Player10
Years ago

Does the team reflect the record?

the 36ers have the best import tandem in the league, brett maher coming off the bench and a 7 footer with nba experience, when their at their best their only ok and when their at their worst its terrible to watch, why cant they win? is it the coach? the team not working together?

Topic #18168 | Report this topic

ballerbands  
Years ago

not to mention three other players who have played for the BOOMERS no less!!! being jacob holmes, aaron bruce and brad davidson!! plus winitanan has played for his country and won a NZ MVP award! I dont know whats going on man!!! I am starting to think its the coach? on paper these guys are an awesome team!!

Reply #213673 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Yeah. If you look at the 36ERS Roster VS. Sydney Spirit roster, we have the upper hand by a long shot.
Sydney's roster is so weak, except for D-Low. I don't know how they have won games this year. The players on the 36ers roster aren't performing. I mean alot of the guys have had considerable experience, but that was back in the day. Just because you did something then, doesn't mean you could still do it now. Look at Maher. He is well past his time. Bruce, may have played College ball for four years, but what people don't realise is that his Freshman year was outstanding, and his other seasons were terrible. I think that people are forgetting that he was never really the same after his Freshman year.

The 36ers and the fans might think we have a solid roster and in some aspects we do. But the guys that should be performing are not e.g Winitana,Bruce,Maher etc.

Reply #213680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's no question that they should have a better record than they do, but at their best, they are better than OK. The third quarter at the Dome against the Cats, the 63 point first half against Sydney on Friday and Saturday night's comeback against the Dragons have been very good.

It's easy to talk about a team's talent "on paper" and how they should be performing, but the game's not played on paper. Someone might say Bruce could be a Boomer, someone else might say he's a rookie just out of college playing critical minutes and working to find consistency. Holmes made extended Boomer squads and is a rebounding fiend, but to others maybe he's come from a dud Dragons side, shoots flat and gets some boards following up his own misses. Maher is a club and NBL champion, but he's also winding down in his last season. That sort of range of performance is true for almost every player in the league, including MVP candidates like Anstey (rarely ventures into the paint, prone to jacking threes) and Williams (has no range on his shot, didn't even start last game).

The import tandem has been together for two games, done well, and had two narrow losses. Maher has been starting when fit, not coming off the bench. And having NBA experience doesn't mean Luke is going to romp through every game - the challenge seems to be more about getting him into the game when the two imports are often such good options to score.

Much of the problem in the last game seemed to be the open shots to Ingles and Herbert. Before fouling at the end, it was realistically a 2-4 point game, and contesting a couple of threes might've been enough to push the result our way. That or not losing Hodge to cramp.

I think with improvement from both the coaching group in what they can get out of the roster and the players themselves, the team will get there.

Reply #213682 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"I think with improvement from both the coaching group and the players, the team will get there."

The coaching group don't get a chance to improve do they? Geez.....I thought they were meant to know everything from the first moment?????

Reply #213684 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

'The team will get there'

LOL

Hopefully in the next decade.

Reply #213713 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Took the woerds out of my mouth Isaac, enough said!

Reply #213714 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO:

"The coaching group don't get a chance to improve do they? Geez.....I thought they were meant to know everything from the first moment?????"

They are PAID from day 1 to do that aren't they, or do they get a bonus for waking up once the finals are done?

BTW, you're just about to announce that I know who you source is, aren't you?

Reply #213716 | Report this post

Player10  
Years ago

im a huge 36ers fan and go to every game thinking positively about a win,and if whatever you read from me sounds like im baging the team im not,its just 6 years of frustration,but is anyone else sick of the performances that are being put up,forget the excuses,every team has injuries,its a simple yes or no answer,we have the team,the coach seems to know what hes doing,WHY ARE WE SO AVERAGE

Reply #213722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we need a shooting guard that can hit 3's even with a hand in his face. Schen is 7ft and could probaly touch the ring without jumping, with his nba and college experience, why isnt he dominating the post and dunking on everyone? espicaly when on saturday night burston and horvath where on 5 fouls each. even though scotty has done great things for this club this year, i dont think he is the guy to take them to the next level, but on the other hand, how many guys on this team have international experience and probaly dont need to be told how to dominate.

Reply #213734 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

SKUX, to say Bruce's last three years were terrible is just silly. Yes, his numbers dropped off, but even is his senior year, which was statistically his worst, he put 9ppg and 2apg as part of a deep guard rotation on a team that made the NCAA tourney. His form dropped off a fair way through the latter part of conference play too, so those numbers are somewhat skewed.

His 2nd and 3rd years, he averaged a combined 12/3/3. Quite solid, especially when playing in a tough conference on a poor team.

Reply #213764 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

attended my first game saturday night and was very frustrated with schensh. The big fella needs to play like a big fella, surely he has shown this in the past in his stint in the NBA, or did he just rely on his little baby hook?

Reply #213769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when players do well offensively like hill people are unhappy about their defending. when players are better defenders people get unhappy about their scoring, like cooper or winitana.

Reply #213785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754