KingJames
Years ago

Hawks vs Taipans

Tonight's game which will be shown on foxtel should be a good game. So far the odds on the game are Hawks @ $1.65 for the win with Taipans @ $2.20 for the win.

Hawks currently have a 4-1 record at home and there seems to be some perceived knowledge that the Hawks are hard to beat at home as shown by their current home record and thats why they are favourites to win this game. However, if you look at who they have played at home it doesn't seem that impressive:

Hawks 98 def. Blaze 96 (Last)
Hawks 105 def. 36ers 95 (Second to last)
Hawks 85 def. Wildcats 82 (6th.. after playing so many road games)
Hawks 95 def by. Dragons 114 (First)
Hawks 111 def. Spirit 99 (7th however spirit shot 20 more shots then them so looks like they shot them selves in the foot)

Cairns are currently 4th and Hawks are yet to beat a team that high. Also Cairns aren't bad on the road having beaten NZ and Blaze in the first game of the season when they would have still had confidence. Their away record is below:

Blaze 75 def by. Taipans 85 (Last)
Crocodiles 100 def. Taipans 96 (5th... Taipans lead by 18 at half time.. outscored in the last 13 to 30)
Breakers 111 def by. Taipans 122 (Second)
Dragons 94 def. Taipans 65 (First)

Obviously Taipans got slaughtered last week but that should make them extra motivated this week. On the other hand the Hawks did lose to Sydney by 12, so they will be looking to bounce back with a win.

If you look at the two teams you will see Cairns have a much better team.

Taipans Starters: Crosswhite, Abney, Thomas, Mee, Cook
Hawks Starters: Tragardh, Rychart, Saville, Campbell, Franklin

Taipans Bench: Cattalini, Grabau, Boodnikoff, Williams, Vale
Hawks Bench: Tait, Davidson, Petrie, Jackson, Martin

I think Taipans will win it with their defence. Saville will be guarded by Thomas, Cattalini. Franklin will be guarded by Mee, Grabau. Rychart to be guarded by Abney. On the other hand, the Hawks Coach Cook has got the Hawks playing good team ball and they have about 6 players averaging double figures so they aren't short of scorers. Cairns have Stephen Black out who was their leading scorer and they struggled to score against the Dragons (however they are currently first). Perhaps Taipans might lose as they don't have enough consistent scorers with Black out? Also Taipans are the worst in the league at Assist whilst hawks are the second best team in the league in assist.

What are other peoples thoughts on the game?? Who do you think will win?

Topic #17842 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for this preview KJ - nice work. I actually think the Hawks will sneak away with this one. Cairns might have got wins on the road, but they came against the woeful Blaze and via putting 122 points (thanks to 50 free throws) over the Breakers.

Recently, they were embarrassed by the Dragons and I think the Hawks have the potential to cause them trouble too if they give them the chance.

They're not odds I would go for though.

Game total is set at 192.0 - probably about right, if perhaps a touch high? Both of these teams are in the bottom four for scoring output.

While at Centrebet, I noticed that they've slipped Adelaide to second bottom at $46! Tigers have shortened to $2.15 and the Dragons to $3.75.

Reply #209341 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

$46 for an Adelaide revival has to worth a punt surely!

Reply #209348 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The 36ers players should have a good bet on themselves at $46. The prospect of winning big money would have to be the incentive they need to win their games.

Reply #209448 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes $46 is worth a bit of a punt.
Are the players allowed to bet ?

Reply #209453 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't think players are allowed to bet

Reply #209457 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Any merit in the club arranging to put say a thousand on it?

Reply #209585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the club that got brett maher a framed thing for his 500th game? you thnk they got 1000$?

Reply #209594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754