Quagmire
Years ago

What to do with Marbury?

I'm still sitting on the fence a bit with this one.

Sometimes i think- here is a player with no history of winning, just a history of wrecking teams. Every team he leaves, improves.

Then i may think, here is a player with the ball control and finishing ability to run coach D's system.
I know he is a ball hog but looking at his career, he actually has better than average assist numbers...

GM Walsh is going to talk to Coach D about Marbury's future, coach having being put on the record as saying he wouldn't play Stephon, even being visibly ticked when garden fans cheered for Steph to get some burn in a recent game.

What does the forum think?
Pay Steph over 20 mil to get splinters on the pine, or pay him to just GO AWAY.... or let him loose?

Topic #17909 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Let him loose!

Little Nate isn't ready to be a starting PG just yet.

I actually don't think they've got THAT bad a lineup when you throw Steph in there.

Still not sure about the Randolph-Curry combo though.

Reply #210015 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

If they could work out a deal to buy out his contract i think it would be good for all concerned. No point in having him on your list if your not going to use him. Although he has stated that he wants his whole $21 mil if they want to waive him. So I think the knicks mentality may be, if you arn't going to be reasonable you wont get any burn, and rather than playing against us, you wont play at all.

If I were the knicks, I'd probably do the same thing unless he was willing to negotiate. No idea why they played him in the pre-season if they were gonna do this tho...

Reply #210017 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

He and curry both need to go and maybe randolph but dont worry Donnie Walsh is a briliant GM and is playing his cards close to his chest.

Reply #210019 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I'm not 100% sure what went on in Knicks in the last few years but I never like Isiah Thomas, the man's full of politics; Larry Brown and Marbury...oil and water simply don't mix (same with Philly)

Personally I've always been a fan of Knicks I just don't understand why he's blamed for everything like this...But can't deny he does have some ego problems though

Reply #210032 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Sorry meant Sthephon, not "Knicks" (y

Reply #210033 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Sorry meant Sthephon, not "Knicks"

Reply #210034 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

chris duhon a better point guard that starbury hell no

starbury is one of rucker parks finest and eddie curry is the bomb hes a bit out of shape but he dont need to be warming benches

coach d is on crack he had jalen rose on his roster a whole season didnt give him any minutes

stuck to an 8 man rotation in phoenix

if i was the knicks i woulda hired lil avery johnson

danilio gallanari with the 8th pik???

are you kidding me???

Reply #210045 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

marbury probably got minutes in pre season so that they could see where his head was at, and when they realised he was still a dick they put him right back on the bench come start of season... no one will trade for him unless they can get rid of some of their own over paid rubbish... if comes down to it may as well let him go to another team for some half decent player/s who will get some burn... nate can go too... randolph and curry should be able to kill everyone, but curry needs to get in shape and randolph needs a little reality check so that they can become the best 4/5 combo in league... allan houston is probably the best addition this season seeing that he will get some of their heads out of their asses hopefully

Reply #210064 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Ricey- you just reminded me, if Knicks actually had a decent coach/management a year or so ago, this team really could've been awesome today...

PG-Starbury
SG-Houston
SF-Ariza
PF-Randolph
C-Curry

I mean I know this team is all names (except for Ariza) now but if a good coach was there motivating and keeping the players on the same page, then this could potentially be a real good starting 5.

Reply #210080 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

not really.

I'd say their current (possible) lineup is better:

Starbury
Crawford
Lee/Jeffries?
Randolph
Curry

But both are fairly duddish.

Reply #210082 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how bout they should have kept francis instead of starbury, would have been much better team then... jefferies sucks, how the hell does he get so much hype?

Francis
Crawford
Richardson
Randolph
Curry

That should be a finals starting 5, and with duhon, gallinari on the bench along with a couple other young guys (such as frye if they managed to keep him) they would be trouble on paper. all they need is a veteran player who will command the respect they seem to lack for anyone else

Reply #210102 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Send Stephon to Oklahoma. Maybe playing for the worst team in the league will provide him with a wake-up call.

Trade him for Durant or Green. If Stephon has to worry about being canned by the worst team in the league; he may play better.

Reply #210113 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Steph already plays for the worst team in the league.

At least every other bad team has a young stud to develop. Knicks got zero going for them right now.

Reply #210124 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Trade him or play him. Not worth leaving that much money on the bench.

Reply #210136 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

easy to trade him or play him, but not going to be able to trade him unless there is a team stupid enough to take a risk on him, which won't happen... as for playing him, the team seems to be doing alot better than last year without him on the court so far

Reply #210220 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

More on this...the Knicks have come out and informed the media that:

"We have no plans to do anything with Stephon Marbury, except pay him his $21.9 million salary and give him a great seat to watch all their games."

"Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and team president Donnie Walsh said that they will not waive, buy out or trade Marbury. They also will not let him play in games, unless there is an injury to their top three guards, Chris Duhon, Jamal Crawford or Nate Robinson."

Link: http://linky.com.au/e3jhp

I love the first paragrah - "a great seat to watch all their games!"

Reply #210228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754