1 term? And BSA goes broke! Again."

BSA cannot go broke "again" as you claim. BSA would go broke for the first time. It was BASA that went broke. Please note that SAC was a seperate entity from BASA at that point!

Reply #209379 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

To everyone in this thread ... You all are the problem!

Instead of working together to build basketball you all are fighting each other. Get over your petty issues and build the sport, if your not willing to do that then shut up so those that really want to can!

Reply #209392 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Children, play nicely or this will end in tears.

Reply #209394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The posts in question do not appear to have come from the Dome (as far as I can tell).

Reply #209399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok then give us a list of genuine reasons why the two should join. Not just blanket comments like "oversee" the development or administration of all basketball in SA. But clear details.

Answer this? What does little Johny and Mary get that walk in and out of their local stadium after school only in Whyalla, Port Lincoln or Bordertown, and never play in Adelaide.

Reply #209401 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

BA only deals with 1 peak body in this state that is BSA. All BA funding goes to BSA then onto SAC. If BSA wants to they could take all the funding for themselves and yes SAC only can play at the nationals with agreement with BSA. Why would BSA want to take away all this from SAC when there is all these kids from the country playing in there comp? So why would BSA lose money in the process for themselves and the clubs? If you count how many kids play from the country you'll soon realize that the fee's that the BSA clubs would rise and so would entry fees to game just to cover the loss of these people. I know there are agreements for and against but at the end of the day it comes down to $ as BSA and SAC are a business.

So re BSA & SAC where to? question my opinion is Leave it alone nothing broken to fix.

Reply #209405 | Report this post

Years ago

Lick my BSAll SAC...

Reply #209407 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Why would the metro clubs be willing to fund BSA? Which they are doing now. Same argument SAC and Church are using.

If SAC don't affiliate, none of their players would be eligible to go to the AIS unless they move to a metro club that is affiliated. At this point in time they would not be allowed to play for their country teams.

The country DNSP and HP would not have BA accreditation and players participating would be ineligible for Nationals, AIS and Australian junior teams as they would be playing in a non-affiliated competition.

Reply #209420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cow 07 you have absolutely no idea what you are writing about do you.

Reply #209421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cow let it go.

When SAC have no $$ for their two development officers and their travel costs and they raise prices to cover the cost of their own insurance cover and send their elite teams to country cup and not national championships maybe then they'll understand.

The freebies are about to end SAC its time to pay your way.

Reply #209423 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

starting to fight amongst ourselves now are we ?

Reply #209427 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

#9423, just a point SAC wouldn't be able to enter country cup as that is also a BA event just like the nationals.

Reply #209430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Victorian, we still hate you!

Reply #209435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

???? I think you will find that Country Cup is not a BA event. Understand that SAC pay the majority share of the BA levy for this state.

Along with cow, it would be advisable to do a little research prior to posting.
BSA or BASA mark 2 offer nothing that SAC isnt doing better already.

Reply #209436 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Again, who then pays for BSA? Who pays for the person to organise the grants? Who pays for the person to manage the facility that SAC run their country carnivals at? Who pays for

BSA provide affiliation with BA, and therefore admittance to Nationals. Country Cup is a BA affiliated competition, without being affiliated, all SAC members will be ineligable. Referee's and coaches as well.

Agree that for 90% of SAC affiliation is useless, but that is the same for 90% of Metro club members. The clubs would make more money running the Div 2 and below competition, which is exactly what will happen. Clus will pull out of the BSA comp, sending them broke, hire the stadiums, not pay affiliation fee's for those players who are not in Div 1.

Reply #209442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cow, you really have no idea. Continue to stick your head in the sand.

Tell me,because you know all, how does Vic Country operate (independently & very well) within the Basketball Victoria system?

Remember that Basketball Victoria ia also the peak body for the state.

Reply #209451 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Yes, but they don't get funding from Basketball Victoria, and they don't have members on the Basketball Victoria governance council. They don't use Basketball Victoria stadiums for their country carnivals, and they don't have Basketball Victoria ref's at their tournaments.

Again not saying that for 90% of country playes BSA do anything, but $90K+ in funding for development officers comes from BSA. And if country don't affiliate, you can bet that they will not get that money nor use of the stadiums, insurance nor referee's.

Reply #209477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cow, again you are wrong, SAC's funding for its development staff comes from the ORS, not directly from BSA. this is the common misconception.

The metro referees that attend country tournaments are paid for there services, this is an external area away from BSA. I think you will also find there are plenty of non BSA run facilities in the greater metropolitan area.

Keep going, you are only making yourself look more stupid. Facts, facts, facts I no that's optional on this forum.

Maybe its time for Country to look at a junior version of the old CBL. See how much that impacts on the standard of the metro competition.

Reply #209487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please , Please , Please #487 look at a junior version of the CBL because the impact will only be on you and your constituents not anyone else.
Simply, SAC need to realize they are under the umbrella of BSA which has a charter to work for all South Australians playing basketball and the intransigence of SAC will be to its detriment and all the players it represents.
Accept that things have changed and work with not against the peak body.

