Portal to the...
Years ago

Disrespectful Adelaide crowd

Ok, so Darnell's foul on Farley was unnecessary. Did the idiotic crowd really need to boo him? I mean, look at the rafters morons, there would not be three out of the four 36ers flags there if it wasn't for Darnell Mee.

And when number 9 (Rice) got fouled off, the whole crowd was so overjoyed about singing "Hit the Road Jack"... Again, look up at the scoreboard, and you would find your team down by 10 with 4 minutes left. I'm sure he couldn't care that he got fouled off because he won.

Topic #1818 | Report this topic

Checker Hughes  
Years ago

36'er fans reserve the right to boo anyone in an oponents jersey. Ex-36'er legend or not.
He got a decent cheer before the game I'm sure he can cope.

Reply #20677 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

Portal to the...,
where have you been all season??? giving fouled off players a send off is tradition at the dome, it is just part of the fun. Do you have a sense of humor ?

Reply #20679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And when number 9 (Rice) got fouled off, the whole crowd was so overjoyed about singing "Hit the Road Jack"... Again, look up at the scoreboard, and you would find your team down by 10 with 4 minutes left. "

Exactly.. Just enough time for the crowd to get itself into the game and help the 6ers make up that deficit.

Reply #20680 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"there would not be three out of the four 36ers flags there if it wasn't for Darnell Mee."

Funny. I thought we only won two with him and KB. If my memory serves me rightly, Bill Jones and Mark Davis ..... and Willie Farley and Matt Garrison were the two import pairings in the other titles.

And anyway, this is Australia. We love getting into people. I say boo him, and boo him loud ..... and then if he returns, cheer him again. The Aussie fickle fan - gotta love it.

Reply #20681 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

And Darnell would have almost expected it. He knows the Adelaide crowd, and knows that they would have given him a ride.

It is a pity though, it all stemmed from something that should have never hapened, but thats in another thread :)

Reply #20684 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

thats terrible the crowd should of not bood the best player in the league and former sixer championship player.really i would of expected it in victoria but not adelaide...

Reply #20688 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

"where have you been all season??? giving fouled off players a send off is tradition at the dome, it is just part of the fun. Do you have a sense of humor ?"

I know very well it's a tradition, a stupid one at that, I have been a season ticket holder for about 8 years. I don't see the freakin point in jeering an opposition player when it's obvious 36ers are going to win. It just proves Adelaide (well, the majority) crowds are morons and are not there to watch the game, rather to be seen there and be 'trendy'

And it is also laughable that you question my sense of humour. I guess that answers your question...

Reply #20705 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

I would rather have a Mee over a Farley any day

Reply #20725 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

sure does !

Reply #20729 | Report this post

Portal to the...

so thats what i need to be trendy .. a season ticket around my neck.

"don't see the freakin point in jeering an opposition player when it's obvious 36ers are going to win."
we lost you moron !

Reply #20731 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, giving them a send off is a tradition in almost every stadium I've ever visited.

Part of the game. Also the way the Adelaide crowd does it is part of what makes playing in Adelaide intimidating for opposition teams.

Eeven Goorjian acknowledges Adelaide fans are the hardest to play in front of, because of the way they can intimdate the opposition, and lift the 36ers when needed.

Reply #20733 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Goorjian hates the Adelaide crowd because of their knowledge of the game. They pick up every error the opposition make and call it out for the refs to pick up. For Goorjian, its like playing a game with 5,000 refs.

Reply #20735 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

it was definatley a foul but at the end i think he was just preventing him from falling down. mee destroys farley in evry way and he shut him down

Reply #20736 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

It's a common thing for the crowd to attempt to distract the opposing team. Helps to stop opposing momentum, lifts the team, etc. Generally gets the crowd more into the game. Is it really 'disrespectful'? I doubt that Darnell would really be affected by the crowd's response to his foul. It happens (to a degree) in all sports.

Love your work EC.

Reply #20743 | Report this post

Lev Makaev  
Years ago

If all the rumours are true that Darnell wanted to finish his career in Adelaide, things might have changed after saturday nights game.

Reply #20762 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

"don't see the freakin point in jeering an opposition player when it's obvious 36ers are going to win."

Heh, whoops. Well I'm sure even in your blonde state you'd be able to see what I meant

Reply #20767 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"If all the rumours are true that Darnell wanted to finish his career in Adelaide, things might have changed after saturday nights game."

As if he would even care.

Reply #20774 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah he is a pro player and knows how much this town respects him so i would think he would take it as a game reaction not as a real personal attack. That said i never thought i would have heard them boo him before that day and i was kinda sad that they did it, no one in my section near me did and i was grateful for that at least.

Reply #20814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly, if he took it to heart he shouldn't be playing. He would've known the crowd wouldnt be happy, what do you expect the crowd to cheer him? Or sit there not making a noise making the game boring. If a professional can't handle it then what good are they... we dont want players like ron artest playing and fighting spectators now do we ;)

Every week the refs get boo'd does it seem to bother them? no. Are they just there to do their job? yes. Will you see them there next game? most probably.

It's not disrespectful, it's a way to get the crowd into the game. Everyone's seen how farley plays when the crowd gets behind him, he even fires up the crowd.

Reply #20815 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

It's fine to boo players, but not legends of the club like Darnell.

Reply #20830 | Report this post

uh-huh  
Years ago

Whoever started this post is acting like a grandma. It's a part of being in an elite sport, you're not just playing the other team, but the venue and the crowd. Being an elite sportsman i'm sure Mee wouldn't have even bat an eyelid about it. Get over it.

Reply #20834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's good for one player is just as good for another, no matter who they are. They'll deal with it. I think the general idea was people saw it as an attack on farley. There are around 5000 people at the games, I would say close to half those people don't know what's going on in the league as a whole. It wont effect what darnell does in the way of coming to adelaide or not as he knows if he comes the whole crowd will be behind him. It was just a small foul that looked ugly I thought. Most spectators would just see it and think he was trying to injure Farley. It's not disrespectful, it's perception of what happened.

Most players in the league would know, do something that even LOOKS close to an attack on a home player they'll get boo'd no matter where they play, no matter who they are.

Reply #20835 | Report this post

Thats Terrible  
Years ago

It just makes our crowd look unintelligent. Like we dont know the sport. Darnell has been a great player for our club and it annoys me when people who dont know the game like cut sick for a tough foul. Basketball is a contact sport so the crowd should stop being soft. Rule of bball, you dont give the opposition easy buckets. Plus hit the road jack should be reserved for when were winning. It just struggles that we do it when were about to recieve a tough lose

Reply #20890 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I haven't been to a (decent) game for a bit, but the Adelaide crowd is one with a long memory. Just ask Mark Bradtke, Shane Heal, Flopper Lowry. They also remember (and appreciate) the good stuff but LOVE a villan. Once the next game has come through town everyone will have forgotten about Mee, especially if he comes back.

It is part of being a elite anything. You will never please all of the people all of the time.

Reply #20937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booooooooo to this thread

;)

Reply #158282 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

cough cough, a bit of dust on this thread champ

Reply #158292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754