me
Years ago

New NBL - Secret meeting at wildcats

From The West today

The outcome of a secret meeting between three renegade NBL clubs in Perth yesterday could halt Australian basketball's reform process and plunge the sport into its biggest crisis in more than a century.

Representatives from Perth, South Dragons and Townsville gathered at the Wildcats' headquarters yesterday to devise a united stance against plans to amalgamate the NBL and Basketball Australia into one body to control the sport across the country.

A new elite men's competition would then be implemented next season to replace the ailing NBL.

League clubs, State associations and BA will assemble in Sydney tomorrow to vote on the unification, which follows an 18-month review of the sports' dysfunctional structure.

At least 75 per cent of the 10 NBL clubs need to be in favour of the proposal for it to succeed. However, while the Wildcats, Dragons and Crocodiles have in principle support for the code's reformation, they are at odds with key parts of the merger blueprint, including the amount of distributions from TV rights, relinquishing team identities to the central body and a demand each club have a minimum of three owners.

The Wildcats would not comment on the discussions involving owner Jack Bendat, his executive staff Andrew Vlahov and Nick Marvin, plus Crocodiles boss Ian Smythe and Dragons part-owner Mark Cowan.

But The West Australian understands the clubs were not prepared yesterday to vote in favour of the merger. Their dissenting voice would be enough to scuttle the reform and leave an already floundering NBL competition with no direction.

A delay in determining basketball's immediate future would jeopardise plans to implement a new men's league by next season and raise doubts about whether an NBL operation struggling to function could survive.

Not even the sweetener of a $30 million pay-TV deal for next year could change some clubs' views.

BA chief executive Scott Derwin revealed yesterday Fox Sports had offered to broadcast every game in the new men's league  but only if the merger was successful.

"Their (Fox Sports) opinion of the way the sport is structured at the moment is that it's completely flawed," Derwin said. "You would hope that offer would get the vote across the line. The alternative is to keep going the way we've been going and I doubt anyone in their right mind would agree to that.

"This is one of those moments in time for the sport that comes along once in a lifetime."

ROSS LEWIS

Topic #17958 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

I am pissed off beyond belief.
I'm sorry, but these guys are absolute ignorant and selfish short-sighted pigs.
They don't deserve to be here and will be begging for forgiveness in 1-2 years to come when their greed and cluelessness consumes them.
I was on cloud 9 when I read about the Fox Sports offer- now I am just really really angry.
I'm going to take off for a bit and cool down.

Reply #210631 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Vhalov has a brick for a head so what else would you expect .

Reply #210632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Already mentioned twice - thread about Obstacle to reform vote, and the Fox thread. Let's keep discussion in either of those topics please.

Reply #210636 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Yeah having the NBL on Fox has done wonders for the competition!!!!

Can't blame the current owners for being concerned if they are being asked to give up team names and part of their ownership for empty promises of future glory.

This could turn into a NRL/Super League debacle.

It would be much better if the NBL was on free to air TV. Can't see how having it on Fox is going to make it easier to get Sponsorship and new fans.

It did work out alright for the A-League, but the Socceroos have also finally come good and getting into the World Cup was a massive boost for football in Australia.

Reply #210640 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sorry Isaac..missed the earlier threads

Reply #210645 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I missed it too- saw this post first.

Reply #210648 | Report this post

Croud Number  
Years ago

There is nothing to stop a FTA deal in the future.

Without the reform, the NBL will be broke and BA will lose millions of dollars of ASC support.

Basketball will be dead.

Reply #210654 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

We need to stop posting on this thread and use the other one.
(Even though I just posted- maybe it needs to be locked Isaac?)

Reply #210662 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Why would the owners support a new NBL/BA merger when:

1. They have to pay $3M for a new licence
(which isn't guaranteed).
2. They may be forced to change the name, logo etc
of their teams which in the case of Perth has
been around for a long time.

On the subject of free-to-air TV: What company or group of companies is going to sponsor FTA TV when the organisational skills of the BNL and BA are suspect.

Many people seem to be against the rebel owners but don't forget, it's their money, and most businesses look to make a profit. There is no proof that the new/proposed NBL will be any better than the current model. Let's wait and see what happens with the vote. Ranting and raving doesn't prove much except outline the business ignorance of the people posting the comments.

Reply #210690 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

ANON12- that's pretty rich- at least the rest of us can read when it says not to post on this topic and use the other thread!

Reply #210692 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Having to pay $3M for the license could see a deterioration in the quality of the league. It could mean tightening their belts when it comes to paying the players. If it cuts into the player's payments it means you will have a tough time enticing good ones. Also having outlaid $3m for the license could mean ticket prices go through the roof. Its just too much money to pay and then not expect that it will be passed onto the spectators.

Reply #210694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me its hardly a secret meeting when it's been reported in the media.

Where do you think they're getting their info from, directly from the owners in the meeting.

I think you'll find BA are asking the clubs to discuss their issues and bring them to BA collectively so there is one owners voice and not ten.

Reply #210706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh that's right, perth, townsville and south melb are all located in the same state, so they should all need to meet between themselves before they screw their heads on properly!

Reply #210719 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

anon 210706

"me its hardly a secret meeting when it's been reported in the media."

The meeting was secret when it took place, or did you know about it? The first line in the story states "secret"

If your only posting value is to take a cheap shot..why bother, as for the...

"I think you'll find BA are asking the clubs to discuss their issues and bring them to BA collectively so there is one owners voice and not ten."

You know this how??

Reply #210725 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"getting into the World Cup was a massive boost for football in Australia."

Actually it had nothing remotely to do with football in Australia.

Reply #210744 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

well today is D-Day coupld hours to go

Reply #210766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754