LC
Years ago

Phoenix's Amazing Shooting Percentages

I was reading somewhere the other day about the Sun's shooting percentages and how good they were.
Over the last 2 seasons they have shot at just over 50% from the field.
And then today they blitz again - at an even far better clip: 63.2% FG & 66.7% 3PT! Bell hit 6/6 from downtown today which is damn impressive.

So we know they can shoot well, but now with some personnel changes and a new coach, can they learn to defend just as well and thus make a run in the finals? Or are they just too old?

Topic #17935 | Report this topic

--  
Years ago

I think Phoenix will be able to maintain these awesome percentages 9 nights out of 10.

They have solid 3 point shooters in Nash, Bell, Barbosa and now Barnes.

They have a quality PG in Nash who has the ability to create wide open shots for everybody (and their rookie Dragic(?) looks good too).

They have monsters in the paint like Stoudemire and Shaq, whose shots will mostly be high percentage feeds from Nash or monster jams.

Looking at their roster, i think that they are the only team with this unique combination of outside\inside threats (feel free to correct me). I mean, the only guards in the league better at finding the open player then Nash (Paul, Williams) dont have reliable guys inside and outside to pass it off to like Phoenix does. And the only teams with players better at getting it done in the paint (like Dwight Howard ect.) dont have guards with the ability to get it too them often enough!

Phoenix has a winning combination, im telling you! There are only two things stopping them from representing the WC in the finals this year;
The Lakers and their Defence.

Reply #210334 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

And a fully fit Spurs lineup.
Offense is not a problem.

Reply #210342 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

I think there's a new threat to the Suns Western Conference Championship aspirations---The Houston Rockets.
The Rockets look like a real contender this team. They have their big 3 of their own with Yao, T-Mac and now Artest.
IMO, those 3 players create disaster for other teams:
You got T-Mac scoring, Yao getting rebounds and Artest scoring and playing great defence.
Artest showed his great defence today, by holding Pierce to 13 points, and forcing him into shooting 5-15 from FG.

Watch out W.C for the Rockets!

Reply #210351 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

DJ; you mean the 0 - 3 Spurs?

The Spurs and Rockets are in the same boat IMO, both great teams when they are healthy, but pretty crappy otherwise. I'd put money on either Yao or T-Mac getting some sort of injury this season. They always do! I mean, Yao could sprain his ankle at training and be predicted to miss 2 games, and before you know it he's out for 8 weeks with ruptured tendons and whatnot.

That being said, I think the Rockets will have it over the Spurs this year, but not the Suns. Their starting 5's look something like:

Nash v Alston
Bell v T-Mac
Stoudemire v Artest
Barnes v Scola
Shaq v Yao

Nash will own Alston, Bell can employ his lockdown D on T-Mac (which he never gets credit for, I think that him and Bowen are the only two players who have ever been able to guard Kobe), Stoudemire v Artest will be interesting because of Stoudemires total lack of D, Barnes has got the experience on Scola and Shaq and Yao will duke it out in the paint.

Reply #210432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754