Reply #209496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#209487 the ORS $$ goes to BSA and it was BSA's decision to fund SAC's development people using this money.

IF SAC aren't affiliated then BSA will spend the ORS money elsewhere.

So in a way your right, but I think the point Cow is making is Country won't get the funds, as it comes through BSA.

Reply #209497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems the SAC people on this forum play the man a lot! Why can't you just answer questions without personally attacking people so us "neutral/uniformed" types can learn something?

Reply #209498 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I infact asked some questions in my original post, to seek clarification, and these were not answered.

In any posts that I have made (in relation to this thread), I have simply stated some facts that other people were not aware of, as then it becomes public knowledge and it may answer some of the questions put forward on this forum. I hope the answers and responses that I have given have in fact passed on some knowledge to those parties who are either nuetral and/or uniformed.

Reply #209506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt,

Just remember that everyone claims to have facts. Only those people in the meetings know exactly what is being agreed to and exactly what the real facts are.

Not saying your points are incorrect as I wouldn't know but there have been some very different "facts" posted on this site and just because someone in power or in the know tells you something that doesn't necessarily make it fact.

Reply #209508 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Fair point. Thanks!

Reply #209510 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Thank you #209497,

My point exactly, the State Government used the bail out to organise a structure that they thought was best for ALL basketball in SA, rightly or wrongly. SA country and Church are unwilling to pay an affiliation fee to assist in the running costs of the association. Not saying I disagree or agree.

Mr Ryan

My point is the if SAC and Church think the ORC (a governament department) and BA ( who signed off on the agreement) are going to allow BSA to go broke, and still allow them to recieve the benefits of the organisation, (ie court hire, development officer money, participation in National Champs etc) then they are crazy!!

Reply #209532 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Cow 07 - "My point is the if SAC and Church think the ORC...and BA...are going to allow BSA to go broke, and still allow them to recieve the benefits of the organisation,...then they are crazy!!"

(Sorry to paraphrase, just took out all of the brackets)

I understand that if BSA goes broke, then SAC and Church go broke too. I also understand that if there is no money, then there would be no fascilities.

Never once have I stated anything contrary to the above.
In my posts, I have merely sought clarification or provided some information.

Furthermore, have you personally spoken to people from SA Country Basketball (actually front office and admin people) to find out whether they actually, as you state, "are unwilling to pay an affiliation fee to assist in the running costs of the association"?

Reply #209555 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Have you asked them if they are?

Reply #209565 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

I understand that if BSA goes broke, then SAC and Church go broke too.
Don't think that's right Matt.

SAC is funded by it's members, the junior and senior country players at Peterbrough, Millicent, Port Pirie and KI.

Reply #209566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter and Basketball SA is funded by the District Basketball Competition, but both will go broke without the right structure and without the government funding.

Reply #209575 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

Mr Ryan,

Peter is correct. If BSA goes broke, then members of the council, (note: not the commission) are personally responsible for any and all debts. The council is made up of 3 country 2 church and 3 district representatives.

The reason for the current structure is that when BASA went broke the presidents of the clubs were told to re-write the new constituation to give country and church a share of the BSA governance. If not, (and they didn't agree initially) they were told that they would be personally financiallly responsible for the then debt. As the clubs were the shareholder of BASA. For their agreement in the new governance, they government would write-off the debt.

I doubt the current group will get of a lightly if the group they represent choose not to pay affiliation!

Reply #209608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cow, give up. You must be female, as you don't listen & extremely opinionated on something you no very little about.

Reply #209615 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Does anyone like BSA?

Reply #209616 | Report this post

Cow 07  
Years ago

anon #209615,

I at least KNOW how to spell, have correct grammer and I am not a sexist!

Please explain what the current situation is then, if you are wise to all the facts.

Reply #209653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muphry's Law (a play on the saying "Murphy's Law" - not a spelling mistake or a typographical error) is an adage that states that "if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".

Cow 07, I wouldn't be criticizing someone about their spelling and/or GRAMMAR when there is a high probability that there may be, to paraphrase "Muphry's Law", "a fault of some kind in what you have written".

Reply #209660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, it appears the SAC people prefer to play the man.... and use sexist comments to boot. What Cow says appears to make sense and his comments are well put - much more credence to a neutral than belittling and denials with no corrections.

Reply #209667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Reading this blog makes my head hurt.

Did anyone seriously think that these three groups (BSA, Church, Country) would ever seriously join up?

Everyone *sigh* and say - well of course not.

They're all too self important with their own identities to want to be joined in anyway.

Besides, change is a dirty word.

Now everyone can get along with life as usual, nothing new will ever happen and we are doomed to make our old mistakes over and over again.

But remember - it's always someone else's fault!! My club/association was and always is right...

I might go get involved in soccer, at least our A-League team is doing well ;) lol

Reply #209674 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

209667 - please don't piegon hole a (few?) anonymous poster/s into "SAC people".

Take a spoonful of your own medicine and play the ball, not the man.

Reply #209677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754