Cairns Taipans
Sydney Kings
Brisbane Bullets
Tasmanian Devals
New Zealand Breakers

Topic #17974 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

What exactly are you saying? Are these THE teams that will be playing next year or are these the teams you believe SHOULD be playing next year

Reply #210906 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

just 8 teams is too boring,
and does not allow for development for players and coaches either.

Saw Mottram in at the game tonight, and what sort of league do we have currently {or league rules?!?} where his skills are just not getting used.

anyways should only be teams that have proved that they can get home crowds. I dont want a television only league.

Reply #210908 | Report this post

J-Foxxx  
Years ago

Hobart
Newcastle
Canberra
Geelong
Brisbane
Sydney Kings

Have to be in it along with the current teams.

Reply #210909 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

here is my 10 teams for the newbl

melbourne tigers
adelaide 36ers
perth wildcats
cairns taipans
sydney kings
brisbane bullets
nz breakers
townsville crocs
tassie devils
darwin pioneers

would love to see the last two in the new league!!
cairns has produced some great indigenous players of late. it would be a ballsy ground breaking newbl

Reply #210915 | Report this post

condom_user  
Years ago

AIS cannons, sharing home games between canberra and newcastle is a must. Make it a team of all aussies 22 and under and give them a degree to stop the yanks poaching them all. The chances of them making the NBA will be greater because the standard here is better and the AIS has a huuuuuge reputation in the states.

Reply #210918 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

why didnt you included south dragons???
they are top at the moment and are pretty sure they will play next year

Reply #210919 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

i know the dragons have invested a lot of money in their program and if two teams can co-exist in a city it is melbourne.i agree !

i feel if there is another team in vic it should be in geelong and servicing the region to the sa border for both recruiting and corporate sponsorship.
not sure how the structure of our game will be, if recruitment is in draft form or regional developement,possibly a combination of both would be the best format.

each region working from the ground up for the good of their club and our game.

Reply #210920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Dragons and Tigers would be in.
While FOX prefer 8 teams. BA-NewBL say IF there are ten quality clubs that meet all the criteria for a top quality league, they would go with that, and, IF that is a better option, so would FOX.

Reply #210921 | Report this post

Basket 78  
Years ago

I don't know why Fox would cap the league at 8. The Netball league had 10 teams, the A-league will have 10 next year, with a further two within the next few years.

Reply #210922 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They think 8 gives people a chance to get to know the teams and players. But, it's not a definate 'cap'.
If ten is better, they would go with that.

Reply #210925 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

South should have a team or 2 melbourne teams and i think this may have already been decided. Just a theory I was thinking why did this renegade group of 3 clubs hold a meeting to veto it. Now we now perth will have a team but they were probably unsure of something. But South I think had a problem as Cowan wanted a team so I reckon he has been given a team in the new league unoficially or why would he bother to vote yes. The same goes with the Northen Queensland teams.

Just a theory though

Reply #210927 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Just because the vote went through, doesn't mean they got 100% yes by all parties.
At least one would've voted no, and that could've been Cowan's people.
As for automatic entry for agreeing to vote the changes in, that would be a disgrace, as ALL clubs are sacrificing to say yes to the vote.
Then again that dumbass Derwin did say that Blaze will be in next year ahead of time, so who knows what secret unfair deals (if any) have been done.

Reply #210933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, the same rules that keep Mottram from joining a team are those that prevent Melbourne or South from being the ones to do it, or NZ from adding a second import to an already second-placed team. If those rules weren't there, I don't think Adelaide (doubt we're spending as aggressively as those 2-3 sides) and fans would be quite so happy.

Reply #210935 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I was at the dragon game last night interesting to see Cowan went over and had a lengthy conversation with the Blaze owner who was a few rows in front of my couldnt catch the conversation but seemed pretty serious went over a few times after getting word from his "people". Just floating something out there.

Reply #210937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA, they did announce it as a unanimous decision.

Also, Derwin spoke of being confident that the Blaze could get a good pitch together, rather than guaranteeing it.

