Tripa
Years ago

Refs Are Holding Sport Back!!!

I'm so over refs gettin it wrong! Its time for referees to stop callin what they think may have happened or overlookin things that did happen. Over the years the players skills have improved the but the refereeing is at an all time low this goes for all sports but inparticular professional sports such as basketball soccer afl and cricket. Referees need to be told the game does not revolve around and that a good referee should be seen but not over heard.

Topic #18172 | Report this topic

love the bludge  
Years ago

this thread should be titled "lock me before I get personal and abusive"

Reply #213675 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Tripa, were you picked on by refs when you were younger?

Reply #213677 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

I guess we will be seeing Tripa at the next Level 0 Ref course since he seems to know so much.... What is your solution instead of just bagging???

Reply #213683 | Report this post

Tripa  
Years ago

Make them professional. I know its a hard job done a fair bit of it myself and in different sports but it should never be taken personally when a player gets upset with a call and has a go at the ref. I have also done the course for soccer refereeing. Refereeing is about people management as much it is about the rules. Sometimes it seems that the only time referees are ever listened to in life is when they blow the whistle. everyone likes to have an audience unfortunatley the middle of the court, field or pitch is not the time or place for this to happen for a referee.

Reply #213707 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I do agree in part with this thread, Referees in alot of Australian sports really do need to lift their game. If you watch World Cup Rugby, the Refs and Players are respectful to each other, the quality of refereeing is fantastic, to the point that a bad ref is rarely seen after one season. I think its because of this the players respond better to the refs.
Players shouldnt be able to abuse referee's but then if you take the 20 bad calls out of a game, most people are smart enough to know when they have commited a foul and can accept it.

Reply #213715 | Report this post

Tripa  
Years ago

Skud you know exactly where im coming from.

Reply #213719 | Report this post

Basketball fan  
Years ago

You have to have Refs to have a game. The Problem is most Refs not all but most have never played the game at a high level. So when they call a game they really dont have a feel for what is going on. It could be post players going at it pushing each other around, a foul is called on one off the ball when both are doing it. Then the coach gets upset and has a go at the ref. The next thing you know is that the ref has taken it personally and the coach is slapped with a T. No feel for the game.If they call it on one it has to be called on the other, if they call the game the same way all game everybody knows to adjust to how they are calling it. To me the Refs have done a good job when they are not noticed. At the moment they are being noticed abd need to do a lot off work.

Reply #213721 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

think SA refs are bad, try the refs here in Surfers, so friggin retarded... apparently a carry can be called when you don't even dribble the ball lol

Reply #213740 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I thought they were all professional! - aren't they all gettnig paid?

I was always led to believe that if you get paid you're a professional....

Reply #213746 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I will support you motion that referees who get it wrong should be bagged, as long as it is a two way street.

How many times do referees have to keep busting their arse to make good position turnover after turnover.

I have yet to see a referees turn to the coach and say 'Call a timeout you dickhead, you are getting flogged out here'

Hence if a referee can remain disciplined (professional), maybe the coaches and players need to become a little more professional and learn how to bite their tongue also.

Reply #213750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fm what are you talking about refs bustin their arses to make good position i could call a game from five rows back sittin down. thats the problem less looking for something that only they see and more of what everyone can see, it's always good to get a refs point of view tho.

Reply #213857 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

By professional, you mean a 'full-time' career. It will only happen at the highest level. Still, if that career path exists, it might entice more people to start reffing and improve the base of quality referees.

Problem is, who pays for it? You gonna pay $15 to play a game to subsidise the full-time referees at NBL level?

Reply #213899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754