Softball Lover
Years ago

Jnr Development Officers

Most of the District basketball clubs have a JDO or the like on their books. I am in a committee position in another sport where we are looking at appointing a JDO for our club and so am seeking feedback from forum members on:
* what makes a good JDO
* who makes a good JDO for a club
* what should they do for their club
* what shouldn't they do
* what other experiences have they had.

Please, don't name individuals or slag off other clubs.

Topic #17945 | Report this topic

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

They need to have a great personality a be good with kids. If they cannot get along with young players then it does not matter how experienced they are as a coach.

They will need to love the game, cause they are going to be surrounded by it everyday. Look for someone who is proactive in learning and not afraid to look at other sports for training ideas etc. Their focus should be on promotion and recruiting, then constant development of the players you have. From a club point of view, if you find someone good make sure you look after them, pay for extra training and support them constantly. Hope that helps, as someone who has been a DO and employed DO's my advice would be to take your time and make sure you recruit the right personality for your club.

Reply #210411 | Report this post

Luv2Hoop  
Years ago

Interesting topic. My thoughts:
- Gotta be able to command respect through their own experience. EG: have they played at a high level/coached at a high level, relative to the level your club competes at? Have they had some coaching success in the past? Have they coached at a high level relative to the level your club competes at?
- I think they should be able to relate to the athletes at the level they are coaching. IE an athlete comes to them and says I am fatigued or I am nervous when competing etc. the JDO should have personal experience in dealing with competing whilst fatigued. Ideally they have experience at competing at that level themselves and have worked with lots of athletes at that level and seen how those athletes deal with different situations.
- Have experience working with the best, elite athletes at that level. They need to be able to subjectively and quantitavely asses your club's athletes. They should be able to qualitatively/subjectively asses athletes skills execution and this can be achieved by knowing how experts, at that level, execute those skills and what kinds of results elite athletes, at that level, can achieve.
- Proven knowledge and experience. What coaches have they worked/played under? What courses and qualifications do they have  consider their knowledge on sports science and skills acquisition. How many yrs experience do they have in the sport at the level they are coaching at?
- Good network they can work with to ensure their knowledge is up to date
- Opportunities for your players. Do they have respect of people within your sport's elite pathways. Are they going to teach the skills and fundamentals that will help athletes move up in the elite pathway for your sport?
- Well educated and intelligent
- Very strong work ethic
- Good planner and able to follow through on plans

Reply #210414 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And above all HAVE GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS to be able to communicate to parents and athletes in a courteous and respectful manner - no matter how much they piss you off.

Reply #210416 | Report this post

Softball Lover  
Years ago

Thanks for that, some good feedback :)

Reply #210425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be close to the president. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Reply #210541 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Why do you have to be close to Obama? He has too many body guards for my liking

Reply #210567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754