Reply #210939 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

In an 8 team league I'd go for:

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
South Dragons
Brisbane
Cairns
Townsville
New Zealand

If 10 teams then:

Sydney
Wollongong/Gold Coast

Notes/Reasons:

Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne & NZ all speak for themselves...

Two teams in Melbourne is a must, proof of this evident from the crowd figures whenever Souths & Melbourne play-off in a derby.

Brisbane was one of the strongest markets before they went bust, no doubt they'll be back.

Cairns & Townsville have proven over many years to both be deserving of a team, and to merge them would only alienate fans (as someone mentioned earlier. Gold Coast would be unlucky to miss out, but they are the newest of the QLD teams and also the worst on-court, therefore making them the most likely to miss out.

The other obvious exemption is Sydney. I know that the league will likely be adamant of the need for a sydney teams if the launch is to be successful. But time and again Sydney-siders have shown complete ignorance and lack of interest in Basketball, so I reckon F'em.

Reply #210985 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

the reason sydney must be in the NewBl is Fox - bizarely its not really even about the fans. You must have both of the dominant markets, Sydney and Melbourne, represented. the others (with absolute respect) simply make up the numbers in terms of TV. combine Adelaide, Townsville, Cairns and Brisbane and you almost get the same TV value as sydney.

If a new sydney franchise can get the model right - al la the Kings of the late eighties/early nineties, then the crowd stuff will look after itself. Kings crowds were the most consistent in the league through the early part of the nineties.

BTW....people are questioning the new AFL setup in West Sydney....but again its about TV....same as the proposed Super 14 franchise in sydney and the proposed A-league franchise...

Reply #211030 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Just clarifying, AIS isn't quite as highly regarded as you may think as far as athlete development.

The institute is however highly regarded in Sports Science and is believed to be one of the best place in the world for sports scientists who undertake their research. (One of the most commonly questioned aspect been their practicality)

So in terms of athlete development, and quality of players in US college you will learn a different concept to the game that is more physical and lot faster pace than here.

I personally work with a few NBL players and develops some high school prospects in preparation for college and above so have some idea with these stuff...

Reply #211036 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Having a Tasmainian and a darwin team would be great, so

but what i dont understand why not have 2 teams in each state??

2 qld
2 nsw
2 vic
1-2 tas
2 sa
2 wa
and maybe even a second team from nz

unfortunetly the blaze i thik will stay only for the pourpase of the market, lets face they are shocking at best, justin bown cant fix anything for them and he will gonna asap for his own good

Reply #211039 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Need to keep 2 team in Melbourne...the rivalry is bringing back the Melbourne spectators to the games.
Love to see Tassie with another team but it will not happen. Canberra is another that will not happen as therwe is enough cash and support for these two cities.

Reply #211051 | Report this post

GoTroppo  
Years ago

Pretty well guaranteed:

Brisbane (Bullets)
Sydney (Kings)
Melbourne (Tigers)
Adelaide (36ers)
Perth (Wildcats)
New Zealand (Breakers)

Brisbane is still doubtful, but if someone comes up with the readies, they'll be put in. Same applies for the Kings. There's plenty of precedence that says the league will support teams in the largest markets - so they're definately in. A new league without Brisbane would be ridiculed pretty quickly.

Next Most Likely (if we go just for 8 team):

Gold Coast (Blaze)
South Melbourne (Dragons)

Gold Coast has something like 1.5m potential punters - demographics like that won't be ignored - regardless of how crap the team is.

Next Up (if we go for 10):

Wollongong (Hawks)
Cairns OR Townsville

This is where I think the league will cause the most grief. Using the above, I can't see how BOTH Cairns AND Townsville will survive even in a 10 club league and one will be dropped (both if they stick to an 8 club league). Why? Cost has to be an issue here - we're the only regional teams at the extremities of the country. So flight costs MUST be substantial. If the NBL is looking to "rebuild", I suspect it'll be at the expense of two of it's most profitable franchises!!!

