Anonymous
Years ago

Ninnis wants more from Ballinger

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago titled "What the Sixers need to do to win" and wrote:

"Sounds simple but my solution would be to keep passing the ball to Ballinger and Schenscher. Let them take 35-40 shots between them each game. You'd think they'd make most of their shots!

Sixers in the past have not made the most of their high percentage shooters (eg. even Horvath was under-used).

Create some plays for our bigs please!"

"Spinner" and "Skink" (not regular posters) disagreed and had negative comments.

To me it was simple maths:

Simple maths really (figures are an example):

1. Ballinger/Schenscher: Would make 30-35 shots outta 40
2. Point guard/Shooting guard: If they were to take 40 shots, would make 18-20 shots outta 40 (45-50%)

Scenario 1 would give us more points

I'm glad Ninnis sees that giving our bigs more ball as a way for the Sixers to improve and hopefully get more wins.

Article titled "Ninnis wants more from Ballinger" on the NBL website:

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=76545

Topic #17925 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

I can't be bothered revisiting the thread but I believe Spinner an Skink (haha they sound good together) were just just critical of the way you acted like you had some genius solution to all our problems and it was simply "give it to the bigs".

There's no doubt Ballinger and Schenscher are both prolific and efficient scorers and should get 30-40 shots between them. That's not all we need though.

Here's the linky for that article:
http://linky.com.au/szszn

Reply #210225 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Yes, because Balls and Schensch are both averaging about 80% from the field this season....

Reply #210227 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Exactly Billo, the best results you can expect from bigs is about 60% and i would not class Ballinger as a big as he does have a decent jump shot.

Luke could be the only one to shoot at a high clip because his toughest shot in his repetoire is a running hook.

Reply #210238 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Marketing sub text:=

OK so even though most of our guards are broken,

We still have the best 5 + 4 combo in the league.

Reply #210250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about best (Anstey and Grizzard perhaps) but comfortably in the top tier.

Reply #210255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bigs shoot such a high percentage because they only take good open shots. If they were tasking 30 shots a game then their percentages would drop because they wouldbe shooting more low percentage shots. Otherwise guards would simply never shoot.

Reply #210256 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Feed the beasts!

Just a thought, so many players practise long range shots with someone rebounding the ball and throwing it back to them... this got me thinking, in a game, the ball is usually swung round the arc to the open shooter who receives the ball from a side angle...

I think shooters receiving the ball from a big guy under the basket more closely resembles the way they practise shooting- and would result in more made treys.

With Balls and Luke we have two players who will demand a double. Lets begin there and take what the D gives us. Which-ever player has the better matchup, feed them and get our gunners ready.

Reply #210260 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Fixed formulas rarely work day in day out. Best to focus on the bigs early if they've got the height advantage, the D has to try to cover them, so 2 of our other scoring avenues are open. I don't know about you guys, but as a spectator, I'd rather see quick ball & player movement, than seeing 2 guys get lob passes every offence. Get everyone involved in scoring, mix it up & the oppo won't a clue who'll be doing the damage next trip. I love that Adam can hit the 3 too. Must be absolute nightmare for oppo coaches.

Reply #210274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754