Woodville right? What time

Topic #1810 | Report this topic

Farviewer  
Years ago

5pm tip off afaik

Reply #20546 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

I know this may have been covered to death but can someone please explain it to me what this academy side is supposed to achieve. My understanding was that if the sixers have a run of injuries then a player would be ready to step into this situation and be ready to play. With the success of AIS player Brad Hill has this superseded the academy already and proven that the program is never going to work.

Just my thoughts, sorry if anyone disagrees

Reply #20586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any details of the game? wat was the final score?

Reply #20614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodies made academy look real good

Reply #20642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be joking or watching the game with green and gold clouding your vision.
Woodville had nobody and mainly under 20 players or players just out of under 20 by 1 year who couldnt shoot foul shots.
Academy although have played better certainly were doing ok considering they lose Hambour and Gerlach at half time and Kies didnt arrive from work till late.
Academy won each quarter and won the game outright.

Reply #20647 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Any word on how Karving Karvelis went?

Reply #20649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crows98 isnt it worth it though? I have nothing to do with it other than someone that is an interested observer.

To say to a kid, ok u didnt make it to the AIS but this is still could be your next best shot. Brad Hill will be a top 8 player in an nbl program very quickly but you still need training bait and you would think this will come from the kids in the Acadamy. In addition its only going to strength the ABL which inturn will better prepare the odd player that makes and NBL team from the ABL. Plus it certainly seems to attract alot of interest from the ppl in this forum.

Reply #20651 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Anonymous woodville does have decent players, Gary Birmingham and Camron Wilson, but 2 decent player cannot defeat the Academy team as every1 knows that the academy has been selected as future prospects. And as with the condition that the woodville ABL side is in at the moment the outcome didnt surprize me.
You've got to look at it like this the Academy is selected from the top players from all different clubs, Compared to woodville who are running a young side as a few of there abl starters have moved on from the club.

Reply #20653 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Can someone tell me how Leon Karvelis went?

Reply #20659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scored a couple of points but had no real impact, hardly noticed he was on the court.

Reply #20661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crows 98,

Originally those were my thoughts. What's the point of the Academy when AIS players are just going to leapfrog it into the 36'ers squad.

But that doesn't mean it is never going to work.

If one player makes the NBL that previously wouldn't have then the Academy will have been succesful.

There are however two issues I think need to be looked at.

Firstly my opinion of the team is.

And I mean no disrespect, there are plenty of good perimiter players on the team. But they dont have size.

I would love for these players to prove me wrong but I don't see any of them being able to cut it in the NBL. (height not game)
Are any of them taller than Jason Williams because he plays a guard spot in the NBL. How many guards do the 36'ers need. Especially if we keep Ng, Hill ang jag Ingles in a year or two.

There may be no big men suitable for the Academy in which case my criticism is unfair and I apologise.

The second issue I have is funding.
Correct me If I'm wrong but,
most of he money comes from sponsors
10k comes from each club
Is that per year?

Ten grand is a lot to invest on one individual that may or may not make it to the NBL.

Would some clubs be better off investing 10k into their JDO with the aim to get more kids to the AIS?

Lastly and please correct me if its not true. One club out of ten hasn't put any money forward. But has a player in the squad.

If this is the case, purely from a financial poin of view is it that smart to spent 10k on a program that developing one of your opponents for free?

Having said all that I do believe we need the Academy because not everyone that makes the NBL is going to make the AIS.

Reply #20706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that each club are putting in $2000
and other than Hambour there is no big guys currently fitting into the age brackett ie under 23

Reply #20737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks

Hambour is the biggest in SA u23 thats a worry!

Is he taller than Dodman

Reply #20740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont know, but Dodman is still doing sasi and the other criteria was to be out of sasi ie at the end of 2nd year under 18.
Isnt Dodman going to ais anyway

Reply #20742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is,
I wasn't suggesting him for Academy
just using him as he was the first big junior I could think of.

Reply #20747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What happened to Bungy from the Mavs?

Reply #20749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oop's forgot about Bungy(But i could be forgiven because he has not trained or played for months due to injury)

Reply #20755 | Report this post

It is not really fair to say they have no height. Sure they dont have anyone who is 6"10 but in the SEABL who is!? (apart from Ozzie and perhaps Kent.) Big guys in our league are 6"7 and of those the academy has Hambour, Hoban, Bungey (when fit) and look for Hoban Jr to dome through in the future.

richard, was not really impressed with Karvelis. Barely got a sniff of the ball. I hope for the sake of the Warriors they have a big man import coming in to save the day. They looked short and VERY undermanned. Could be a very tough season.

Reply #20773 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is that Leon from West? Is he now playing at Woodville???

Reply #20776 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Cheers Jay.
he will hopefully pick up a bit, he was pretty nervous about playing in a new team, when he is on he can play some pretty good ball

Reply #20777 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

thats it panther
young guy from west that almost came to you boys

Reply #20778 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Well, didn't Gerlach get an NBL gig? Isn't that proof of the Academy's pudding?

Reply #20780 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Still don't know why he didn't continue on with us.

Reply #20782 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

Gerlach and Hambour got a seat on the NBL bench. The way Josh Wood played, I'd expect to see him on the bench soon as well.

Reply #20784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerlach, Sutton , Benson, Campbell (& ?) trained with the 36ers before the acadamy was born , Hambour has been training for a couple of years I think

Reply #20789 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

So if the 36ers rookies are to come via the AIS (eg Hill), or have already been identified (eg Gerlach, Hambour), why do the member clubs pay $20k to support the Academy? Isn't this just another levy on junior basketball?

Reply #20790 | Report this post

Checker Hughes  
Years ago

Is that 20k per year?

Reply #20839 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Panther,
Leon struck up a deal with Scans, then when he left the deal kind of fell through, and I understand a couple of other new blokes have come, and not being the bottom dwelling side last year, Leon couldnt fit on the south roster due to the new players rule

Reply #20859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jay R,

It is fair to say they have no height
If they have no height!

You miss the point these guys don't need to be big enough for the SEABL they have to be able to phisically compete in the NBL. A league which is growing every year.

Reply #20891 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754