The Brad
Years ago

Hill v Winitana

It was going to happen sooner or later, but do people think that Winitana is the victim of Brad Hill getting extra minutes due to his Father being A/C?
In a lot of the games I think Brad has played well and deserved his minutes, but who do people rate higher, Winitana or Hill?
From watching pre season games I thought Winitana brought a lot more than Brad. But during the season it has somewhat changed to go the other way.
Where and how do we now fit Winitana into the game plan now we have Hodge and Hill playing in front of him?

Topic #18169 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

In another thread, someone mentioned that Winitana was still trying to get over an ankle injury. That might have prevented him from getting minutes on Saturday night.

Other than that, do you have to fit him into the game plan? There are already players competing for minutes as it is.

Reply #213665 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Do you think Hill is getting more minutes because Winitana has missed two Sunday games and Hill is showing alot of promise and potential?

Winitana is the hustle and bustle but is not a scoring threat!

Hill has the potential to be a decent scoring swingman/slasher.

Reply #213668 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We don't fit him in. He can come on if we are up by 20. Winitana has been given lots of opportunities and has averaged 17 minutes per game and in that time has only averaged 2 point per game! He can't bring his good form in trainings into games.

Hill has earned his minutes as he has been playing very well and if anything deserves a lot more minutes. It has nothing to do with his dad favouring him.

Reply #213670 | Report this post

Tripa  
Years ago

I dont understand how it is ok to take stats on sunday but not to play if he cannot play he should not be be there please let me know the difference.

Reply #213674 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I cannot wait until Brad starts hitting his 3s, he has good technique, its only a matter of time.

Love Paora's chest bump with Julius in the intro, very cool.

Reply #213685 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

Cant say it any better than KingJames

Reply #213697 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

winitana never really did much in nz so why did we think he'd do much here? a good pre season is what it is, a pre season that counts for nothing. cant polish a turd by throwing it in a sixers uniform!

Reply #213702 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

vanexel31 - it's surprising they didn't realise that after not renewing Adrian Mastrovich's contract.

Reply #213708 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Give the guy a bit more credit then that! His time will come and he could be a handy defensive weapon off the bench come finals time.

I would actually expect him to play this week. He played on Saville in the Pre-season and did very well on him. So Ninnis might use him on Saville.

Reply #213720 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"winitana never really did much in nz"

He's done very well in NZ, not necessarily for the Breakers but he dominates the NZNBL.

Hill is way ahead at the moment.

Reply #213729 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i was refering to the breakers, heard he was good in the new zealand league. seeing as ive never seen him play in it i cant comment on it.

Reply #213756 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I liked Winitana in the pre-season, but he's slowed down in the regular season. He'll be out of the rotation now and struggle for minutes with Hodge & Hill.

Hill has started performing and showing good form in the last month. He deserves to be rewarded now.

The ankle is still bad for Winitana and all he can do is keep working. He's always talked about as doing well and going hard @ training. But game day is different and new intensity. This is where he fails.

Reply #213765 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Wintana is a good body to go in upset and hit people as davis did back in 97 but the key thing for him is contributing in offence, we can't have another Nash typle player just passing and not being offensivelyh aggressive. I say play Hill more than wintana as atleast he is having a real go and trying, its nothing to do with his dad the kid is a real raw talent.

Reply #213822 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Nothing personal against Winitana, but there's simply no room for him. Brad Hill has shown real promise and has arguably been the most consistent player off the bench (partly becuase of Davo's struggles to overcome inj).

Brad Hill's stats are as follows:
18 mpg, 7.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.3 bpg, 2.0 topg, 1.5fpg. Shooting %'s are 38%, 5% & 81%.

If you increase his stats to a 30 mpg basis, they would look something like this:
12 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.5 bpg, 3.3 topg, 2.2 fpg.

To me, those are very useful numbers. Okay his, shooting percentage is poor, but if you ignore his 1-22 shooting from behind the arc he is actually shooting 46% (39-84) from the field and you can't complain about 81% from the stripe. Then the only other issue is his very high TO rate, and given the number of quality ballhandlers on our team its probably not a big issue if his TO's are a bit high.

Thoughts?

Reply #215271 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wini has had some injury concerns this season - ironically due to Hilly stepping on his foot!

Both are good players for different purposes.

However, Hilly has done well this season considering that we are guard heavy.

Reply #215286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754