Isaac
Years ago

Spirit to Kings deal has no chance

The owner of Sydney's struggling National Basketball League team is trying to conjure up a deal to save the Spirit by turning them into the Sydney Kings for next season.

Spirit owner Greg Evans told The Daily Telegraph that he had informal discussions last week with the City of Sydney Basketball Association, which owns the Sydney Kings brand name.

However, association president Andrew Lazaris, who is already taking steps towards forming a consortium to resurrect the Kings for the new competition that is expected to replace the failed NBL next year, indicated that any deal with the Spirit didn't stand a ghost of a chance.
Full article: Ghost house Spirit turn to the Kings

The Spirit owner goes on to suggest rumours that the Kings will return next year have made it hard for his club to attract corporate support. Maybe crappy renaming efforts didn't help either?

I think it'll be 'one and done' for the Spirit.

Topic #17872 | Report this topic

ExWhy  
Years ago

that alone makes the NBL look like a local comp.
Where in the world can you just change name and then not be there the next year.

Reply #209655 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Yeah agreed to an extent ExWhy, but the whole reason the league is revamping is to stops this amateur stuff for the long run. Im all for a one and done deal, just this once more if it means a stronger more exciting competition next season!

Reply #209658 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Maybe they would help themsleves if they did not have their own email listed as

[email protected] in the NBL Media Guide

Reply #209662 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

Agreed, Team owners are going to be the only thing that can get the league to work...
I will feel a heap better once i see a blueprint for the NewBL

Reply #209663 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

NBL has not realy failed its just been deserted, because its model was being pushed to financial ruin by the powers at be.

Reply #209670 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"Spirit owner Greg Evans told The Daily Telegraph..."

Holy crap !! A team disappearing after a short time in the spotlight, being owned by someone named Greg Evans !! Sounds like a "Perfect Match" !!

Reply #209671 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

God this is all just so depressing being a basketball fan in this country.
We were looking forward to the changes the new league would bring to fix problems and now instead it looks as though we'll have little more than more of the same cowboys and indians running around.
With those rumours that there will be a breakaway league next season which will be run by more cowboys and is highly unlikely to last the distance, I'm starting to wonder if there is much hope at all left for the sport in this country.
What a blatant waste of review money.

Reply #209673 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

This might come across as a bit oblique, but I reckon that the Spirit & the Kings locking heads this season, may come back & bite them both.
There's the mindset that the Spirit aren't the 'Backs, & that they have very little appeal to a Kings fan. Neither go.
FFS, dismal attendances means heavy revenue losses, which puts a clamp on spending, which exacerbates the problem (nothing for promotion), & that ultimately puts off potential sponsors.
There are a handful of Kings supporters that go to Spirit games, & I have utmost respect for each & evry one of 'em. But, if the rest of 'em want to help their chances next season, they should rock up in numbers, decked out in their Kings paraphenalia & be a visible presence. Trouble being, with all their local petty rivalries, it ain't gonna happen.
BTW, wouldn't you love to be the silent Spirit financer for this season?

Reply #209676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not to mention that the Spirit turned down the Kings merger talks and also voted against granting the Kings an extension to help them stay in the league. Don't blame the Kings fans for not liking that one bit.

Reply #209681 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I did sat it was a 2 way screw up, didn't I?

Reply #209687 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

IMO the only way this can get kick started is with federal funding ala a league!
get some good grounding then move on from there....promotion was one of the biggest things that was recognised as being piss weak, we have that in our own state, it has to start somewhere, why not start with our state and start promoting the game greatly.

as for the kings, they were crap until gorj jumped in...and he's gone now too so it wont matter, they will be back to where they were this time last decade!

Reply #209692 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

ExWhy:
"IMO the only way this can get kick started is with federal funding"
Labor, delivering, birth of the newNBL, let's starting puss-hing. Foooooh .... Foooooh .... Foooooh, pushing. .... Foooooh .... Foooooh

Reply #209698 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

wont start on this forum, but the Fed minister for sport should be feeling tha love!

Reply #209700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Minister for Sport is actually a client of mine.

Reply #209702 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

That explains it. ; )

Reply #209710 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Them becoming the Kings would f.ck things up even more. Thats like the crows folding and then port trying become the crows to capture their crowd. Not gonna happen...

Reply #209739 | Report this post

Boxing Out  
Years ago

The Spirit is lost . Do they still pay the players ?

Reply #209741 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

SO let me get this straight, Lazaris is trying to raise the Kings from the dead? Talk about your role reversals.

Reply #209756 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

gold billo

hallelujah...the kings are risen

Reply #209795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754