Bo Hamburger
Years ago

New hoops book unleashes word 'macrophenomenal'

If Mrs Hamburger is reading, I may have found my Xmas present for this year: The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac.

There's a good review here. If you're like me and never heard of the word 'macrophenomenal', let alone it used in the context of analysing today's NBA stars, here's a brief summary from said review:

It isolates a handful of the current NBA's most intriguing stylists (Kobe, LeBron, Yao Ming) and subjects them to a sustained flurry of unorthodox methodology. Each player is assigned a free-associative "spirit animal": Stephon Marbury is a prairie vole, Rasheed Wallace an Egyptian mongoose, and Chris Paul a Mindoro stripe-faced fruit bat.

Unusual data sets are plotted on baroque charts and graphs: We learn, for example, that Gilbert Arenas's three-point percentage counterintuitively improves the farther he is from the basket.

Topic #18186 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free Darko is by far my favourite NBA blog. Waiting on this from Amazon at the moment.

Reply #213903 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754