Anonymous
Years ago

Would a Luxury Tax work in the NBL?

Why have the NBL not tried a luxury cap similar to the NBA. Set it at say 1.2 million. Every dollar that is spent over the salary cap must be paid to the league. Eg if a team spends 1.4 million...they give 200k to the league. At the end of the year the money is split up and divied out to all the teams under the cap.
Paying over the cap essentially costs you double and it wil surely deter some clubs from overspending and benefit the clubs that palay by the rules.

Topic #17993 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

but none of the teams are over the salary cap according to Mr. Harmison. (TIC)

Reply #211198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And if they can't track the cap spending now, how would they know what tax to call for?

Reply #211200 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

only solution is to publicise the contracts that players are on

Reply #211205 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Confiscate brown paper bags, & saw the legs off every table in Australia. That should do it. ; )

Reply #211208 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I still like the idea of a marquee player that you can pay whatever you want as well as a cap applying to the other members of the team - kind of a one-player luxury tax, I suppose.

I've also been contemplating focusing on salary minimum more than worrying about the maximum - and then rather than giving the league back any surplus money to give to the 'poor' clubs, tying the salary spend into a compulsory marketing spend, ie:

1) Spend what you like on the cap, but you have to be above $X

2) For your salary spend, your team MUST spend a fixed percentage on marketing (say 10 or 20 percent?)

2a) Or that 10% goes to the NewBL to spend on league-wide marketing

2b) Or maybe split it both ways: 5% to be spent by the team marketing itself locally, and the other 5% to go to the NewBL to market the league generally.

So if the cap minimum is $1 million, each team must spend no less than $100K on marketing. If you (aka that Forrest guy in WA who's worth a bomb and could, hypothetically, own the Wildcats, or any other NewBL team for that matter) land Lebron as your marquee player in 2010 for $50 million per, you need to spend $5 million on marketing.

I guess my point is that tying compulsory marketing into the NewBL financial structure could be something worth doing, if it's legal?

Reply #211220 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I too like the idea of a marquee player exemption a la the A-League. If a team, say Melbourne for example, can afford the 800k that a Julius Hodge is asking for, why not let him be signed as their marquee player? Obviously it would pain me to see Julius play for the Tigers, but the idea of a marquee player exception would help to improve the quality of imports in the league, or perhaps even draw some european-based Aussies back home.

Of course, besides Melbourne and the Dragons (at present), I'm not sure if any other teams could afford a marquee player IN ADDITION to the current salary cap payments. But I think its an idea at least worth exploring, especially if it improves the quality of imports playing here, 'cos lets face it, this years crop of new imports absolutely suck.

What do other think?

Reply #211246 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

interesting idea about marquee players.
i guess the down side would be teams like melb cheating the salary cap then adding a marquee player,

"the rich get richer and the poor get the picture"

do any professional sports teams stick to salary caps?

most are extensions of their owners dicks !!

maybe the minimum salary is the more important issue.

Reply #211251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754