Anonymous
Years ago

Reform Passes, New league to replace NBL

In an historic move for basketball which will ensure a bright future for the sport, NBL clubs and state and territory associations today passed a unanimous vote for its long awaited reform.

"Today signals a critical moment in the history of basketball in Australia, with the final vote on accepting the recommendations of the review being undertaken by the NBL clubs and Basketball Australia state associations," said Chairman of the Boards of Basketball Australia and the NBL, Mr David Thodey.

Read More

Topic #17964 | Report this topic

DDFan  
Years ago

Why is it that "Anonymous", is always the one that deals me bad news?

And the vote was "unanimous". ; )

Gloat "Anonymous" & Poxtel.

So much for reform.

Reply #210787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DDFan how is there any bad news in this?

And the reform doesn't mean that the Fox deal is signed. Fox is willing to make the offer under certain conditions, which included the BA/NBL merge. But today's vote has nothing to do with the Fox deal and the NewBL will have a decision down the track as to what if any TV deal they'll agree to.

Reply #210788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont even read DDfans posts anymore, just skip to the next one...

Reply #210789 | Report this post

Years ago

DDFan is a douche bag.

Reply #210790 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

So the 3 renegade clubs passed the vote anyone know why or was their a deal reached?

Reply #210791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw it suggested somewhere that some might have voted with a conditional Yes. A representative of the NBL has said the vote was both unanimous and unconditional.

BTW, found this in an article:

One version proposed for the new league is an eight-team format believed to be the favoured model of Fox Sports, which is promising to televise every game in a deal reportedly worth $35 million over five years.

But the detail of that deal needs to be looked at closely. It is not $35 million in TV rights for the NBL, but believed to be Fox Sports' investment over the five years, including production and promotional costs, leaving somewhere between $1-2 million a season in cash for the league.

Also, an eight-team competition means two fewer teams than in the current NBL so the owners' reluctance to unreservedly embrace the change is understandable as they head into today's meeting in Sydney.
(Emphasis added.)

Reply #210792 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Sorry, I didn't see this thread earlier- Isaac, please delete my new thread on this topic!

Good point about the conditions of Fox Sports' deal- that certainly sounds skewed in their favour.
Is channel 10 still interested?
I hear through the grapevine that some are already playing the two off against eachother, so with the reform going ahead, this will give the new NBL a bit more bargaining power than what it had a few hours ago.

Reply #210793 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous #210788, I only became aware of the AU$35M Poxtel deal yesterday, the current OWNERS knew of it, were nervous, & had < 24 hours to comply. Not a consultitive process in MY view.
Anonymouse #210789, glad to speak to you face to face tonight. Either make yourself available, or STFU.
... is the man. Mate, if I'm the CLINT, bring the water bottle & douse me, or STFU.

Reply #210794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DDFan again the vote today has nothing to do with the Fox deal.

The Fox deal was released to show the public, owners, and other involved parties one example of why the reform is required.

Fox are willing to put forward a proposal if reform is acheived, but will not broadcast basketball without a reform.

Today's vote was about reform, but not about Fox. Today's vote was a massive positive for the sport and the only way that the sport has any chance of growing. Who ends up broadcasting NBL, WNBL & Boomers/Opals games is for the new body to decide at a later date.

Reply #210796 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Exactly- there is still a lot of work to be done, but today was to lay the path so to speak.
This is good news for everybody- I am confident some small sacrifices with control issues will pay off in the long run.
The door is open to massive possibilities.

Reply #210797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that they have voted the changes in and reform will go ahead it is a worrying possibility that there will still be people like Seamus who will rort the system in different ways.
He and Cowan are not happy about not being sole owners (rorters?) and against the idea of 3 owners so it's possible they will just get around it by having 2 other silent partners that will have no involvement and just satisfy the criteria on paper.

I guess at least they have voted the reform in so hopefully they will have better ways of monitoring cheats in the future than what we have now.

Reply #210799 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Is there somewhere I can find a summary list of the actual changes being considered?

Reply #210801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl voted for reform when they disolved their board nearly 12 mths ago, its the conditions of the reform and its in the detail?? yet to be released

Reply #210802 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

DDFan,
Are people picking on you un-necessarily?

Reply #210807 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

I just hope that the new channel 10 station next year. Thats showing 24 hr sport's (one HD) will pick up the NBL free to air TV deal. For those of us that don't have foxtel.

Reply #210808 | Report this post

condom_user  
Years ago

Is this as significant as having a black president?

Reply #210809 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

"condom user" for the sake of humanity, I hope you are true to your name!!!!!!!!

Reply #210811 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Im all for any deal that allows me to watch EVERY 36er game throughout the season for the next 5 years! I havent really read through too many posts here, but I saw Isaac mentioned that that was one of the options. 8 teams is ok with me, and surely this means that in the future seasons, more teams will enter basically like the A-League has done....progressive growth. Start from scratch, have the 'powerhouse' teams in, to get it going, and please get rid of Chuck, and basketball in this country will have a far dinkum chance of success IMO!

Reply #210812 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Season starts OCT. Probably good idea.
(After the Sept. footy finals finish)

Reply #210814 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Jack Toft:
"DDFan,
Are people picking on you un-necessarily?"

Never thought of it that way. If I throw something out there that's against the grain, I'd be disappointed if there wasn't some backlash. My only ask, is that they think first. Doesn't happen a lot, but I'll still ply my trade regardless.

Reply #210953 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

So you're saying that you always think first, and a lot more than the rest of us?
I'll agree to disagree...

Reply #210965 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HAHA, I screw up more than anyone. I know it, everyone knows it, but often I throw a swerve ball which has a couple of meanings. I actually enjoy it when they take it the wrong way. ; )

Reply #211278 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

This is a few days old and this topic is somewhat old news now, but I just came across this which confirms that Perth (in particular) did not go willingly in agreeing to the merge and the hunt is now on for an experienced Administrator.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=16&ContentID=107082

Reply #211387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754