Reply #211086 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

The new league must be 10 teams - for reasons mentioned previously by other posters. And it should be thus:

Sydney Kings
Melbourne Tigers
Brisbane Bullets
Adelaide 36ers
Perth Wildcats
New Zealand Breakers
Townsville Crocodiles
Cairns Taipans
South Dragons
Gold Coast Blaze

Pretty Simple - Sydney Kings re-established and replace the Spirit. Brisbane Bullets re-established and replace struggling Wollongong.

But in an 8 team league (the league I fear will occur due to pressure from FOX) some hard calls will have to be made.

Sydney Kings
Melbourne Tigers
Brisbane Bullets / Queensland Bullets / Brisbane Blaze
Adelaide 36ers
Perth Wildcats
New Zealand Breakers
TOWNSVILLE TAIPANS
South Dragons

On top of the additions to the 10 team league the following changes should be made:

Townsville and Cairns merge to form something like a Townsville Taipans - rewarding basketball mad Townsville with a team based there but not forgetting Cairns by playing 5-6 games out of there a year and keeping the Taipans monkier to link them to the team.

The other Queensland team is an open lottery. The most obvious answer is to re-instate Brisbane outright but other options should be explored. Maybe a Queensland Bullets or Brisbane Blaze team which is based in Brisbane and plays out of there primarily but plays 3-4 games a year on the Gold Coast as this is a boom area which the NBL should try to keep fans.

Whatever road the new NBL takes they have to remember that they are here to consolidate the sport and bring new fans to it, not lose the ones they already have. The decisons made in the formation of the new league are crucial as we will not get the opportunity to re-build the league like this again.

We need to throw money at Brisbane and Sydney, promote the league and make it WORK! The league literally takes care of itself in the other markets but could be helped with a little publicity. If we can get it right in these markets, with involvement from Fox, there will be a flow on effect with sponsorship.

Reply #211151 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Crooked:
"We need to throw money at Brisbane and Sydney, promote the league and make it WORK!"

Anybody else see that coming? *** sarcasm ***

Crooked:
"The league literally takes care of itself in the other markets but could be helped with a little (please mentally read "little" as being in bold format) publicity."

So they can just keep looking after themselves (we'll look after Sydney & Brisbane (with everyone else's money)).

Crooked:
"If we can get it right in these markets (Sydney & Brisbane), with involvement from Fox (in Sydney), there will be a flow on effect with sponsorship (in Sydney & Brisbane)".

Apologies, I put the bracketed comments in for you Crooked.

Reply #211164 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Jordan's team system gets my vote.
It all makes sense, but unfortunately won't happen (only because it makes sense). ; )

Reply #211166 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK, with AFL they say you need 500,000 population to support a team. So applying the same clinical logic to basketball and assuming it is an Australasian league with 10 teams (8 teams is just stupid!)

Population = 25 M (2.5 M/team)

NSW = 6.9 M (2.8 quota)
VIC = 5.2 M (2.1)
QLD = 4.2 M (1.7)
Nth = 3.2 M (1.2)
WA = 2.1 M (0.8)
SA = 1.6 M (0.6)
Sth = 1.2 M (0.5)
Tas = 0.5 M (0.4)
ACT = 0.3 M (0.1)
NT = 0.2 M (0.1)

Therefore, you would expect:
NSW 3 teams (current 2) (Spirit, Hawks)
Vic 2 teams (2) (Dragoons, Tiggers)
Qld 2 teams (3) (Cairns, Towns, GC)
Nth Is 1 team (1) (NZ)
WA 1 team (1) (Cats)
SA 1 team (1) (Sixers)

Would love to see the current attendance for games per club (AFL love advertising that stuff!) I would expect the Sixers and Tiggers would be up there, NSW teams down....

Reply #211170 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

maybe cairns and townsville should merge,much to the dismay of their loyal fans.
NQ crocs,base in townsville and splitting home games between mackay,townsville & cairns.
there is a huge basketball following in nq that should be built on !!

Reply #211180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack the Tigers average 2,500 a game in a tiny 3,500 capacity stadium.

Reply #211181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754