Quagmire
Years ago

Can Darius Miles play outside of the NBA?

If he suits up for a team outside the NBA- will it effect the Blazers salary cap?

I mean- if he is healthy enough to get close to a spot with the champs, surely there are teams in Europe, or even here that would be interested?

If he signs with another team, NBA or not, he is clearly healthy right?

Topic #17953 | Report this topic

Mantis  
Years ago

Yes to your first question. Long story short, the salary cap rules do not distinguish between NBA and non-NBA contracts. Any contract to play basketball professionally counts.

I think this is what kept Luc Longley from suiting up for the Wildcats after he finished with the NBA - he "medically retired" but if he'd played professional basketball again, anywhere, the insurance coverage for his salary and the cap relief for his team would have been voided.

Reply #210598 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He also would have lost the NBA pension if he played here I think I read somewhere Mantis...

Reply #210601 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Blazers are screwed then coz Darius is gonna get signed to play pro somewhere. He smoked most of his NBA salary and needs the cash.

Reply #210602 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Is it conceivable that the Balzers could pay him bribe money to stay away? Crunch some numbers and come up with a figure that would be mutually benefitial? All under the table of course...

Darius can chill with some grade A from Phil jax's personal stash, Blazers get to keep their cap options.

Reply #210603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing overseas does not effect the NBA pension. As long as they play in the NBA long enough to qualify then it is guaranteed.

Reply #210700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754